March 2020: Update on ITAS Conversion to ITAP

jaxpang81

Hi, I just want to update some information regarding ITAS conversion to ITAP. As I'm entering 3rd year of Marriage stated on the Surat Laporan Perkawinan issued by Dukcapil, I'm eligible to apply for ITAP. I'm aware that you're only required 2 years of marriage to apply ITAP, but unfortunately for me, the date on my Surat Laporan Perkawinan is a few days later than the ITAS expiry date. Therefore I had to apply ITAS last year and I was only few days away from the 2nd year of marriage. Imagine the feeling. So... I just had my first visit today at Kantor Imigrasi Kelas I Khusus Jakarta Barat near Kota Tua. Basically the guide from this link: https://www.expatindo.org/spousal-kitas-kitap/ almost cover all your preparation (for first visit and 2nd visit), but there are few things have changed.
First, 3 copies of docs are no longer required, so only 1 copy for each doc. Second, Surat Laporan Perkawinan needs to be legalized (in indonesia legalisir). If it isn't for the 2nd point, I would've done the 2nd visit already which is submitting all the doc's copies and the original passport. So I quickly headed to Dukcapil (Jln. S Parman) to get my Surat Laporan Perkawinan legalized in hope I could make it back here, but only to find that the Dukcapil's closed from 17/3 - 31/3. I guess some of the government's activities are affected by the Covid-19 issue. So there's nothing I can do now but to wait until 1st of April. I will keep this thread posted.

Thanks for the post and future updates, that will be very useful.

What people shouldn't forget, is that the requirements can be different between Immigration offices (amount of copies necessary, legalization yes or no, certain Surat yes or no, ...). We've also seen than in KITAP extensions etc. So always check at your local office.

Any indication that the Kantor Imigrasi Jakarta Barat might close down?

I do really hope they have a one integrated system for all, but seems like a long way to go. I didnt ask if they are going to close down over Covid-19 issue, since I wont be popping up there anytime after I got my Surat Laporan Perkawinan legalized first at least after 31/03. But you can always contact their whatsapp hotline +62 811-9273-003 for inquiries. They will respond but expect slower on specific matters.

Last edited:
Hi, I just want to update some information regarding ITAS conversion to ITAP. As I'm entering 3rd year of Marriage stated on the Surat Laporan Perkawinan issued by Dukcapil, I'm eligible to apply for ITAP. I'm aware that you're only required 2 years of marriage to apply ITAP, but unfortunately for me, the date on my Surat Laporan Perkawinan is a few days later than the ITAS expiry date. Therefore I had to apply ITAS last year and I was only few days away from the 2nd year of marriage. Imagine the feeling. So... I just had my first visit today at Kantor Imigrasi Kelas I Khusus Jakarta Barat near Kota Tua. Basically the guide from this link: https://www.expatindo.org/spousal-kitas-kitap/ almost cover all your preparation (for first visit and 2nd visit), but there are few things have changed.
First, 3 copies of docs are no longer required, so only 1 copy for each doc. Second, Surat Laporan Perkawinan needs to be legalized (in indonesia legalisir). If it isn't for the 2nd point, I would've done the 2nd visit already which is submitting all the doc's copies and the original passport. So I quickly headed to Dukcapil (Jln. S Parman) to get my Surat Laporan Perkawinan legalized in hope I could make it back here, but only to find that the Dukcapil's closed from 17/3 - 31/3. I guess some of the government's activities are affected by the Covid-19 issue. So there's nothing I can do now but to wait until 1st of April. I will keep this thread posted.
Hi , looking at doing the conversion in a few months , were you told by Immigration that you have to do all the running around , to Kantor Wilayah for there approval , then to Jakarta for the Director General of Immigration's approval ? I'm down in South/East Java , Banyuwangi area . Already a 6 hour return drive to Immigration in Jember . I've just renewed my Kitas and was told by an officer that when I do the conversion I have to take everything here , there and everywhere ! Just trying to find out any info from others in Java . I have mates in Bali , the Immigration office there does everything in regard to sending /getting it to other offices involved ! Only travelling they did was from home to the office ,15 minutes . To the Kantor Wilayah , 15 minutes "the office is 700 meters up the road from Immigration " . Any info appreciated !!

Thanks for the post and future updates, that will be very useful.

What people shouldn't forget, is that the requirements can be different between Immigration offices (amount of copies necessary, legalization yes or no, certain Surat yes or no, ...). We've also seen than in KITAP extensions etc. So always check at your local office.

Any indication that the Kantor Imigrasi Jakarta Barat might close down?
Been told by the Imigration office in Jember , Jawa Timur that I'll need a letter from the Australian Embassy stating my marriage is valid and recognized in Australia . Any info on Passports and if they have to be valid for the full 5 years of the Kitap when applying . Also that the Kantor Wilayah is in Surabaya , 14 hour return drive from where I am , and I have to take everything there after the Imigration office has approved it . Have read different stories about the passport, from 12 to 30 months validity . Seems every office has there own set of rules !

Yes, letter about the marriage being valid is difficult because some countries won't issue a letter like that. Immigration does accepted a declaration of honour stamped at the embassy though.

No the passport doesn't have to have 5 year validity, no specific rule on that as the KITAP can be transferred to a new passport when the old one expires, but of course some offices might have their own unofficial rules.

The wilayah step is quite easy, they just prepare a letter and give it to you the next day, although for me it was 10 mins on a motorbike, not 14 hours!

Yes, letter about the marriage being valid is difficult because some countries won't issue a letter like that. Immigration does accepted a declaration of honour stamped at the embassy though.

No the passport doesn't have to have 5 year validity, no specific rule on that as the KITAP can be transferred to a new passport when the old one expires, but of course some offices might have their own unofficial rules.

The wilayah step is quite easy, they just prepare a letter and give it to you the next day, although for me it was 10 mins on a motorbike, not 14 hours!
HA HA , just gets better , The Australian Embassy in Jawa Timur is in Surabaya also , another 14 hour drive ! I'll try emailing them , might be able to send something through I can print out ,save me a trip! Good news about the passport , enquired about renewing it , they want 3.2 million rupiah at the Australian Embassy in Surabaya . Also told the Kantor Wilayah send the application to the Director General in Jakarta once they have looked it over and given there approval !! Looking like 2 trips and 2-3 days per trip ! Thanks for the info . Cheers

I'll try emailing them , might be able to send something through I can print out ,save me a trip!

Just a small point but they like to see originals of everything before accepting photocopies. So if you did get an emailed letter you should try and print it so that it looks like an original document. My marriage validity letter (i.e. a self declaration) wasn't a very impressive looking piece of paper but it did have a blue ink stamp from the British Consul at the bottom of it.

Just a small point but they like to see originals of everything before accepting photocopies. So if you did get an emailed letter you should try and print it so that it looks like an original document. My marriage validity letter (i.e. a self declaration) wasn't a very impressive looking piece of paper but it did have a blue ink stamp from the British Consul at the bottom of it.
I have a little photo copy/printing business at the house so I've got a good Colour P/Copier and several editing programs on the laptop . Emailed them earlier , got an auto-reply that they'll contact me within 2 days . Also found something on the Australian Government site stating that all o/s marriages are recognized as long as there performed within the laws of the country and that I have a valid marriage certificate / Buku Nika in my case . Official Australian document with Government Headers etc , so I'll print it out as well . Fingers crossed . Thanks again !

Just received reply from Australian Consulate in Surabaya , Jawa Timur regarding "Marriage Confirmation Letter" required for Kitas to Kitap conversion . The Consulate can supply the letter . All documents , Stat Dec stating all marriage details, names of both parties etc , which they supply for you to print out , must be witnessed by a Notary /Notarias . Copies of Passport , Buku Nika , Wifes KTP and Kartu Keluarga again all witnessed by Notary /Notarias . All documents to be sent by registered mail or postal service from a list provided to the Consulate in Surabaya . The current Fee is 768,000 rupiah which may change at time of processing due to the fluctuation in the dollar . Not sure if this includes return postage cost , have emailed them again regarding this . Hopefully this may help someone else going through the process . Cheers .

Did you obtain a Surat of Marriage Acknowledgement from the Australian Embassy.?

Last edited:
Hi , good info . But as stated in other posts each office has there own rules . They've told me 2 different versions , 1/ I do everything , travel back and forwards to Surabaya twice , 14 hour return drive , then I have to take everything to Jakarta /Director General . could take 3-6 months ,so they said I'd have to start my application 6months before my current Kitas expires . 2/ I hand everything in at the Jember office and they send it to the Kantor Wilyaha in Surabaya then they send it to Jakarta , 3 months ! I'm waiting until May/June to start my conversion Kitas to Kitap . The letter of Recognition here in Jawa Timur ,which I haven't got as yet , has to come from the Australian embassy in Surabaya . Cost approxiametly 768,000rp . All documents required have to be signed /dated by a Notary and sent resgistered mail . Takes 2-3days to process they said and they cover costs of return mail. Could be a lenghty process with the Covid restrictions . Great in Bali , all the offices are within walking distance of each other !! Here there scattered all over the place !! I applied for renewal of my Kitas in November 2020 and didn't get it until mid January , usually take 3-5 days . had to go to the Ministry of Law and Human Rights for there approval . In Jawa Timur we get the Buku Nikah not the Surat Laporan Perkawin which is recognised as legal throughout Indonesia and most other countries . Different regions ,different rules/laws . And the on-line Kitas renewal system only puts you in the que for renewal , there supposed to contact you and give you a date to come into the office and do all the neccesssary paperwork ,have biometrics ect . They never contacted me , 3 weeks I waited , then when I rang them they wanted me there the next day . Got there and there computers were down . all i could do was hand in the paperwork . 3 trips , 6-7 hour return trip each time , later finally got everything done that's when they told me about the Covid restrictions and everything having to go through the Ministry of Law . Once they get a standard system Indonesia wide things might improve but I'm not holding my breath . Cheers !
Did you obtain a Surat of Marriage Acknowledgement from the Australian Embassy.?

Hi , not as yet . Pretty simple , send all required documents ( if you contact the embassy in your region they will give you a list of what's required) to the embassy by registered mail ( Surabaya for those living in Jawa Timur) . On receipt of your documents they contact you with payment details . Go to the bank and pay ,once they recieve confirmation of payment they process it and send it back by registered mail at there expense . 2-3 days to process so maybe 7-10 days overall . Cheers .

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cloudcat
Back