Mancing ? / Sport Fishing ?

jstar

Mr. 10,000
We have some family and friends visiting us and they are into sport fishing (angling).

They obviously would like to go to places here. It could be fresh water (their preference) but also sea fishing.

Now there is an option to make a stop in Thailand since there are some very nice spots at rivers with huge catfish and other species. But perhaps that is even not necessary if they can find similar places here.

There is this program on local TV, called Mancing Mania. And as so often, you see them catching a lot and huge monsters. But I noticed that they have to drive 8 hours from Palembang to get to a spot or do some incredibly difficult wild water rafting first, and that is a bit over the top. Also, hotels nearby would be convenient. Of course Lake Toba and Tondano would be easier to get to, but honestly besides some gurame and small carp, I've never seen them catch any real biggies. I'm afraid that remote areas in Kalimantan, Sumatra or Papua would be the best options.

So the requirements are: Be able to catch (and release) rather big fish, have a good chance on catching some fish, not too difficult to get to the spot from Bali or Jakarta.

The interesting fresh water fish would be -among others- large Catfish (Lele), huge Carp (Ikan Mas), Snakehead (Toman) or Dragonfish (Arwana). The latter two are most interesting since they don't occur in Western Europe.

Any ideas? If you know some good operator who organizes salt water fishing trips, don't hesitate to mention them as well.

images

PS: I realize there will probably be some reactions that this is hurting the animals etc. but that is not what this thread is about. Nor about endangered species.

Last edited:

Wisnu

Charter Member
I know nothing about fishing, but know there's some fishing ponds around jakarta with relatively big fish, typically 1 - 2 kg patin (catfish), Gurami,or carps.

vocalneal

Cager
Now there is an option to make a stop in Thailand since there are some very nice spots at rivers with huge catfish and other species. But perhaps that is even not necessary if they can find similar places here.

Lots of places in Thailand but some not cheap. There is some river fishing but I only know a little about lake and pond fishing. All kinds of fish even big ones from the Amazon.
maxresdefault.jpg

In Samut Sakorn in the river one can fish for GIANT rays.

9e7f629724224eed29f2e0783e1f4239.jpg

Sea fishing would have to be in the south I think in the Andaman.

snpark

Cager
Off topic but yes Thailand is famous for its fishing there is even a bule bought a big lake and filled it with huge carp etc, 100-200kg+

When I can't sleep I am always watching monster fish, zeb hogan, jeremy wade etc, plus of course wicked tuna, after 8 seasons they still have to say "the buyer is looking for quality core colour etc etc"

Come on dave on the dot com

jstar

Mr. 10,000
Yeah that's one of those Dragonfish / Arwana in the picture. Beautiful, they mainly keep it as aquarium fish here, feed it a guppy or small gold fish every three days...

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aiflondon
Top Bottom