Looking For a Few Things

I would appreciate it if you would stop denigrating my family traditions simply because they do not conform to your views on what passes for authentic.

I think a little aloha might go a long way here. No need to take offense just because someone feels a certain amount of affection/protectiveness for Hawaiian traditions. And no need to object to any parties that aren't officially luaus, either.

As for me*, I am sad to say that the only "luau" I ever went to was at the Polynesian Cultural Center on Oahu (long story short, we were forced to do it by visiting relatives we were humoring). It was just as cringe-worthy as you might expect.

I have yet to attend a real luau on the Big Island - as part-time residents who aren't really integrated into any permanent community there, we are fortunate to have gone to a few haolie-organized BBQs and birthday parties. They were not luaus and were not advertised as such, but they were gatherings of friends and families, and we were happy to take part. Plenty of aloha and friendship, luau or not. It's all good.

* A little explanation for casual readers who don't follow the real lives of long-term posters:

Me = part-time resident since 2000 on Hawaii island ("the Big Island"), planning to retire there within 5 years or less
Waarmstrong = has relatives living on the Big Island
Vanuatu = raised in the State of Hawaii, now spending time both there and in Jakarta, if I'm not mistaken

Yes, what she said. Sorry, this relative of a haole failed to put on his thick skin this morning.

I would appreciate it if you would stop denigrating my family traditions simply because they do not conform to your views on what passes for authentic.

I didn't mean to denigrate you our your family, if you scroll back you had mentioned that you considered Luaus to be touristy events, I simply stated if you had tried a real local luau I thought you might enjoy it. You then stated "sudah but you don't call or consider them luaus" which didn't make much sense as a luau is a luau. Now if you meant a family BBQ or party, then you are correct it is not a luau and that was not my point. I was simply saying that there are non-commercial luaus that do take place in Hawaii among friends and family and they are quite enjoyable and if you had the chance to attend one I thought you might enjoy it. How you took any offense to that is beyond my comprehension, but if you did my sincerest apologies, that was not my intention.

I think a little aloha might go a long way here. No need to take offense just because someone feels a certain amount of affection/protectiveness for Hawaiian traditions. And no need to object to any parties that aren't officially luaus, either.

As for me*, I am sad to say that the only "luau" I ever went to was at the Polynesian Cultural Center on Oahu (long story short, we were forced to do it by visiting relatives we were humoring). It was just as cringe-worthy as you might expect.

I have yet to attend a real luau on the Big Island - as part-time residents who aren't really integrated into any permanent community there, we are fortunate to have gone to a few haolie-organized BBQs and birthday parties. They were not luaus and were not advertised as such, but they were gatherings of friends and families, and we were happy to take part. Plenty of aloha and friendship, luau or not. It's all good.

* A little explanation for casual readers who don't follow the real lives of long-term posters:

Me = part-time resident since 2000 on Hawaii island ("the Big Island"), planning to retire there within 5 years or less
Waarmstrong = has relatives living on the Big Island
Vanuatu = raised in the State of Hawaii, now spending time both there and in Jakarta, if I'm not mistaken

Me, born and raised in Hawaii with 4 generations of family history here and have attended too many real luaus to count. But let me reiterate, I was only trying to convey the message that a real luau is quite different from a touristy hotel type luau and if anyone ever gets the chance to attend one, they should. They are really enjoyable, and will invariably have impromptu Hawaiian music and hula dancing to go along with the great food and aloha spirit.

I didn't mean to denigrate you our your family, if you scroll back you had mentioned that you considered Luaus to be touristy events, I simply stated if you had tried a real local luau I thought you might enjoy it. You then stated "sudah but you don't call or consider them luaus" which didn't make much sense as a luau is a luau. Now if you meant a family BBQ or party, then you are correct it is not a luau and that was not my point. I was simply saying that there are non-commercial luaus that do take place in Hawaii among friends and family and they are quite enjoyable and if you had the chance to attend one I thought you might enjoy it. How you took any offense to that is beyond my comprehension, but if you did my sincerest apologies, that was not my intention.

Your habit of talking down to people is what I find objectionable. I actually mean a luau by another name, nothing like a mainland BBQ. I am well aware of what takes place in Hawaii and I have had the opportunity, as I have said earlier in this thread. The decision in my crowd to use a different reference is done deliberately.

Your habit of talking down to people is what I find objectionable. I actually mean a luau by another name, nothing like a mainland BBQ. I am well aware of what takes place in Hawaii and I have had the opportunity, as I have said earlier in this thread. The decision in my crowd to use a different reference is done deliberately.

Again it wasn't my intention to appear to talk down to you, I was simply added a little Hawaiiana to the conversation, I would happily apologize again, if it would make any difference. You are certainly welcome to enjoy a luau by another name, as Shakespeare says "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet" Have a wonderful day.

I prefer Gertrude Stein's version, "Do we suppose that all she knows is that a rose is a rose is a rose is a rose." You do not need to be a 4th generation to know and enjoy roses.

Dill. For 12.500 IDR per plant...

IMG_6371.jpg

Dill. For 12.500 IDR per plant...

IMG_6371.jpg

Wonderful but I'm positive it's the wrong city. I may need to go with the seeds and grow my own. The Dill I got at PIM was encased in plastic very well. When I got it home and opened it, it looked like dill but sure didn't smell like it..

Broke down and went to Ace and bought a domes grill the other day. My only choice here to buy a grill bigger then a bread box. Not my first choice for a smoker but still not a terrible option. Got the domed grill because my efforts of getting what I want made by the welders in the family, while being, "sure, happy to do," I keep getting, "been so busy, no time. (unemployed) So, I got the domed grill.

Yesterday got bust and smoked some chickens. Brined the chicken in water, brown sugar, salt, a bit or Worcester, and some white peppercorns for a little over 4 hours. More hours are better but 4 is a minimum for good results. Got the grill set up and started a few charcoal. Once hot, set the chicken on the grill and placed a small aluminum pan of damp wood chips on the hot coals. Using only 3 charcoal you don't get much heat in the grill but it's hot enough setting on top of them to make the smoke. I used hickory and guava chips.

Closed the grill and adjusted the dampers and let the smoke work. The top damper was only set at about 1/8 open so not a lot of smoke was escaping. I knew the smoke was doing it's job when it started coming out between the closed lid and the bottom. Perfect. I let it go like that for an hour. Temp in the kettle was running about 150 degrees F. I added a few more charcoal and let them heat from what was left of the previous coals. As soon as they were hat I added more chips. Temp was brought up now to around 190 degrees. Another hour and some more coals with less chips just to keep smoke on the birds. 3\4 of an hour and temp not over 200 I added more coals and a sprinkle of chips. Brought temp up to 300 degrees and cooked off the birds until they had an internal temp of 170 degrees. About 30 minutes.

I did the chicken skinless this time because it was a request from my wife. A bit worried about drying out that way but in the end, they turned out great. Had a nice brownish crust from the smoke and it sealed the meat perfectly. The meat came out moist and tender. I cut into a breast and took out a piece of the interior meat and tasted it. The smoke run all the way through the meat. I was really happy. It started raining when I started and stopped when the meat was finished but there is very little time I actually had to go in the rain to do anything.

I think the Canadian Style Bacon will be next along with home made English muffins and Hollandaise sauce. So happy to be back smoking meat and all kinds of other things. Cheese, potatoes, more chicken, duck, half of that ribeye roast, beef jerky, and summer sausage.

Nice. Is that a copy of the original Green Egg? Any major difference?

Would you be able to make Nan bread and Tandoori chicken in there?

Nice. Is that a copy of the original Green Egg? Any major difference?

Would you be able to make Nan bread and Tandoori chicken in there?

No. Replica Webber kettle is all. Char Broil. No, couldn't make tandoori chicken or nan properly. As an oven you need to have the product in there when heating because once you lift the lid to put anything in, out goes your heat and it needs to build back up.

Ah sorry, lost in translation; I thought a dome grill was an egg.

Ah sorry, lost in translation; I thought a dome grill was an egg.

It is and perhaps I should have just stated kettle with that being domed also. My apologies for the confusion.

Leave the chicken skin on next time, and save me some. :)

I can't wait until we move into our new house, so I can BBQ properly. Gas bbq, but still should be able to have some fun.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stats
Back