Looking For a Few Things

fastpitch17

Charter Member
Cager
Living outside Jakarta and Bali one can be hard pressed to find many things they may have an interest in obtaining. I like to try and find some of those things when i visit Jakarta. Many things i have found but there are a few I'm still searching for. They are at this time.

Maple Extract. Not Maple Syrup which I have because asking someone to pick up some extract resulted in a rather over priced bottle of thin No. 2 syrup. It's good but need the extract.

Dill Weed/Seed. So many uses, just can't find it anywhere.

Liquid smoke. I doubt Indonesia even knows what it is much less have any on hand anywhere. I used to look for Hickory wood chips and people said ACE carried them but ACE after Ace had no clue to what I was looking for.

Anyone ever run across these items here?

jstar

Mr. 10,000
Yes, I have seen the colored wood chips at ACE once. It was the one in Mal Artha Gading. Next to the bbq's (obviously). But it could have been a one timer, as so often. I will have a look next time I go there (for a haircut).

For the dill seed, I would try these: https://www.bukalapak.com/p/hobi-koleksi/berkebun/benih-tanaman/1sjjxy-jual-benih-bunga-dill-tanaman-herbal-tanaman-obat-tanaman-toga-masak-resep-masakan

Tsani does deliver via JNE etc. Just search for ADAS (Sowa) on that Bukalapak site.

If you get no results: From a Dutch friend I know there is a subsidiary of Enza over here. Don't know what they have exactly but perhaps they could help: http://www.enzazaden.com/aboutus/org/subsidiaries/indonesia/

fastpitch17

Charter Member
Cager
Yes, I have seen the colored wood chips at ACE once. It was the one in Mal Artha Gading. Next to the bbq's (obviously). But it could have been a one timer, as so often. I will have a look next time I go there (for a haircut).

For the dill seed, I would try these: https://www.bukalapak.com/p/hobi-koleksi/berkebun/benih-tanaman/1sjjxy-jual-benih-bunga-dill-tanaman-herbal-tanaman-obat-tanaman-toga-masak-resep-masakan

Tsani does deliver via JNE etc. Just search for ADAS (Sowa) on that Bukalapak site.

If you get no results: From a Dutch friend I know there is a subsidiary of Enza over here. Don't know what they have exactly but perhaps they could help: http://www.enzazaden.com/aboutus/org/subsidiaries/indonesia/
Thanks. They are the plantable seeds and I am not opposed to growing something I need. Never use the planting seeds in packets for eating since they can and many time do have a coating to protect them from insects and rot.

If you find the chips, let me know or pick some up and I'll cover it.

El_Goretto

Cager
There you go:

- Maple Extract: Forget about it. You're gonna have to get it shipped from overseas. Or maybe make a call to Kemchick Supermarket?

- Dill Weed: I see it all the time at the supermarket here. Either fresh or dried in a small tub in the spice section. If you want the dry kind, just let me know and I'll send some to you.

- Liquid Smoke (make sure to check if it's in stock first with the "Talk About It" tab).

- Hickory Wood Chips: Haven't found those but I found Hickory flavor charcoal (imported brand) at Best Pong. From asking around to meat smokers in Jakarta, they seem to use Rambutan wood for smoking purposes.

fastpitch17

Charter Member
Cager
There you go:

- Maple Extract: Forget about it. You're gonna have to get it shipped from overseas. Or maybe make a call to Kemchick Supermarket?

- Dill Weed: I see it all the time at the supermarket here. Either fresh or dried in a small tub in the spice section. If you want the dry kind, just let me know and I'll send some to you.

- Liquid Smoke (make sure to check if it's in stock first with the "Talk About It" tab).

- Hickory Wood Chips: Haven't found those but I found Hickory flavor charcoal (imported brand) at Best Pong. From asking around to meat smokers in Jakarta, they seem to use Rambutan wood for smoking purposes.
Thanks El.

Yeah, kinda figured that on maple extract in a country that seems to offer a flavoring for about everything.

Dill. Where is your "here?" I will be in Jakarta for a few days this coming week.

Thanks for the link for the liquid smoke. I'll try to order it after I look through what else they offer.

I know hickory is tough to find and isn't native to SE Asia. I have heard of using Rambutan but not sure where I can pick some up. Not as plentiful here as it is in Jakarta. Hickory would be nice for my sausages but I know of an Hawaiian that does a lot of pork product smoking and he uses Teak and Guava. Teak is a bit harsh but the guava has a sweet smoke and this balances it out. If I can't find hickory I will probably go that route. Indonesian style smoking seems to be pretty light to me.
Thanks again

El_Goretto

Cager
Out now, I'll reply later about dill weed but I found your hickory wood chips at Best Pong in Summarecon Mall Serpong in Tangerang Selatan (not far from ikea). They have hickory, Apple, cherry and pecan wood chips.

rugby

Charter Member
Cager
Hi fastpitch17 - I've got a stock of Hickory chips and some others in Jaksel - bought at Best Pongs but now I have a different smoker and don't need them. Don't want to jump in the middle if purchases have been made your behalf already. Give me a PM and I can line you up. Got (almost) tons of BBQ stuff including an unopened bottle of Colgin Hickory Smoke as well (bought two earlier this year on Tokopedia. Let me know if you want to work something out.

fastpitch17

Charter Member
Cager
Out now, I'll reply later about dill weed but I found your hickory wood chips at Best Pong in Summarecon Mall Serpong in Tangerang Selatan (not far from ikea). They have hickory, Apple, cherry and pecan wood chips.

Thanks El for looking and letting me know.

fastpitch17

Charter Member
Cager
Hi fastpitch17 - I've got a stock of Hickory chips and some others in Jaksel - bought at Best Pongs but now I have a different smoker and don't need them. Don't want to jump in the middle if purchases have been made your behalf already. Give me a PM and I can line you up. Got (almost) tons of BBQ stuff including an unopened bottle of Colgin Hickory Smoke as well (bought two earlier this year on Tokopedia. Let me know if you want to work something out.
Thanks Rugby. I have PMed you. Tons of BBQ stuff would probably be met with opposition from the head of the war party of one but you never know. She loves my sausage.

El_Goretto

Cager
About the dill weed. I used to buy some at Farmer's Market, also at Summarecon Mall Serpong but I checked yesterday and they have neither the fresh one nor the dry one.

Not far from there, there is also Aeon Mall supermarket, Ranch Market @The Breeze, Hero in Living World, a supermarket at FlavorBliss (across living world) and Food Hall at Mall Alam Sutera. All places to check with little traffic in between.

fastpitch17

Charter Member
Cager
Just a shout out to everyone. If you are looking for that hard to find item and are getting a bit frustrated, or not, post it here. Look at my positive experience above.

El_Goretto advised on who infact carried some of the products I was seaching for. The link he gave for one product led to a store that carries a lot of Western products at somewhat high prices but if there is that product you just can't find or perhaps have a craving for no matter tge price, check out https://www.tokopedia.com/51oshop

You may also bump into someone like Rigby that just happens to have unneeded items that you are looking for. That's the thing about community. You might ask your neighborhood about what you are looking for and this forum is just like asking neighbors, only you get a much larger neighborhood. Plus, almost all speek tge same language and understand what you're looking for.

There could also be an opportunity for someone traveling out of country to pick something up for you. You never know until you post that product need. Give it a try.

fastpitch17

Charter Member
Cager
About the dill weed. I used to buy some at Farmer's Market, also at Summarecon Mall Serpong but I checked yesterday and they have neither the fresh one nor the dry one.

Not far from there, there is also Aeon Mall supermarket, Ranch Market @The Breeze, Hero in Living World, a supermarket at FlavorBliss (across living world) and Food Hall at Mall Alam Sutera. All places to check with little traffic in between.
Thanks, will check it out. Aporeciate it.

jstar

Mr. 10,000
Fresh dill, as basil for instance, is one of these herbs rather difficult to get over here. I always buy seeds; it is much more rewarding. The same for rosemary and thyme. And even leek.

fastpitch17

Charter Member
Cager
Fresh dill, as basil for instance, is one of these herbs rather difficult to get over here. I always buy seeds; it is much more rewarding. The same for rosemary and thyme. And even leek.
Thanks. Yes, fresh is nice but I only need dried. Basically to make Ranch Dressing and a seasoning for some fish. Maybe a chip dip. Basil, rosemary, and thyme have been easy finds in their dried forms. Dill, not so much and if I had to grow it to get it, I would. ACE here carries some seeds but I have found of the few different things I tried of theirs, nothing at all sprouted or grew. If I had fresh dill I would dry it myself.

jstar

Mr. 10,000
After trying seeds from ACE and Pongs four times (tomatoes etc.) I gave up on these. Total waste.

jstar

Mr. 10,000
Before I forget: Outside of Mal Kelapa Gading there currently is a gardening exhibition. They sell many plants (trees, shrubs and herbs) as well as fruits, seeds and spices.

fastpitch17

Charter Member
Cager
Before I forget: Outside of Mal Kelapa Gading there currently is a gardening exhibition. They sell many plants (trees, shrubs and herbs) as well as fruits, seeds and spices.
Thanks Jstar.

El_Goretto

Cager
Just went to Giant BSD and they had some fresh dill weed.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZacharyBen
Top Bottom