KITAP first renewal question

Vanuatu

Charter Member
Cager
Has anyone recently completed the first renewal on their spouse sponsored KITAP in Jakarta? I'm currently living out of the country (flew in to renew my MERP last year) but my KITAP will expire in March of 2017. I plan to fly into Jakarta in February to renew my KITAP, but as I need to take time off of work I need to plan accordingly. I asked at Immigration last year, whilst renewing my MERP, and they told me 3 -4 weeks, but this is from the same lady who told me the MERP would take 4-7 days (it took 24 hours). I'm optimistically thinking that the process should be streamlined as it is a simple renewal and payment of 10 juta and reissuing of documents/KTP, that being said, when do they ever make anything simple. If anyone has done one this year, I would appreciate any feedback.

thanks

Hi Vanuatu,

I have renewed my KITAP some time ago. It took 3 months for the KITAP to be in my hand from the time I applied BUT in fact it took Imigrasi less than 4 weeks to complete the whole procedure involving my KanIm and my KanWil in Manado and of course the DitJenIm. The two months+ wasted are due to my lack of motivation, the fact that I was busy, the fact that I was not in the mood...etc. At each steps of the procedure I have received some sms from a guy in the KanIm inviting me to come to bring a document, to come to pick up the letter for the kanwil, enquiring if Kanwil already answered and telephoned me, asking me if I wanted to buy a Daihatsu Xenia year 2011 (no kidding!) and finally asking me (at least 4 times) to come to pick up my passport and KITAP.

Basically it took:

• Two days for the Kanim to check my file and issue the letter for the Kanwil. It took me a week to pick it up.
  • Three days for the Kawil to review the files and give its letter of recommendation for DitJenIm It took me a week to pick it up and another week to send it with tiki.
  • About 2 weeks + for ditjenim to issue the SK and send it back to Manado. It took me almost two months to come to pick up the KITAP

Being in JKT, if your file is complete, less than a month should be OK, especially if you are not in mode kura2 as I was.

Atlantis,

Thanks, Hopefully being in Jakarta and being motivated I can get it done in under three weeks, it will be hard to take more time than that off from my work. I was very impressed with my last visit to immigration to get a new MERP and transfer my KITAP to a new passport, they did each in 24 hours and with no "extra" payments. It seems the longest process was at DitJenIm, but my past experience has been if I go there in person along with my wife, they seem to respond faster, especially once my wife gets a few HP numbers and checks status daily.

Atlantis,

Thanks, Hopefully being in Jakarta and being motivated I can get it done in under three weeks, it will be hard to take more time than that off from my work. I was very impressed with my last visit to immigration to get a new MERP and transfer my KITAP to a new passport, they did each in 24 hours and with no "extra" payments. It seems the longest process was at DitJenIm, but my past experience has been if I go there in person along with my wife, they seem to respond faster, especially once my wife gets a few HP numbers and checks status daily.
Why do you need to babysit your passport? Send it off via Tiki or JNE and get on with other stuff. Jakarta for 3-4 weeks doesn't sound like fun to me.

Hey guys , as a number of us will be coming to kitap renewal , can you give us a step by step , docs etc . thanks

Hi scouser59,

I will. It's no big deal as any extension (ITAS, SIM, KTP...etc). The first issuance is often where expats are uncomfortable and prone to be ripped off/abused. It's a three step procedure (KanIm/KanWil/DitJenIm) terminated by the issuance of an ugly little yellow card where the mention "valid until" has been replaced by "date to report".

As much as the customer service was great during the procedure, I've felt a bit ripped off by the final product in hand. MERP is included but for 12 millions I think they could have invested in something a bit more flashy. And it's not even written "Charter Member" on it! :ohwell:

Anyway, it's a good idea to have a dedicated step by step thread, as I did quite a few in the other forum.

I am picking up my KITAP today, will post a step-by-step spousal KITAS -> KITAP conversion process afterwards.

Why do you need to babysit your passport? Send it off via Tiki or JNE and get on with other stuff. Jakarta for 3-4 weeks doesn't sound like fun to me.

I'm living and working out of the country and will be flying into Jakarta just to renew my KITAP (plus a holiday) not sure if I could accomplish the renewal via mail from outside the country.

Hi scouser59,

I will. It's no big deal as any extension (ITAS, SIM, KTP...etc). The first issuance is often where expats are uncomfortable and prone to be ripped off/abused. It's a three step procedure (KanIm/KanWil/DitJenIm) terminated by the issuance of an ugly little yellow card where the mention "valid until" has been replaced by "date to report".

As much as the customer service was great during the procedure, I've felt a bit ripped off by the final product in hand. MERP is included but for 12 millions I think they could have invested in something a bit more flashy. And it's not even written "Charter Member" on it! :ohwell:

Anyway, it's a good idea to have a dedicated step by step thread, as I did quite a few in the other forum.

cheers !

I'm living and working out of the country and will be flying into Jakarta just to renew my KITAP (plus a holiday) not sure if I could accomplish the renewal via mail from outside the country.
Hopefully you get to vacation out of Jakarta!

Hopefully you get to vacation out of Jakarta!

usually a quick trip to Bali in the middle of a Jakarta holiday, but my wife's family lives in the city as well as most of my friends so we end up spending most of the trip in Kemang, her with her family and me at the pub.

I have 3 more years to go before my first KITAP ends so probably many things are going to change but nevertheless i like to ask how much will it cost the next KITAP or is it free. I am using an agent all the time and it is not a spouse sponsored KITAP.
Thakns

... i like to ask how much will it cost the next KITAP or is it free. I am using an agent all the time and it is not a spouse sponsored KITAP.
Thakns

i have read somewhere on the other forum.. or maybe it was balipod.. renewal of retirement kitap is about 40 to 50 juta.

basically the agent has you over a barrel, they can charge what they want.

I have 3 more years to go before my first KITAP ends so probably many things are going to change but nevertheless i like to ask how much will it cost the next KITAP or is it free. I am using an agent all the time and it is not a spouse sponsored KITAP.
Thakns
Hi Soltantoio,

Welcome to our forum. :)
I have recently renewed my KITAP (sponsored by a WNI spouse). It has costed me IDR 10.000.000 for the KITAP itself and I had to add IDR 1.750.000 for a 2 years MERP and IDR 55.000 for the registration of my fingerprints in the SISKIM. For you the fees should be the same BUT you should add the charge that your sponsor will apply and I am afraid that it won't be anywhere free.

Also , be aware that there is NO free permanent residency for the future either. Every 5 years you will have to report to keep alive your KITAP. THIS is free BUT you will have to be accompanied by your sponsor (or at least get a letter from him) and again, you shouldn't expect that your agent will let you get that without forking a wad of cash. Also, you will have to maintain a MERP, theoretically valid at all time, and here again you will need your sponsor.

... Every 5 years you will have to report to keep alive your KITAP. THIS is free BUT you will have to be accompanied by your sponsor (or at least get a letter from him) and again, you shouldn't expect that your agent will let you get that without forking a wad of cash. Also, you will have to maintain a MERP, theoretically valid at all time, and here again you will need your sponsor.

It's a case of "til death do us part" with the sponsor if you are on a retirement KITAP.

Just hope you've got a good one. Of course taking citizenship would be another option.. but i assume you need the sponsor for that as well.?

It's a case of "til death do us part" with the sponsor if you are on a retirement KITAP.

That's a grim reminder ukcouple...I'll be 83.5 y/o when my current first Retirement Kitap expires. I wonder if I should do a deal with my agent for a discount on the next.....or just overstay 'til death do us part'.

I've already instructed my young wife to deport my ashes from Bali via a dive-boat....but make a mess and hold-up the traffic.....for revenge...:evil:

That's a grim reminder ukcouple...I'll be 83.5 y/o when my current first Retirement Kitap expires. I wonder if I should do a deal with my agent for a discount on the next.....or just overstay 'til death do us part'.

Yes Davita.. a sobering thought indeed.

For those retiring in Indonesia there are real issues to be faced. The idea of dying in Indonesia i think fills most with dread. When the Grim Reaper comes a calling, where do you want to be.?

For retirees in Indonesia I wonder if this is something they've given much thought to?

Yes Davita.. a sobering thought indeed.

For those retiring in Indonesia there are real issues to be faced. The idea of dying in Indonesia i think fills most with dread. When the Grim Reaper comes a calling, where do you want to be.?

For retirees in Indonesia I wonder if this is something they've given much thought to?

Well if you've got to go you go, my wife tells me when we went to clean up her mums grave, that this plot is for her family, meaning me as well, it looks quite nice on a hill with pretty flowering trees, whether I will be interested when I'm dead, I don't think so, I have to say I've not given it a lot of thought. I think like most elderly expats got things to do and think about, snuffing it isn't one of them

Never, never give your pp to a courier. I know several people who never saw their pp again
Well, I'm sure things get lost no matter what method you use.

How did you first get your passport? In most cases, I'd guess mail or courier...

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819