• We have just upgraded to Xenforo 2.1. We still have a few things to iron out while the forum is live. If you see any bug, please let us know. Any question? Feel free to ask.
  • We have done a little bit of house cleaning with the forums and certain threads.

Read more about it here.
  • We had an error with our database this morning.

It has now been fixed but let us know if you are still facing any trouble.

Juicer

Wisnu

Charter Member
Not sure if this subforum is the right place just to share our experience; might be applicable for living in Indonesia.

We have to retire our more than 20 years old Jack lalane power juicer. The motor still powerful, the blade is sharp but found few cracks on plastic parts.
For replacement, we decided the slow / masticating juicer instead of centrifugal juicer for better quality of juice particularly for green leafy and nuts.
Not many choices in the country; so I had to look on-line stores and shortlisted to two products ie. Hurom HZ series and Kuvings C7000; finally we chose Kuvings C7000.
The price of these juicer in Indonesia (Rp. 7 million in Tokopedia) is cheaper than UK (GBP 379) , a bit more expensive than US (Amazon USD 449); much cheaper than local (Egypt) which almost double.
Finally we bought from Tokepedia, shipped to the courier, and hand carry to Egypt; total cost is much cheaper than if we buy from amazone US.

In 4 days, we get the juicer - wife very happy with her first celery + kale juice and then almond milk.

waarmstrong

Charter Member
Cager
Perhaps you could grind up a rice concoction for NoSox who has run out of ways to enjoy that premier Indonesian staple.

jstar

Mr. 10,000
The bigger celery (we call it soup celery) costs 67.000 at the Food Hall which is one of the cheaper supermarkets. Not to mention the leek which is a staggering 85.000 for only one stem.

That would make the morning juices here rather expensive. Luckily jeruk and wortel are rather cheap.

Wisnu

Charter Member
Here, local fruits and veggies are very cheap. The similar celery with bigger stems (more juice) cost approx 10.000.
Oranges for juice also very cheap, 20,000 a box of 5 kg.
Kale is rather expensive, 20,000 for a small pack of 10 leaves.

But durian is very expensive here, 3,000,000 for small durian monthong. Wife loves durian, but for this price, she happy with free smell.

jstar

Mr. 10,000
I bought a lot of kale at Food Hall since they had a promo; 2 bags for 20.000

The problem with kale is it needs a colder climate; the best flavor you get in that veggie when there is night frost. I use it not so much for juice but for stamppot.

But for that I need the leaves, not the stem. And here it look more like cilantro (koriander) than kale.

I saw someone make a juice in a blender with papaya, parsley and tea. Looked gross.

harryopal

Charter Member
Juicers? Hah! Many years ago in Australia I bought a juicer that went kaput the first time we used it. Took it back to the store for a replacement. Proprietor looked at with horror and declared, "You took it out of the box."
"Yes, of course we had to take it out of the box."
"What did you use?" he demanded.
"Carrots."
"CARROTS?" Shock horror.
I pointed to the box instructions which listed carrots amongst the items to be juiced.
Reluctantly he gave us a refund.

Last juicer moment a few years ago we bought a "Sunbeam" (well known brand) from big chain store, Harvey Norman. A few minutes into the first juicing it began to smoke.Took it back and got an immediate replacement. Tried the replacement new Sunbeam (another made in China quality product) and the same result.... smoke. Returning to the store they allowed us the price against a German designed Bruhn juicer ( I think made in Korea ) and it worked beautifully for years.

I would hate to buy a juicer in Indonesia as soon as you walk out of the store that's it... No refunds, no replacement and no warranty. Although our fridge has a 10 year warranty sticker. So far no problems but not sure if the 10 year warranty would stick if we had a problem.

Wisnu

Charter Member
I bought Jack lalane juicer in Indonesia.
More than 20 years, the motor and blade are still in excellent condition, only plastic parts have some crack.

We bought most of our electronic appliances, regardless the brand/manufactures, Many of them are still working well for decades.
We still using 16 years old brevile toaster and knife sharpener.
In Jakarta, we have 18 years old 42" plasma TV with 22 years old Denon sound system. No problems
Am I lucky?

The other reason I bought kuvings juicer in Indonesia is the warranty. My (very few) experience of claiming warranty, it is easier in Indonesia.

jstar

Mr. 10,000
Last year I bought my mother a Kuvings Big Mouth (I think it was 6000 or 9000?). It was much more expensive than a Philips (€350 vs €250) which also got good reviews.

But to avoid arguments not to use it, so to 'save work and time' and not to have to cut everything in small chunks, I thought this would be a good one. She liked using the machine, no issues with carrots.

But the cleaning was so labor intensive that it disappeared rather fast in a kitchen cupboard. :frusty:

Of course in the EU the legal warranty is always two years.

Wisnu

Charter Member
Jstar, I think Kuvings B6000. Indeed, cleaning is common problem on most slow juicer. Kuvings is not the most time consuming. Horizontal juicer is even more difficult to clean but very effective for leafy veggies.
Kuvings then improve their design on C7000 incorporate self cleaning feature, but still require extra work veggie / leaf with strong fibres. Cutting into small chunks will help a lot.

waarmstrong

Charter Member
Cager
Here, local fruits and veggies are very cheap.....
But durian is very expensive here, 3,000,000 for small durian monthong. Wife loves durian, but for this price, she happy with free smell.
I don't need much of an excuse not to buy durian, but price rarely comes to mind as a reason to abstain.

Wisnu

Charter Member
Juice of the day - celery, broccoli, kale, carrot, kiwi and ginger
IMG_20190314_194656.JPG

atlantis

Administrator
Cager
I would hate to buy a juicer in Indonesia as soon as you walk out of the store that's it... No refunds, no replacement and no warranty. Although our fridge has a 10 year warranty sticker. So far no problems but not sure if the 10 year warranty would stick if we had a problem.
I never had troubles with warranties here and got repaired/refunded a few things. I reckon however that they all were international brands. Burnt a couple of chest freezer compressors, aircon unit, TV, water dispensers...etc

waarmstrong

Charter Member
Cager
price is always in our consideration but not the first priority.
My comment was in jest, Pak; not deserving of a serious response. But yes, in the grand Dutch tradition, price is always a consideration.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablisimo
Top Bottom