Jokowi announces 2019 cabinet members, Prabowo Subianto is Minister of Defense.

dafluff

Cager
Jokowi, fresh from his second term inauguration on Sunday, announced the members of his new cabinet today.

As has been rumored for some time now, his election rival Prabowo Subianto, is a appointed into the cabinet. The former son-in-law of President Suharto, and current Gerindra chairman has been appointed Defense Minister.

The rest of the portfolio is a mixed bag. Some old names remain in their previous posts: LB Panjaitan (Coord. Minister for Marine Affairs), Sri Mulyani (Finance), Retno Marsudi (Foreign Affairs), Yasonna Laoly (Justice), Budi Karya (Transportation), Siti Nurbaya Bakar (Environment and Forestry).

Some of the above more surprising than others.

Interesting new faces include former minister, chief justice and lawyer (and once rumored Jokowi's VP candidate) Mahfud MD, former chief of the national police Gen. Tito Karniavan (Interior), Jokowi's campaign manager and businessman Erick Thohir (State Owned Enterprises), controversial Army hospital chief Maj. Gen dr. Terawan (Health), and Go-Jek founder and former CEO Nadiem Makarim (Education).

Missing is Gen Wiranto whose party had a dismal showing in the election, and who was recently stabbed in a knife attack. Another absence is Susi Pudjiastuti, the former fisheries minister popular for blowing up both captured illegal fishing vessels and all kinds of protocol.

However, there are many positions that still need to be filled also, including vice-ministries and heads of various government agencies.

Last edited:

jstar

Mr. 10,000
All rather predictable and no opportunities for the younger generation (Sandiaga, Agus) and women.

And losers as Laoly are allowed to stay. Five years the same...

Wisnu

Charter Member
Minister of defense has no direct control to the army.
army, navy. Air Force and police is under president - the commander in chief.

Banana72

Charter Member
Cager
Saw Laoly's interview (by Najwa) on luxury jail....judging from the wishy washy and always humorous answers, I'd be surprised if he didn't get some kind of money on the side from the convicts.

dafluff

Cager
In addition to the Defense portfolio, there is talks that Prabowo will also get an honorary promotion to full general. He was a Lt Gen when he was expelled from the army.

Interestingly among the generals who recommended his expulsion in 1998 is Fachrul Razi, who will now be his fellow minister (Minister of Religious Affairs).

dafluff

Cager
I don't really see anything to be to optimistic about for the average Indonesian. If anything it looks like everyone is getting invited for a slice of the cake, in exchange for compliance.

Maybe that kind of political stability is needed to push through economic advances? Many have lamented that Indonesian style of decentralization is hampering it's ability to compete with the likes of Vietnam or even Philippines.

snpark

Cager
I have from impeccable sources that "he" got 3 trillion ($3m?) pay off to keep the opposition quiet after the results came in before. Now he got a plum job, ironically I guess he is now in charge of keeping FPI quiet also hahaha

Helpful Herbert

If it's Prabowo v FPI then looking forward to that - who do I want to lose more? Rizieq better get used to a much longer stretch in Saudi.

Nimbus

Charter Member
Cager
At the end of the day elite Indonesians take good care of their own kind. The rich becomes richer and the poor stays that way. I can’t say that I’m surprised.

harryopal

Charter Member
At the end of the day elite Indonesians take good care of their own kind. The rich becomes richer and the poor stays that way. I can’t say that I’m surprised.
And that is the way of the world,

jstar

Mr. 10,000
At the end of the day elite Indonesians take good care of their own kind.
Yep. A good example is the creation of the new function of vice ministers.

Angela, the eldest daughter of Hary Tanoe (boss of MNC, political animal and business partner of Trump) has gotten the job of vice minister of tourism and some other things.

jstar

Mr. 10,000
Yeah it will be interesting after (a probable rather boring political) five years. Honestly, my expectations of this team are not so high. (That's the euphemism of the day.)

What's also interesting is how the interaction with the FPI/212 will evolve.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Methblinkz
Top Bottom