It's a small world

PhilippeD

Charter Member
Cager
It's a small world

Part 1
What decide me for my first trip in Indonesia was some friend I made by internet I want to visit. One in particular, Dyah, which was looking for a serious relation.
It's also while this first travel I meet a friend of friend which follow me for my week in Jogyakarta. She also meet with Dyah and they keep contact.
For make it short, Dyah was in hurry to get married, not me, we cut contact and eventually, some year later, I got married with the "friend of friend".
My wife and Dyah keep light contact.

Part 2
10 years later, a LOT of thing have happen and our life have change a lot.
As pass time my wife have start to sing with other person on "Smule". It's a kind of karaoke where one record half of the song and someone else will sing the other half and have a duo as result.
It's quite hard to find good singer to sing with and with time my wife have created a small community of friend related to this.
They are from all around the world and "meet" and comment on smule on a daily basic (I'm quite happy she have give it a bit of slack recently - and start to make some song with the kid).
One of her preferred person to sing with is Adam from UK, he have a girlfriend which is born in UK of Indian parent.

Today my wife add the "Indian" girlfriend on her FaceBook... do you know who they have as shared friend? Yop! it's Dyah!

Dyah is now living in Australia (she got married 1 month after my first travel), We are now living in Canada... and we have a shared "friend" living in UK!
What a small world!

Indeed it is very small. Hence my nickname on this forum is to underline it. Hahahah

Haha ...I got the same impression as OP way before I joined the older forum. I met friends and acquaintances in all sort of places in different parts of Europe which led me to the same conclusion as OP made.... such a small world we live in.

:p I already know it's a small world, it's just this one happen yesterday and all connection are so much different and distanced that it make it odd, funnily odd.

*** Right after posting this tread I go back to the main page and your username (Smallworld) jump in my face. I find it a funny coincidence.

Actually one of the features I love on Facebook is the "mutual friend". It makes for very interesting discoveries. A couple of months ago I met with an Indonesian couple who lived in the US. Had a good chat, and added them to FB. Lo and behold, a mutual friend popped up: my friend from high school. I asked them how they knew the guy, turns out it's the husbands brother-in-law.... :)

My weirdest small-world story involves the fact that my son actually had a relative as one of his teachers at JIS. She is the sister of his cousin's husband. And it's a complete coincidence that we are all in Jakarta and my son was assigned a class with her.

My weirdest small-world story involves the fact that my son actually had a relative as one of his teachers at JIS. She is the sister of his cousin's husband. And it's a complete coincidence that we are all in Jakarta and my son was assigned a class with her.

A different kind of connection from the usual teacher-student relationships that get reported in the tabloids.

A different kind of connection from the usual teacher-student relationships that get reported in the tabloids.

At first I thought it wasn't appropriate for him to have a relative as a teacher, but on reflection realized that the relationship is so tenuous it didn't matter. The only reason we were even aware of it is because the extended family thinks living in Indonesia is sufficiently memorable that they noticed when TWO sets of relatives had done this crazy thing.

and we re not aware of most of those "small world" connection.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nightclubs
Back