It Turns Out Indonesia's Influx of Foreign Workers Doesn't Exist

dafluff

Cager
In the article appearing on Bloomberg, Indonesia's investment chief laments the difficulty of attracting global talent and blames the paranoia of politicians for some of this.

“This paranoia about foreign dominance in our country is a fabrication of the politicians,” and the workforce actually needs far more overseas labor, Tom Lembong, chairman of the Investment Coordinating Board and a former trade minister, said at a World Bank event in Jakarta on Thursday.

The most recent data back him up. Foreigners make up less than 1 percent of Indonesia’s labor force and that share is dwarfed by regional peers such as Thailand and Malaysia. Lembong says the country lacks the right policies to attract global talent and up-skill its 131 million-strong workforce.

Of course this should be no news for everyone on this forum.

While they're at it, the should also give unequivocal right to work to permanent residents, as it is basically a human right.

Article 23.1 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights states:
(1) Everyone has the right to work, to free choice of employment, to just and favourable conditions of work and to protection against unemployment.
— Universal Declaration of Human Rights, United Nations General Assembly

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...sia-s-influx-of-foreign-workers-doesn-t-exist

I realize I can easily be accused of having a biased perspective, but the "cut off your nose to spite your face" attitude toward foreign workers (and foreign companies, as well) and the resulting asininely restrictive regulations, stem, at least in part, from a massive cultural inferiority complex.

Stupid manpower policy motivated by inferiority complex taking its toll. I don`t see that Malaysia, as an Indonesian regional peer, has been hurt by their manpower policies. They got the money, technology transfers and they are an international hub for many things.

I realize I can easily be accused of having a biased perspective, but the "cut off your nose to spite your face" attitude toward foreign workers (and foreign companies, as well) and the resulting asininely restrictive regulations, stem, at least in part, from a massive cultural inferiority complex.
Agree, though it is not unique to Indonesia. Many young countries, especially in Asia, suffer from this hangover from colonialism.

Part of it is inferiority complex, the other part is growing ultranationalism. It doesn't help that foreigners are easy punching bags for politicians from the beginning of history. If things in the country are screwed up, just blame other countries. Nevermind local politicians who actually create and perpetuate the problems.

Agree, though it is not unique to Indonesia. Many young countries, especially in Asia, suffer from this hangover from colonialism.
Thailand same, and they have never been colonialised.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nadeeshaf
Back