Is it legal to hire staff while on tourist visa?

Jay

I am on a tourist visa and I want someone to shop, cook, clean and do laundry for a few months.

Is it legal for me to hire and pay someone directly or am I required to hire someone via a licensed Pekerja Rumah Tangga service?

Puspawarna

Cager
Now that's a new question! I'm not an attorney, but I hired staff many times over the years, occasionally with assistance from organizations like the Jakarta International Community Center, the American Women's Association, and the management of the apartment building my husband was moving into. No one ever suggested that the employer's visa status could be an issue; and I was never asked to indicate my visa status by anyone.

My unofficial advice is that as long as you treat anyone you hire respectfully and according to the law (read more here) you will be fine.

Jay

No problem. Whatever visa one has one can hire household staff while in Indonesia.
My unofficial advice is that as long as you treat anyone you hire respectfully and according to the law (read more here) you will be fine.

Thank you. I read your link and then did a little googling and found the below which re-iterates what you said. As long as you don't break the criminal code or constitution then it's good.

http://www.ilo.org/wcmsp5/groups/public/@ed_norm/@declaration/documents/publication/wcms_decl_wp_26_en.pdf

The government states that while an employer of domestic workers may be a “pemberi kerja”, he or she is not an enterprise and therefore not a “pengusaha” within the meaning of the Law.
As domestic workers are not viewed as being employed by “pengusaha”, they are not provided the protection that the Law affords to other workers. In addition, they are denied access to employment dispute resolution mechanisms, such as the Industrial Court established by Law No. 2 of 2004 on Industrial Dispute Settlement.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jason.d.o.