1. We will be doing some work on the forum over the next few days which may result in the forum being inaccessible for some amount of time. Thank you for your patience.

Is it legal to hire staff while on tourist visa?

Discussion in 'Household Staff' started by Jay, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Jay

Jay New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I am on a tourist visa and I want someone to shop, cook, clean and do laundry for a few months.

Is it legal for me to hire and pay someone directly or am I required to hire someone via a licensed Pekerja Rumah Tangga service?

2. Puspawarna

Puspawarna
    Moderator Cager

Ratings:
    +343
    Now that's a new question! I'm not an attorney, but I hired staff many times over the years, occasionally with assistance from organizations like the Jakarta International Community Center, the American Women's Association, and the management of the apartment building my husband was moving into. No one ever suggested that the employer's visa status could be an issue; and I was never asked to indicate my visa status by anyone.

My unofficial advice is that as long as you treat anyone you hire respectfully and according to the law (read more here) you will be fine.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. atlantis

atlantis
    Moderator Cager

Ratings:
    +608
    No problem. Whatever visa one has one can hire household staff while in Indonesia.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • List
  4. Jay

Jay New Member

Ratings:
    +1

Thank you. I read your link and then did a little googling and found the below which re-iterates what you said. As long as you don't break the criminal code or constitution then it's good.

http://www.ilo.org/wcmsp5/groups/pu.../documents/publication/wcms_decl_wp_26_en.pdf