• We have just upgraded to Xenforo 2.1. We still have a few things to iron out while the forum is live. If you see any bug, please let us know. Any question? Feel free to ask.

Internet in Yogyakarta

Digitarius

Indihome is a provider in Yogyakarta and I applied for internet service. I was told that the network is full so I cannot get internet installed in my new home. Does anyone know of an alternative. They said since network is full no provider will be able to provide service. This is crazy, how can that be? Please if anyone knows of an alternative please let me know. I need service big time. Hope someone can help all advice will be taken. :ranger::help::help::help::help:

dafluff

Cager
Have you checked out XL Prioritas? It is a 4G based service, so maybe not quite as good as a fiber optic connection, but still very serviceable for most situations.

jstar

Mr. 10,000
@dafluff is right, if you really can't seem to get any (fiber or copper) solutions by cable providers, 4G here can be a good or temporary replacement. My Telkomsel is sometimes ever faster than First Media if I do the speed test. And it's more stable in fixed locations. With MiFi then to connect your PC's etc. at home. Of course for TV then you'd need analog aerial or DVB-T or so, in combination with streaming.

Did you try CitraNet? https://www.citra.net.id/

Or BizNet. https://www.biznethome.net/

Last edited:

Bikerbule

If XL has a decent 4G signal in your area then get an XL Home box.

https://www.xl.co.id/id/for-you/broadband-detail/xl-home-unlimited-prepaid

Other option is to buy a router yourself like a TP Link 6400 or Huawei B310/311/315. These will accept any sim, get a sim from XL for their broadband unlimited packages (depending how much quota you need)
Advantage of buying separate is you can plugin an external 4g booster aerial to increase signal. (XL home box cannot accept aerial)

https://www.jakartanotebook.com/4g-lte-mimo-external-antenna-for-modem-routers-dual-ts9-connector-white

https://www.jakartanotebook.com/omni-minimax-g45-antena-eksternal-4g-lte-45dbi-dengan-konektor-ts9-sf-ant4g01-white

El_Goretto

Cager
Advantage of buying separate is you can plugin an external 4g booster aerial to increase signal. (XL home box cannot accept aerial)
So how do these work? Are they just an antenna to boost the signal for that particular modem/router? Or do they boost for other devices too?

I've been looking at a way to boost the signal in my whole house but not how to go about it.

I have XL in my phone and the signal is not great in my house.

jstar

Mr. 10,000
I thought the 4G boosters just do that? So amplify the signal inside the house, without physically being connected to any other device*? It is quite an installation; antenna on the roof, cable to amplifier, etc. I guess the small in-house solutions are much weaker.

*unless you can connect the router

And are there with these boosters always wired solutions available which provide the connection from booster to the antenna connector of the (TP Link) 4G router? Because these routers do not have a port for that. (Only Ethernet, power and SIM.) I guess the booster provides the same TS9 coax cable as the external antenna you can buy on Tokopedia etc.? So then you would replace an antenna with the cable coming from the booster.

I have used antenna boosters / amplifiers on the DVB-T signal for a TV. With an ultra high dBi (17) to be sure. But the results were bad, bit of a wasted expense. I hope that one for 4G works better.

I switched from XL to Telkomsel mainly because the signal in my house was terrible. WiFi is separated from all this of course; with some antenna replacements (longer model) addition of aluminium foil (really!) and realignment of antennas on the router and addition of amplifiers (one via Ethernet, the others wireless) I have been able to cover the whole house.

Last edited:

Bikerbule

So how do these work? Are they just an antenna to boost the signal for that particular modem/router? Or do they boost for other devices too?

I've been looking at a way to boost the signal in my whole house but not how to go about it.

I have XL in my phone and the signal is not great in my house.
Yes it is just for the router, a more powerful antenna than the internal one. They work with mifi boxes too, if you need a mobile solution. A lot of little mifi boxes allow aerials to be plugged in the back.

Edit: If you want to boost signal around your home add some range extenders.

Last edited:

El_Goretto

Cager
Thanks for the input @jstar and @Bikerbule.

What I mean about signal is the phone signal from XL.

I feel that the low signal really sucks my phone battery.

For regular internet I have a 200Mbps fiber optic connection with several wifi access points throughout the house, so wifi coverage is not a problem.

However, it occasionally drops (although fairly rare) and when it does I rely on 4G from XL but the signal is weak, I was hoping to boost the 4G signal (and regular?) signal in the house with some sort of amplifier.

But frankly, XL has been pretty bad lately. Example: Summarecon Mall Serpong, I have no internet there despite strong signal. My friends with Telkomsel enjoy proper internet. Since my phone can take 2 sim cards, I will probably just get a Telkomsel sim for backup mobile internet and that will also solve my problem at home.

jstar

Mr. 10,000
Yes I think that's a much easier solution than trying to amplify the 4G in your house.

But for a house without a cable provider as from the OP, it might make sense. We didn't hear back from @Digitarius btw. I never heard of 'we can't connect new customers anymore since the network is full'. If you live in a (new) kavling or in the middle of nowhere, where there is no presence of cable providers, I can imagine having issues.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitian_Indau
Top Bottom