Info: political gathering after Friday prayers in central Jakarta, Friday 19 April

When I was in Banda Aceh last week I was told that Ma'ruf Amin was barely known in the province. Not surprising. This may explain some of the result? I would be curious to know what was behind it, given that even some Acehnese I met thought with the split in PA might cause it to go the other way.
(By the way, did I see you and family strolling around the lapangan Blangpadang on car-free day last Sunday?)

In other news, many thousands walked today for Banda Aceh's 814th birthday party, a walk of nearly 3 miles - a good distance for many locals in the muggy clime.
My guess would be that MUI is considered too "moderate" by people in Aceh. I really wish Allan Nairn’s reporting could be independently verified. It would put his promise to have his personal jet bring Habib Rizieq back from KSI in an entirely different light.

When I was in Banda Aceh last week I was told that Ma'ruf Amin was barely known in the province. Not surprising. This may explain some of the result? I would be curious to know what was behind it, given that even some Acehnese I met thought with the split in PA might cause it to go the other way.
(By the way, did I see you and family strolling around the lapangan Blangpadang on car-free day last Sunday?)

In other news, many thousands walked today for Banda Aceh's 814th birthday party, a walk of nearly 3 miles - a good distance for many locals in the muggy clime.

Gosh, I haven't lived in or even visited Aceh for some four years or so at this point. I wish you had seen me there, it would mean I'd be back in Aceh. :)

I am friends on social media with a large number of Acehnese, well over a hundred. I can count on one hand the number that have publicly voiced their support for Jokowi. That includes, surprisingly enough, all of the former GAM or current GAM/Aceh nationalism supporters I know. The only ones that voice support for Jokowi are some of the Acehnese women who studied abroad with my wife. Not a single man I know supports him.

I don't think the problem is knowing or not knowing Ma'ruf Amin, I think it stems from a perception that Jokowi himself is lacking in Islamic credentials. Many seem to believe he is a crypto-Christian, and "Christianization" is a flash point for the Acehnese. They tend to view it as another arm of encroaching colonization. Many also believe that he is in cahoots with China to dispossess the indigenous peoples of their share of the pie.

That includes, surprisingly enough, all of the former GAM or current GAM/Aceh nationalism supporters I know. ...

I don't think the problem is knowing or not knowing Ma'ruf Amin, I think it stems from a perception that Jokowi himself is lacking in Islamic credentials. Many seem to believe he is a crypto-Christian, and "Christianization" is a flash point for the Acehnese. ...

Got it, so they'd rather vote for someone who they have fought against (whose family members are Christians) rather than someone they perceived is lacking Islamic credentials?

Got it, so they'd rather vote for someone who they have fought against (whose family members are Christians) rather than someone they perceived is lacking Islamic credentials?

And if you compare the vice presidential nominees, you would really be flabbergasted about how pious both should/could be perceived....

Great marketing to the masses. Amazing deceiving.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nightclubs
Back