Indonesian’s beliefs regarding ghosts, especially children

Jaime C

Charter Member
Cager
My Javanese wife believes she can see ghosts, on a regular basis. It’s not something I’ve experienced, personally. In general, I believe that there are many things in this world that I haven’t experienced, so normally it doesn’t matter to me.

Since we have returned to Bandung last month, my 7 year old daughter has become afraid of ghosts in the room. She refuses, at times, to leave my side, or walk 5 feet away to get something. She gets highly upset with this “presence”. My wife says she can see it as well.

This is not new. Even as a toddler, sometimes I’d see her looking at something in a room. My wife said she was looking at a ghost.

I know that ghosts are a cultural thing here. I’m concerned about my daughter and her reactions. Anyone else have similar experiences with their family?

My wife's nephew also says he sees them. Although from an Islamic perspective there are jinn, made of smokeless fire, or what scientists would call a state of plasma, my wife does not see them. I do not either, thank goodness.

I think its important to empower her to defend herself and not be afraid. There is a Quranic verse that can be memorized called the "Throne" that talks about God's throne.

During ramadan, all jinn are chained, so if this is happening during the month I would look at other possibilities, such as high fevers, heavy metal exposure, or other health related matters.

But this concept of ghosts is very prevalent in their culture. Even those busker dolls have a basis in these spirits whether benevolent or not.

If you can’t see it, then good. It means the presence —whatever that is— can’t or won’t bother you.

My suggestion is to treat it like an imaginary friend (or maybe enemy) of your kid. Acknowledge her experience and don’t call her a liar, while letting her know that you see nothing. Hopefully she’d feel better knowing that it doesn’t affect her dad.

My mom sees things, but she’s old, so they don’t faze her anymore. She’d mention it in passing as if she spotted a squirrel or something. My sister has no sensitivity whatsoever, so she blissfully sees nothing. With extremely rare exceptions I (thankfully) can’t see stuff, but I can sense hostile intent. If it’s a harmless ‘ghost’ then it’s usually invisible to me, if it’s malevolent then I’d feel like getting an angry stare from somebody who I can’t see. Sometimes it works with hostile humans too.

It's very bad in Thailand as well.
Never encountered it here in my 2 years.

A student at the EF I used work at said they saw ghosts there. I had told my manager who calmly said that is at least the fourth student who said they have seen a ghost. My manager thinks it is due to the center being built on a body dumping ground.

Every religion here has a ghost ridding ritual. Gives yours a call.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nightclubs