jstar

Mr. 10,000
Mansion House which produces a "Jamaican Rum" (under license of Herman Jansen in the Netherlands).
I contacted Herman Jansen and they told me the Mansion House is only for the Asian market.

Production of the Captain Morgan white can not sustain the demand
Capt Morgan Spiced Gold runs from 275,000 to 280,000. If was in Jakarta, perhaps a bit less
No problem to get it here, price is 280K

I just took this pic in the local mall:

60EECE42-CDBB-4805-A2B6-F2976A438EFE.jpeg

atlantis

Administrator
Cager
I contacted Herman Jansen and they told me the Mansion House is only for the Asian market.
Indeed, it is only for the local market which is obvious. :D Who the heck would want to drink Mansion House outside here? :oops:
What I meant was that Mansion House was produced in Semarang by Industri Semak (they also produce other bad brands such as Mc Donald Whisky and other poisons) under the license/supervisation of Herman Jansen which is a Dutch brand.
Rp 275K/280K for the Captain Rum is about the right pricing in JKT or nearby. Typically wine shops/retailers add a 20% mark up. The farest you live from JKT, the more expensive it will be at the retailing level.

It is never a problem when you want 1 or 2 carton. The problem starts when you want to get a sizeable bulk. Diageo Indonesia simply can not sustain the demand for the Captain Morgan white rum, especially a peak time demand.

When traders like us request 25 cartons of Captain Morgan white rum, we end up with half of that, while for the Spiced Gold the problem doesn't occur. Therefore we don't really care if Manta white rum costs an extra Rp 20K or even 50K.

Booze in Indonesia is a seller's market before all and If I order 25 cartons of white rum it is because my market is asking for it. If I end up with only half of what I need, which happens to me pretty much every month, I have no other choice than ordering Manta white rum which is the "second best choice" when considering price and quality, and this even though it is more pricey for a very similar quality.

The situation for the Spiced gold is totally different. Production easily meets the demand. So if Manta continue to be overpriced compared to Captain Morgan, they will shortly realize that they have to reconsider their pricing.

Manta Dark Rum has no real competitor* (Captain Morgan do not produce Dark Rum here and Mansion House Dark/Jamaica Rum is an adventure) so they can get away with an heavy pricing (it is around Rp 25K more expensive than both the Spiced Gold and the White Rum when bought at source and more than 50% more expensive than the MH thing).

*I am talking about legal/not smuggled booze

jstar

Mr. 10,000
What I meant was that Mansion House was produced in Semarang by Industri Semak (they also produce other bad brands such as Mc Donald Whisky and other poisons) under the license/supervisation of Herman Jansen which is a Dutch brand.
I understood. But the weird thing is that for all other types of distilled drinks what they produce here, they have a European brand and counterpart. (E.g. for gin, wodka, ...) But not for the rum; they don’t produce it over there at all. So or no demand, or so bad it would be hurting their image.

fastpitch17

Charter Member
Cager

I just took this pic in the local mall:

View attachment 1256
We have Malls, we have no liquor outlets whats so ever. We have Chandra which is Chinese owned and they are the only retailer who refused to take out beer when the local nut cases wanted it removed. SuperIndo, Giant, Hero, and others all removed it. We have a Carrefour now but they seem to cater to those that wouldn't buy alcohol or pork even with a rather large non islamic population. To get, we have to order on line and have it shipped here. Fortunately, since we are not really that far from Jakarta, shipping isn't a killer. Pork at the pasars.

macvert

Cager
After a swim I find a single small Bintang Lemon quite ok and buy the Bali vodka at 18500 for a 750 ml bottle affordable. It goes nicely with manggo, orange or other juices.
Bali Jaya are the cheapest I've found in Bali, they are wholesalers / retailers & have outlets in Jimbaran & Kuta.
I checked them out today,in Jimbaran, Captain Morgan 250,000, Bali Moon Blue Vodka 180,000, Iceland Vodka 150,000.

Sarah

Idk about the rum, But indonesian beers are horrible. All the alcohol are horrible. Except those doesn’t locally produced. And many Indonesians have poor taste in alcohol. Just don’t get why bland alcoholic thing can be consumed. Guinness tasted horrible here. I never try a good cider here too. Some place in bali maybe a bit better. In my experience, many bartenders just don’t know what they are doing. I drink not to get drunk just love the taste of it. Budlight is horrible but way better than any beers I’ve ever had here. I’d take bud light and string cheese as my breakfast. 😆

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
haneiter
Top Bottom