Indonesian Electric Bike Laws Inquiry

javasatu

I am an expat and gear/bike freak and interested in buying an electric bike that is sold locally. The electric bike have no pedals and looks more like a motorcycle. The specifications: 2000 watt motor, 72V, 20 ah lead acid battery, maximum speed is 58km/h and range is 60km.

California laws, electric bikes with more than 750 watts requires motorcycle license and Department of Transportation (DOT) certifications/approval. If not mistaken, the above electric bike is classified as Class 3.

I was wondering any electric bike fans/experts advise if I need an Indonesian motorcycle license to ride the 2000 watts electric bike in Indonesia. I will be riding the electric bike casually to the bank, grocery store and errands.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-09 at 9.05.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-09 at 9.05.34 AM.png
    285.1 KB · Views: 71

rabbit_39

Charter Member
Cager
I believe you do. It will be in the traffic laws (Undang Undang Lalu Lintas) where it defined what a motorcycle is. Anything that is not self propelled and goes over 25km/hour (double check these) is classified as a motorized vehicle. And you need to have a license, and you need to register the vehicle.

harryopal

Charter Member
These E bikes are everywhere in Bagan Myanmar. Very easy to ride. About 8 hours on a full battery. I haven't seen them in Indonesia. Searched unsuccessfully to see where they are made and what they cost without success. You do need a licence in Myanmar to use one although I think few tourists get licences. I confess I did not as the issue did not come up. Very light traffic in the area but I wouldn't dare ride a bike in Bali or Indonesia without a licence.
1602214472532.png

R Cameron

Charter Member
Cager
I believe you do. It will be in the traffic laws (Undang Undang Lalu Lintas) where it defined what a motorcycle is. Anything that is not self propelled and goes over 25km/hour (double check these) is classified as a motorized vehicle. And you need to have a license, and you need to register the vehicle.

I agree with this, I don't know the law in Indonesia, but many electric moped/bike laws around the world say it must be electric-assist, meaning it needs functional pedals, and give a top speed, which will almost certainly be far below 50km/h.

snpark

Cager
There's a guy on FB always trying to sell them and always facing an avalanche of questions which he never answers and disappears again. Like insurance. Licence. Dangers. Helmets. Pavements. Etc. Plus he was charging like 20jt or something. Like one of those go bike things. One you stand up on not sit down.

Scootee or something

Just a side note those silly Brompton folding bikes are like 60jt each?! WTF ?!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Richard
Top Bottom