Indonesian Driving Licence?

scouser59

Charter Member
Cager
Strange ? in bali theory and psyc test are mandatory , god knows why , .

Euc-

Charter Member
Cager
Strange ? in bali theory and psyc test are mandatory , god knows why , .
There was a counter for the psyc test next to the doctors, but it was deserted.

Perhaps they’ve given up and declared all of the people in Jakarta insane for wanting to drive ?

scouser59

Charter Member
Cager
Ha ha ha , dont you just love this place , every area another story.

Wisnu

Charter Member
I'm in polres cibinong right now. My SIM A expired 2 months ago, can't be extended.
I have to apply new SIM.
Arrived here at 0815, follow all procedure, starting from medical check, photo, PC computer theory test , simple driving test, finish at 09:50, been waiting 20 minutes for payment Rp. 120,000 at BRI, seem the bottleneck is on the bank.
Very straight forward, easy and cheap.

Rollo

What did the psych test involve? (Presumably not just, "this bule wants to drive here - he must need his head looked at".)

Does anyone know what drawing a figure is supposed to test?

I visited the Polres Mengwi today with Kitas, Passport, Doctor Certificate, stopped at the info desk and officer brought me and a my translator.sponsor to an compact office with 10 desks with computer screens. Asked me for mother's and father's name and then requested 500,000 rupiah for psyche test. I didn't ask if it included the test and license fees. I told him I would research the requirements further and return. Can anyone provide more info on this requirement.

dafluff

Cager
I visited the Polres Mengwi today with Kitas, Passport, Doctor Certificate, stopped at the info desk and officer brought me and a my translator.sponsor to an compact office with 10 desks with computer screens. Asked me for mother's and father's name and then requested 500,000 rupiah for psyche test. I didn't ask if it included the test and license fees. I told him I would research the requirements further and return. Can anyone provide more info on this requirement.

There is a medical test, but it should be around Rp 50,000 to 100,000.

Our article at https://www.expatindo.org/indonesian-drivers-license/ covers the whole official process.

fmj50

A few weeks ago I bought my licencefor the second time, for car and another one for motorbike. Did this some years ago, more difficult now but possible. They seem to be trying to stop this practice but hey, money talks. Not too much money. Through a friend who knows a cop.

Jamu

Charter Member
Cager
Today I applied for and received my SIM A and C at Polres Gianyar, Bali, and have a few pointers and tips for those who live in Gianyar and intend do their local license here, and who do not want to obtain it via the corruption route. If you have all your documents together and pass the tests on the first go, note that you can be in and out with your new SIM in around 2 hours or less.

Firstly, note that in Gianyar Regency you cannot ‘convert’ a foreign license by only doing the theory test. You must also do a practical, though it’s not overly difficult (more on this later).

To apply, you need to supply a copy of your passport details page along with the Itas or Itap page, a copy of your Kitas or Kitap, and a copy of your SKTT or KTP-OA, as the case may be. In addition, you need an eye test certificate for colour blindness (Rp.25k) from the pharmacy located diagonally across the roundabout from Polres Gianyar, as well as a psychological test from the same place (Rp. 90k), which consists of you drawing the image of a human on a piece of paper. The latter test is valid for only two weeks - go figure. Note that if you are applying for both SIM A and C, you will need two copies of all documents, as two separate files will be assembled.

Armed with your documents, you go to the second floor of Polres and tell them you want to apply for SIM A (car), SIM C (motorbike), or both. For each SIM requested, you will be given a folder and a form to fill out. After submitting the folder and completed form, you may wait a bit until you are called for a computerized theory test. This consists of 30 true or false questions based on scenarios played on the computer. You can do an official online simulation test for both licenses in advance, in the comfort of your home, at http://korlantas.polri.go.id/latihan_ujiansim/ujian/login. I highly recommend you do this test multiple times until you can answer quickly, instinctively and accurately. Unlike the simulation, which gives you 30 seconds to answer a question, the real test gives you either 5 or 8 seconds to answer, depending on the question, so you really don’t have much time to think or to watch the video again if you don’t know the answer straight away. You will wear headphones and the voice will be speaking Bahasa Indonesia. You are allowed a translator (who won’t get headphones), but given that you have only seconds to answer the question, the translator wouldn’t really help much. Best to familiarize yourself with the relevant Bahasa Indonesia terminology and questions from the online simulation exam. For those interested, there is a YouTube video posted by an Indonesian guy who surreptitiously recorded his own SIM C exam, so you can see how the process works in real life – note how little time you have to answer the questions.

Assuming you pass, you will now be advised to go downstairs and outside to complete the practical exam. You cannot avoid this if you want to get your license, however the officers that examined me were pretty cool and not too strict.

For a car, you will be driving a manual transmission (older) Toyota Avanza. The test consists of driving forward in a straight line for about 50 meters, then reversing backwards in a straight line to your start position. Then, you will move forward around several cones, driving in an ‘S’ pattern. Finally, you will be required to reverse back around the cones in the ‘S’ pattern, without hitting any of them. This last part is where many fail, according to the officers doing my test.

For a motorbike, you will ride an older Honda Wave, with a clutchless manual transmission. You will have to perform three tests. An S course around cones, a figure eight course (twice), not going outside the lines or hitting any cones, and a tight right handed u-turn course.

Assuming you pass the practical tests, you go back upstairs to pay (Rp. 120k for a SIM A and Rp. 100k for a SIM C). Total for me was SIM A/C fees of Rp. 220k, plus the eye test at Rp. 25k and psych test Rp. at 90k for a grand total of Rp. 335k. After waiting a bit, you will be called to the biometric room for fingerprints, photograph and signature. They will print your new SIM on the spot (1 year validity for Kitas and 5 years for Kitap) and off you go…

cup1981

Today I applied for and received my SIM A and C at Polres Gianyar, Bali, and have a few pointers and tips for those who live in Gianyar and intend do their local license here, and who do not want to obtain it via the corruption route. If you have all your documents together and pass the tests on the first go, note that you can be in and out with your new SIM in around 2 hours or less.

I am very curious if the smallish town I am going back to in May has finally made it possible to test at all. When I was there in 2011, they used the testing track as a parking lot, so there was no practical test. And none of the theory computers actually worked, so the only test was whether or not you had ~Rp.250,000 in your pocket and had the hand-eye coordination needed to hand those bills to the officer at the front desk.

I want to do it the legal way, but last time there wasn't even the option to do it legally lol. Hopefully, that's changed.

IndoTom

I don't get all this talk of 1 year SIM, mine is for 5 years. The cop was afraid I might not completely understand the test (probably right) so just the 300k on the side and then fingerprints..... done.
Oh and a "medical check" blood pressure, height and weight
I heard that the current "side fee" to get a SIM is 800k.

Wisnu

Charter Member
It may be more difficult in some areas in Indonesia, but I believe it is possible to do things that are legally correct and or without bribery. At least, and I'm proud of myself, that's what I have been doing for more than 15 years. inside and outside Indonesia.
Illegal acts and or bribery might happen if:
  • You have no rules / regulations or you know but like to bend rules for your own benefit.
  • You have no ability or cannot fulfill all requirements.
  • You want privileges or conveniences that you shouldn't get.

I can understand - and it's very common that people are skeptical before they try.
I live in Egypt where the bureaucracy is no better than Indonesia.
some time ago, I had to extend my car license. Most people, both local and expat, said that it was almost impossible to do it without bribing. In fact, my company has recommended few approved agents to help us to deal with public bureaucracy, at our cost.
It is not about cost if I opted not to use the agents. Since my Arabic is limited to syukron and assalamualaikum, my driver act as my translator. Not that bad, took me almost half day and visit 8 desks to get my new car license at cost less than 15% of the agent. No bribery and under table money at all.

Bikerbule

https://www.expatindo.org/indonesian-drivers-license/

Extra info for Surabaya:
For a new license (sim baru) you must go to Satpas Colombo.
Jl. Ikan Kerapu No.2-4, Perak Bar., Krembangan, Kota SBY, Jawa Timur 60177

You need to arrive around 7:30 in the morning as it will be very crowded by opening time
You need to wear a collared shirt (polo is fine)
You cannot take a bag or a jacket into the office
The office here runs quite smooth, but be prepared for a long wait for the photo session, sometimes it can take 2-3 hours.

Bad_azz

Charter Member
Cager
I'd say it is a location lottery - as to pricing and as to how legitimately one can get the SIM.
The winners are rare.

dafluff

Cager
Last edited:

colroe

Charter Member
It’s amazing we’re all the bodies appear from when you have an accident, I had a mishap on what appeared to be a road devoid of people, suddenly I think 200 people appeared from nowhere, we then had a court of inquiry as to whose fault it was, it appears to my surprise not me and I was awarded 200,000rp, I felt very guilty about that, as the poor guy didn’t look too well off and his clapped out kijang van was wrecked so I drove back about 15 minutes later to give him his money back, but everyone had disappeared,
Done a bit of travelling on my motorbike a few years back. As will happen on a long journey nature calls and therefore a quiet place, miles from nowhere, and no onlookers is found. Start urinating, and within a few seconds there will be someone watching or nearby!!! Its what it is!!!

harryopal

Charter Member
Dafluff, thanks for the link but that didn't work either. Sometimes one has problems because the internet is so slow and it times out. However, other websites are opening up for me at the moment. I will try again over the next few days. Perhaps the website for the test is particularly clunky and takes a while to sort out. After ten minutes or so it opens little bits but not in any functional way. Maybe it has Corona.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Richard
Top Bottom