Indonesian Business Culture

pinky321

Charter Member
Cager
Business may be business the whole world over, but the way it is conducted differs widely. Indonesian business culture is very different from western style of doing business.

These are some points of Indonesian Business Culture:
-High tolerance
-Polite
-Discussion culture
Decisions are made based on long lasting discussions and consultations between business partners.
-Relationship
It is very important to have a good and solid friendship before doing business in here, they have to know where are you come from, life, family, network, hobbies, food preferences, etc. which is time consuming and you have to present as a person rather than a businessman. Once good relation is established you will also make good business.

Any other experienced or additional ? :)

Last edited:
I think you use far too many superlatives such that you view is little more than a stereotype.

Take your time - if your parent company expects quick KPI and you are new to the this market without language or local cultural experience then you have a major issue. It would be wise to network and attempt to make a compelling case about doubling or tripling timelines. This is inline with pinky321's post.

Where/when ever possible get payment or a deposit in advance, or you could find yourself spending lots of time prepping for something that get's cancelled. If some advance payment has been made, the cancellations are a LOT less frequent.

i am not sure where you could get that idea to be honest. I am an indonesian, and am quite lucky to have some experiences working with foreigners and the list you wrote down here are not really the indonesian culture.
the real indonesian business culture could be seen in the goverment offices. or local brand companies ...
i dont say that all of them have the same attitude and business approach, but from what i have tasted, "none of them know that asking your suppliers money or expensive gifts in order to get easier process doing the business is wrong."
and i had dealt with big brands indonesian companies ...

-High tolerance
-Polite
-Discussion culture
Decisions are made based on long lasting discussions and consultations between business partners.
-Relationship
It is very important to have a good and solid friendship before doing business in here, they have to know where are you come from, life, family, network, hobbies, food preferences, etc. which is time consuming and you have to present as a person rather than a businessman. Once good relation is established you will also make good business.

Business may be business the whole world over, but the way it is conducted differs widely. Indonesian business culture is very different from western style of doing business.

-High tolerance
-Polite
-Discussion culture
-Relationship

My experience with Indonesian general business culture is far less "pinky" than you describe it.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819
Back