Indonesia improves to 29th best expat destination, but still trails regional rivals

dafluff

Cager
The latest InterNations Expat Insider survey is out, and according to it, Indonesia is the 29th (out of 64) best place for expats. Even though this represents a 21-spot improvement, it still trails Vietnam (2nd), Singapore (6th) and Malaysia (9th).

Indonesia scores high in the Ease of Settling In index (12th of 64), especially in the "Friendliness" category, but fails in the Quality of Life Index (58th out of 64). Indonesia is in the middle of the pack for Working, Finance and Cost of living Indices.

Indonesia ranks among the bottom 10 countries in the Quality of Life Index (58th) for the fourth year
in a row, and it is also one of the worst countries in the Digital Life subcategory (56th). However, it
shows some noticeable improvements, particularly for the availability of government services online
(66th to 53th). Although 7% of expats still give this factor the worst rating possible, this is a huge
improvement compared to 20% in 2018. Unfortunately, this development has not reached everyone
in Indonesia yet. A US American expat living in a small town complains that “access to the internet
infrastructure is limited and challenging”.

Puspawarna

Cager
Sounds about right. I have some vague recollection that a previous Internations survey was ripped apart here because the sample size was so small, but I'm probably misremembering - their press release claims a sample size of over 20,000 people.

snpark

Cager
Yes it was half a dozen hsbc premier banking customers lol.

waarmstrong

Charter Member
Cager
20,000, you say, was the sample size. With the numbers diminishing in recent times, I am wondering what percentage of the total expats in Indonesia 20 thousand represents.

Several Indonesian Investment sites report that according to data from Indonesia's Investment Coordinating Board (BKPM), a government agency, there are currently (currently meaning 2016) 74,183 foreigners working in Indonesia. Not that it matters, but others suggest that a large percentage of that expats number are Asian, mostly from China.

snpark

Cager
Sample of 20000 just in Indonesia? Or for the whole survey. I doubt even 20000 in Indonesia these days. Certainly not Europeans but expat including other Asians Indians etc yes maybe 50000 but Caucasian no way 74183. Where are they all?

waarmstrong

Charter Member
Cager
Not in my neighborhood, but I have no reason to doubt the tally; 74 thousand is still a very small number especially when compared to expats in other SEA countries.

dafluff

Cager
Sample of 20000 just in Indonesia? Or for the whole survey. I doubt even 20000 in Indonesia these days. Certainly not Europeans but expat including other Asians Indians etc yes maybe 50000 but Caucasian no way 74183. Where are they all?
20,000 is the whole survey. They note that a minimum of 75 respondent per country required before they are included, but no breakdown of per country numbers.

Yes, sample size could be a problem, but I don't see any glaring issues with the result. If anything, it is probably too good for Indonesia.

snpark

Cager
Yeh I meant total 20k not 20k from Indonesia
so they only needed 75 from each country to include? well theres your 75 from HSBC premier then or BCA prioritas, the ABC1 pres dir on $500k a year who are never here and filled in the survey in the emirates first class lounge in dubai lol

$500k a year is like median income in dubai but yes in jakarta it stretches a little further
$100 for valet there compared to in Jakarta a 3 course dinner, wine, a girl, and her taxi home after hahaha

William King

Charter Member
Cager
$100 for valet there compared to in Jakarta a 3 course dinner, wine, a girl, and her taxi home after hahaha
I think it may have been awhile since you have been on a date in Jakarta.

Unless by 3course dinner you mean bakso, mie goerong and martabak, and your definition of taxi extends to grab bike.... And still ypu cannot afford wine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chris Holloway
Top Bottom