Indonesia drafts law to ban sex outside marriage, contraception education.

dafluff

Cager
Indonesia is currently working on an update on the criminal code (KUHP), with voting expected this year, possibly as early as February.

While it is possible that there are changes upcoming, some of the articles in the draft are seriously troubling, if not unsurprising.

Sexual relations outside of marriage is currently illegal in Indonesia if one (or more) of the parties are married, and if reported by their other partner. However, the draft purposes to make all sexual relations outside of marriage, and expands the parties who can report this to "any negatively affected third parties". Theoretically this means if you don't like your neighbor shagging his girlfriend, you could report them (article 484)

You don't even have to be caught engaging in the act, in fact merely living together as husband and wife without an official marriage would be illegal and punishable with up to 1 year in jail (article 488).

Article 481 bans the demonstration of pregnancy prevention devices (contraceptives) by unauthorized parties. It doesn't specify who the authorized parties are, but it does exempt officials in charge of family planning (keluarga berencana) and those tasked with STD prevention (article 483).

Moving on, it also purposes criminal charges for insulting public authority and state institutions if it results in public unrest (article 407). But more importantly broadcasting, showing, and otherwise publicizing insults towards public authority and state institutions, even if it doesn't cause public unrest, is punishable by up to 3 years (article 408) We may have to tone down the jokes around here.

Further reading:
Reuters: Draft proposals in Indonesian parliament aim to ban extramarital sex
ABC.net: Indonesian's LGBT community under threat as government sets sights on making gay sex illegal

Excerpts of the draft in Bahasa Indonesia:
(note: some pasal numbers may differ depending on which draft you read).
Download full text here: http://reformasikuhp.org/r-kuhp/

Pasal 407
Setiap orang yang di muka umum dengan lisan atau tulisan menghina kekuasaan umum atau lembaga negara yang berakibat terjadinya keonaran dalam masyarakat, dipidana dengan pidana penjara paling lama 2 (dua) tahun atau pidana denda paling banyak Kategori III.

Pasal 408
Setiap orang yang menyiarkan, mempertunjukkan, atau menempelkan tulisan atau gambar sehingga terlihat oleh umum atau memperdengarkan rekaman sehingga terdengar oleh umum, yang berisi penghinaan terhadap kekuasaan umum atau lembaga negara, dengan maksud agar isi penghinaan tersebut diketahui atau lebih diketahui oleh umum, dipidana dengan pidana penjara paling lama 3 (tiga) tahun atau pidana denda paling banyak Kategori IV.

Pasal 481
Setiap orang yang tanpa hak secara terang‑terangan mempertunjukkan suatu alat untuk mencegah kehamilan, secara terang‑terangan atau tanpa diminta menawarkan, atau secara terang‑terangan atau dengan menyiarkan tulisan tanpa diminta, menunjukkan untuk dapat memperoleh alat pencegah kehamilan tersebut, dipidana dengan pidana denda paling banyak Kategori I.

Pasal 483
Tidak dipidana, setiap orang yang melakukan perbuatan sebagaimana dimaksud dalam Pasal 483 dan Pasal 484 jika perbuatan tersebut dilakukan petugas yang berwenang dalam rangka pelaksanaan keluarga berencana dan pencegahan penyakit menular.

Pasal 484
(1) Dipidana karena zina, dengan pidana penjara paling lama 5 (lima) tahun:
a. laki‑laki yang berada dalam ikatan perkawinan melakukan persetubuhan dengan perempuan yang bukan istrinya;
b. perempuan yang berada dalam ikatan perkawinan melakukan persetubuhan dengan laki‑laki yang bukan suaminya;
c. laki‑laki yang tidak dalam ikatan perkawinan melakukan persetubuhan dengan perempuan, padahal diketahui bahwa perempuan tersebut berada dalam ikatan perkawinan;
d. perempuan yang tidak dalam ikatan perkawinan melakukan persetubuhan dengan laki‑laki, padahal diketahui bahwa laki‑laki tersebut berada dalam ikatan perkawinan; atau
e. laki-laki dan perempuan yang masing-masing tidak terikat dalam perkawinan yang sah melakukan persetubuhan.
(3)Tindak pidana sebagaimana dimaksud pada ayat (1) tidak dilakukan penuntutan kecuali atas pengaduan suami, istri, atau pihak ketiga yang tercemar atau berkepentingan.
Terhadap pengaduan sebagaimana dimaksud pada ayat (2) tidak berlaku ketentuan Pasal 26, Pasal 27, dan Pasal 29.
(4) Pengaduan dapat ditarik kembali selama pemeriksaan di sidang pengadilan belum dimulai.

Pasal 488
Setiap orang yang melakukan hidup bersama sebagai suami istri di luar perkawinan yang sah, dipidana pidana penjara paling lama 1 (satu) tahun atau pidana denda paling banyak Kategori II.

Sorry, no translation from BI to English....too busy right now, if Google translate doesn't do a good job, I will post them a bit later today.

Additional note: some foreign media journalists are reporting that the law also plans on criminalizing all same sex relations, however I have not been able to pinpoint a specific pasal. Will update if/when I find them.

Last edited:
It should become compulsory then to ask every incoming, single passenger if they promise not to have sex while in Indonesia. This will really draw tourists.

Oops I recant. My previous remarks are withdrawn. They may be seen as insulting public institutions.

Oh dear, I fear several of my neighbours will end up in prison

Moving on, it also purposes criminal charges for insulting public authority and state institutions if it results in public unrest (article 407).
How does that work. If we demo againts something, then it becomes a criminal action not on the demo-ers but the person who "caused" us to demo?

My super-cynical response: This will lead to a nice little "baby boom", and Hong Kong, KL, & Singapore residents will rejoice as their supply of TKI domestic workers will be plentiful for the next 25+ years.

What concerns me most about this sort of proposed legislation is how they plan to police it. I'm not really down with state intervention in people's personal lives but without directly doing so, policing this kind of thing is practically impossible. This reeks of legal legislation from a moral standpoint and knowing the region that we're in, enforcement would no doubt be subjective and selective as it certainly couldn't be comprehensive.

I don't agree with infidelity necessarily, but it is precisely nobody else's business except for the parties involved, in my view. Presumably, that would be the moral justification for such legislation, with the undercurrent of ensuring that couples continue to marry young to appease those with more conservative leanings.

Does anyone have any idea how likely this draft law is to get passed?
I'm not religious and not married (and prefer to stay this way even if i am in a long term relationship); this law will make my living situation a tad difficult.
The mind boggles when you think of the message it will send out to prospective tourists. I hope they see a bit of sense.

I suppose the only way the authorities will know if a neighbour reports it, I know of three couples in my area, if I know I assume the whole Kampung knows, nobody seems unduly bothered though

Many years ago one needed a wedding certificate to live together in company housing. So one Scandinavian guy decided to live in the local village together with his Indo girlfriend. The locals gave him a good seeing to.

Seems it was more acceptable in large cities than in small villages. Probably still the same.

Years ago we visited friends in a "small" southeast central Java town. As it was just the two of us back then, I suppose we should have expected, but were very surprised and then very annoyed when we were asked to produce a marriage certificate at check-in. Living in Jakarta tends, I guess, to numb one to conservative and anti-Westerner sensibilities in the hinterland. Our marriage book was in the desk drawer back in Jakarta; we ended up bunking in at our friend's smallish place for the duration & probably had more fun as a result. Amid profuse apologies, our friends explained that the proprietor of the only hotel in town was a relatively recently transplanted fundamental Muslin from the Middle East. They viewed him as an arrogant, self-important asshole.

A few years later, with our daughter in tow, no questions asked; we brought our marriage book for nothing.

If they ban sex after marriage , please don' tell my law abiding wife.

No need for a law..... It's common knowledge what the bride is thinking and why she smiles while walking down the aisle..:nod:

Last edited:
If sex outside marriage is banned, what happens to the politicians and hotshot lawyers who shag around like rabbits? Nothing.
Hotman Paris is publicly proud of the fact that he has a lot on the side:
As a normal man, Hotman admits he is naturally tempted when he sees a beautiful woman. "I'm the type of man, as a normal human being, who sees a beautiful woman and easily falls in love. It's perfectly human; if you (journalists) do not like to see beautiful women, that's blasphemy," he chuckled.
https://www.viva.co.id/showbiz/gosip/961560-hotman-paris-mengaku-punya-banyak-pacar-tapi-satu-istri

Pak Paris will be dead soon; the death of such attitudes may take a bit longer.

The purposed new criminal code (RUU KUHP) is being fast tracked, and may be adopted by the end of this month. Most problematic articles, including those I mentioned in the first post of this thread will be adopted with little or no change.

Combined with legislation just passed to weaken the KPK this is going to be a very bad year for laws in Indonesia.

https://www.cnnindonesia.com/nasion...i-dpr-orator-sindir-rapat-pembahasan-di-hotel

https://news.detik.com/berita/d-4711695/dpr-pemerintah-setujui-ruu-kuhp-siap-disahkan

Likes of the FPI are waiting with baited breath for this law to go through. They need to get their goon squads out again invading people's privacy. Funny how the DPR fast tracked the KPK bill after never being fast on anything. Why by the end of session? Who was running scarred or what big contracts are coming up. Ah, the new capital and the DPR-D pushed it through of which the president is a member.
Criminal law is just another push from DPR members who have close tires with Mass Organizations. Pay back for helping them get reelected.

Up next, all food and beverage must be halal. Going to be fun trying to order that halal sate babi.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsabouttimebc