Importing motorcycle

Discussion in 'Export, Import, Moving-in, moving-out' started by Bikerbule, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Bikerbule

Bikerbule Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I have a couple of bikes in storage back in the UK. A ZX12R (pretty rare now) and a 2011 Ninja ZX6R which is only used as a track bike.

Is it possible to import big bikes?
    I'm assuming these will incur some sort of luxury tax? is it based on the current value or original value?

I would probably ship the 6R and only use it on the track, so it won't be used on the road here.

2. El_Goretto

El_Goretto
    Moderator Cager

Ratings:
    +335
    As far as I know, you will have a difficult time importing second hand vehicles here.

You may be able to bring them disassembled by shoping parts separately and reassembling it but you won't be able to register the vehicles for road use. It's also probably not legal.

3. vocalneal

vocalneal Well-Known Member Cager

Ratings:
    +326
    Importing a bike is quite easy. Just put it in the container and bring as household goods. Like a guy did with his hog when I worked in Sumatra. The problem only occurs when you want to take it out as you'll need a permit to export a motorcycle.

If you live near Sentul and want a track bike OK. Just import it as such and pay whatever duty it incurs. Otherwise there maybe a bike in Indo that is not available "at home" so use the foreign experience to ride something different. Me? I'm going to be living urban and doubt the local traffic will ever approach 80 kph so I'm going to get a scooter. That being said Indonesia is a great place for exploring on a motorbike.

The same question gets asked often for guys moving to or living in Thailand. The advise is always the same. If you have unlimited finances then go ahead, otherwise sell it/them and buy something local.

4. Bikerbule

Bikerbule Member

Ratings:
    +4
    This could be an option thanks. Although i'm not sure why it would be illegal if i'm not using it on the road? it would be taken by trailer to the track and used there.

How does a motorcycle qualify for being household goods?
    That is what i'm asking about here, what are the import and duty charges?

There is nothing here that is not available at home. The value of my 6 in UK would be around 70million rupiah, the exact same year/model would cost around 200million here because of the crazy luxury tax and rarity. I already have 250s and a dirt bike, but would like to bring a big bike over.

5. vocalneal

vocalneal Well-Known Member Cager

Ratings:
    +326
    If you are already here and not bringing a container of household goods I do not know. All I know is a guy put a bike in his container. Only when he went to go home did the problem start.

Crazy luxury tax is just the income tax the wealthy didn't pay in the first place on the income they used to buy whatever it is.

As i said the same dilemma comes up here in Thailand. If you don't care if you lose the bike or end up paying 200 million then go at it. But I'm thinking around 100 % (but might be 300%) import duty levied on the value the customs officer thinks it is worth so he might value it at more than 70 million. Oh and that will be the value of the bike landed so the freight is included. Then add VAT on the whole total.

200 mil is about right same as a Ducati scrambler here.

I do believe however that you are allowed to ride a track bike between your house and the track. I seem to remember that being how some Harley guys get/got away with it.

Then again I'm from an era when the largest bike in Indonesia ,by law, was 200 cc.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  6. centurion

centurion Member Cager

Ratings:
    +53
    As I know the import of second-hand vehicles is forbidden. You can temporarily import vehicles with foreign plates but max for a one year with Carnet de Passages en Douane (CPD) and you have to pay a 20-25% bond that will be paid back to you when you get out from Indonesia with the car or motorbike.
    It would be good to hear how second-hand cars are imported (if this still works) from Singapore trough Batam if somebody knows.

7. El_Goretto

El_Goretto
    Moderator Cager

Ratings:
    +335
    Maybe something to do with the Special Economic Zone in Batam (or something like that?). They may have special rules for that as well. To be frank, I'm just speculating, first I've heard of it.

@Bikerbule I'm honestly not sure.