Impact of coronavirus on religion

Helpful Herbert

Most countries are now moving to ban religious gatherings, and depending on how this pans out, it could become a long term change in how religion is practised. The virus will undoubtedly be endemic in Indonesia for at least the next year, possibly longer. No more Friday prayers? No more Sunday mass? The end of lebaran activities? Loudspeakers to be turned up even louder to make sure people are still praying at home? Since so much of religion is based on communal activities with people very close to each other, how will religious leaders continue to keep close control on their followers without the personal contact? Whatsapp groups? And spare a thought for the FPI - no mobs, 2/12 gatherings etc. What will they do with all the free time?

nd_eric_77

Charter Member
Cager
Most countries are now moving to ban religious gatherings, and depending on how this pans out, it could become a long term change in how religion is practised. The virus will undoubtedly be endemic in Indonesia for at least the next year, possibly longer. No more Friday prayers? No more Sunday mass? The end of lebaran activities? Loudspeakers to be turned up even louder to make sure people are still praying at home? Since so much of religion is based on communal activities with people very close to each other, how will religious leaders continue to keep close control on their followers without the personal contact? Whatsapp groups? And spare a thought for the FPI - no mobs, 2/12 gatherings etc. What will they do with all the free time?
Religions around the world have survived pandemics and plagues since they began. We are living through a historic event, but I have no doubt that Christianity (Catholicism, Protestantism, Orthodoxy, etc), Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, and other religions will be just fine. The longterm trend toward secular atheism will continue more or less on the same path as before the pandemic.
And spare a thought for the FPI - no mobs, 2/12 gatherings etc. What will they do with all the free time?
They will do the same thing they always do... b*tch about Jokowi!!!

dafluff

Cager
I think religious groups that require large indoor congregations are probably among the biggest risk factors in this pandemic. In the early days we have already seen the effects in S. Korea.

It's a lethal combination of ignorant masses who continue to congregate during a pandemic, with enclosed, poorly ventilated spaces.

jstar

Mr. 10,000
They are getting very bored now, so luckily I have this to play on a tablet and via Chromecast on the big screen:

Travellingchez

Charter Member
Cager
They have giant loud speakers to blast their nonsense out still.
All these videos you see of Italy and Spain singing and making music with each other while in isolation it won't be like that here. Will be some idiot yelling in the mic, kids screaming, cockerel, someone else blasting out dangdut while wailing like a cat. Oh I can already hear the cacophony of noise.

jstar

Mr. 10,000
And now they asked me if it was okay to have members of the church come over for Eucharist (communion) and to give them a Hosti.

I said: "Are you crazy?"

They really don't get it. And the older they get the more they behave like little children. :crutch:

Helpful Herbert

I noticed the kids' "online school" seems to have mysteriously dropped religion and praying from the curriculum. Every cloud ...

jstar

Mr. 10,000
An Italian priest's live stream of a mass is going viral after he accidentally activated the live stream filters. During the stream, you can see a helmet appear along with dumbells and even mafiosi outfit...

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diorama
Top Bottom