Immigration Check Points

Mangotree

If you are living in Medan and doing a visa run, give Medan and Bundung Airports a miss if coming back in from outside Indonesia. Medan and Bundung have become difficult (so many questions) for the Bule.
I even had to pay a bribe at Medan Airport (and I was legally correct) in order to go to Penang.
An Indonesian friend of mine also said Denpasar Bali Airport is becoming very tight also. :argue:

Mangotree

Compared with KL, Sing and Jakarta, those others that I mentioned want to hold you up with lots of harassing questions which is totally uncalled for. :frusty:

Jamu

Charter Member
Cager
If you are living in Medan and doing a visa run, give Medan and Bundung Airports a miss if coming back in from outside Indonesia. Medan and Bundung have become difficult (so many questions) for the Bule.
I even had to pay a bribe at Medan Airport (and I was legally correct) in order to go to Penang.
An Indonesian friend of mine also said Denpasar Bali Airport is becoming very tight also. :argue:
What sort of visa run are you referring to? 'Living' in Indonesia on a series of visas on arrival or coming in with a new sosbud visa every six months? In either case I think immigration would have every right to ask questions to determine if the visa being used was appropriate for the nature of the visit.

Mangotree

I visit friends in Sumatra 3 months a year on VOA. So, what's wrong with doing a visa run for the 3 months. Doesn't seem to be a problem in Thailand. :mmph:

R Cameron

Charter Member
Cager
I visit friends in Sumatra 3 months a year on VOA. So, what's wrong with doing a visa run for the 3 months. Doesn't seem to be a problem in Thailand. :mmph:
You definitely should not be required to pay a bribe, but it is also reasonable for them to ask questions to see if anything suspicious comes up, particularly if you are working illegal in Indonesia. You may consider having your friend sponsor you for a social/cultural visit visa.

snpark

Cager
They are well within their rights to ask you any number of questions and if you are continuously renewing a "tourist" visa then they also have every right to be suspicious. Regardless of if you are working legally here or not (and we don't need to know if you are - BUT STOP IT IF YOU ARE) there are many better ways to stay here for 6 month at a time if you are really just a tourist visiting friends etc. And if you ARE working here illegally, whether it's trading bitcoin, vlogging, blogging, nomadding digitally or whatever, then stop it, get a real legal valid KITAS IMTA etc and pay your taxes. You get no sympathy here if they catch up with you one day, since you already seem to be on their radar. They can and do check home addresses / sponsors etc.

If you are just here on a never ending holiday, look to get a 6 month visa. Be careful now that "visiting friends" is not classed as tourism these days.

Hati2

waarmstrong

Charter Member
Cager
We get a 60 visa through the Indonesian Consulate in Chicago for our annual visit. Our passage the passed four years through immigration and customs at CGK have been routine, i.e. no hassles whatsoever.

Balifrog

Thailand has also become more strict on back to back "tourist" visas and 30 d visa waivers. Specially overland to Cambodia for example.
And rightly so IMO.

Chiron

Cager
With regards to SosBud visas, I had a conversation with someone in Bali who's been stringing these together for about 9 years now. So far he's not run into any problems. Every 6 months it's off to Singapore, get a new SosBud, wait 60 days, and then off to Imigrasi every 30 days for 4 months to extend for the full 180 days. Then back to Singapore - wash-rinse-repeat. Multiply by 9 years, and you have 18 visas, and 72 visits to Imigrasi.

He was suggesting this as a model for my own visa situation. My thoughts on this were: A) That would be insane, and B) Eventually someone is going to start asking questions. I've just never been lucky when it comes to pushing the boundaries on these types of things. The spousal VITAS/KITAS is the way to go if you're married to an Indonesian. He is actually married to an Indonesian woman, so wasn't sure why he was going through that sort of process. With the cost of the visas, plane tickets, hotel stay in Singapore, the hassle of dealing with Imigrasi every 30 days, and the possibility of being denied entry one day - it's just not worth it.

I've heard that this is preferred method for a number of the vlogger/digital nomad sorts of people. They claim to be "living" in Bali, but in reality they may be living on borrowed time.

centurion

Cager
Is there any difference if you are doing a visa run with one-day interruption, not on the same day? I.e you go evening, come back next day in the morning?

Jamu

Charter Member
Cager
With regards to SosBud visas, I had a conversation with someone in Bali who's been stringing these together for about 9 years now. So far he's not run into any problems. Every 6 months it's off to Singapore, get a new SosBud, wait 60 days, and then off to Imigrasi every 30 days for 4 months to extend for the full 180 days. Then back to Singapore - wash-rinse-repeat. Multiply by 9 years, and you have 18 visas, and 72 visits to Imigrasi.

He was suggesting this as a model for my own visa situation. My thoughts on this were: A) That would be insane, and B) Eventually someone is going to start asking questions. I've just never been lucky when it comes to pushing the boundaries on these types of things. The spousal VITAS/KITAS is the way to go if you're married to an Indonesian. He is actually married to an Indonesian woman, so wasn't sure why he was going through that sort of process. With the cost of the visas, plane tickets, hotel stay in Singapore, the hassle of dealing with Imigrasi every 30 days, and the possibility of being denied entry one day - it's just not worth it.

I've heard that this is preferred method for a number of the vlogger/digital nomad sorts of people. They claim to be "living" in Bali, but in reality they may be living on borrowed time.
Agree that this is not the way to go. It seems to be abusing the purpose of the sosial budaya visa, which was not designed to permit people to live full time in Indonesia indefinitely. It's a bit like the sword of Damacles, since at any moment imigrasi could decide to put an immediate end to this party, and then good luck applying for Kitas...

snpark

Cager
And none of those digital bloggers pay taxes either remember

They just sit in a Bali cafe all day snuggling a soy latte for 4 hours while using the free WiFi .Then complain about the prices. Or the traffic. And don't wear a helmet . Too cool for that!

jstar

Mr. 10,000
I heard the system that Immigration is using, was down at Bali's airport? The reason given was they changed to a new vendor.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ellmer
Top Bottom