If you have stuff to give away, here's a good option

Puspawarna

Cager
Whenever I move, I end up giving away a lot of things that I don't want to sell. A lot of times household staff will take things, but I have found there is a limit to how well that works: if you have several staff and one special item, it's hard to figure out who to give it to. Also, I have given items away because I wanted stuff out of the house, only to find that the staff filled up the garage with everything I gave them, which doesn't meet my definition of "out of the house."

Anyway, here is a great alternative if you live in Jakarta - quoting from an email I was sent by Caroline Tobing, who operates "Paisley Things":

We are a foundation and we go to the villages where we operate therefore there is always something for everyone.

Our address is Jl Bumi No31A

We are located near Pasar Majestic just around the corner to Pakubuwono.

My hand phone number is

0813-80010410
Feel free to call me.
We gladly accept the donation.

I gave them several boxes of clothes, kids' toys, and other miscellaneous items, and got a nice thank you note back assuring me that it would all be useful. They will be my go-to place for donations in the future.

Last edited:

jstar

Mr. 10,000
I've seen the lady on a couple of occasions at different market places (expo, kunstkring, ...); it seems they are making interesting items by recycling materials. And it's for a good cause.

Puspawarna

Cager
I've seen the lady on a couple of occasions at different market places (expo, kunstkring, ...); it seems they are making interesting items by recycling materials. And it's for a good cause.

Yes, they accept empty liquor bottles because they etch artwork into them and sell them. Or so I'm told - I have not actually seen their stuff myself. Apparently their creations are quite lovely.

William King

Charter Member
Cager
Nice one.

But as a note, many alcohol bottles are reused by pirates. My staff sell them, however I understand some bars in Kemang smash their bottles (after use, of course) to take them out of circulation, so I have been told.

Puspawarna

Cager
Nice one.

But as a note, many alcohol bottles are reused by pirates.

Ooh, that's a good point. Now I feel guilty about all the liquor bottles I've thrown in the trash over the past decade in Jakarta (we have had commissary privileges during most of our time, so no shortage of drunken revelries at the Puspa household). I sure hope none of them ended up being used for counterfeiting.

Since Paisley Things seems legit (several people have confirmed that they have seen their liquor-bottle artwork) I will make sure they get all my bottles in the future.

Saigon

I been told iby several church elders ever since I can remember to give to charity either cash or in kind but since its New Year its about time to unclog the closet and the house for some clutters (not to mention the pending relocation after 5months).
So in the next few days I will post whatever I can dig from my man cave. My wife will surely be static.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Richard
Top Bottom