IEMI registration for non phone devices

Ozric13

Hi all

Hope someone can point me in the right direction here.

I know there are new laws in place where visitors coming into the country have to register their phones IEMI, ok no problem.

But recently I had sent to me 5 x 4G modems for use in electronic devices, now of course these have a modem and therefore IEMI numbers.

How do I register these devices as the normal website for IEMI submission seems to be only phones and a maximum of 2 devices, also the devices will stay in Indonesia.

Any help gratefully appreciated

Cheers Alan

Good question. Actually I don't know. I recently used an old mifi (from The Netherlands) here in Indonesia. Used it with a local sim card. Never had a problem. I also didnot think about it before, to register this device, until I read this post. Hmm, why did the mifi + sim work? Maybe your modem also will operate without registration?

Hi all

Hope someone can point me in the right direction here.

I know there are new laws in place where visitors coming into the country have to register their phones IEMI, ok no problem.

But recently I had sent to me 5 x 4G modems for use in electronic devices, now of course these have a modem and therefore IEMI numbers.

How do I register these devices as the normal website for IEMI submission seems to be only phones and a maximum of 2 devices, also the devices will stay in Indonesia.

Any help gratefully appreciated

Cheers Alan
You could only register two mobile phones and the price should not exceed US$500 (?). Not sure but higly likely MiFi will count similar to one mobile phone.
If you have registered the IMEI of your two phones why would you need to register the IMEI of your MiFi. You could use your phone as a hotspot, like Mifi, it is only better.
Let alone if your mobile phones have two simcard slots.
Alternately, you could just buy a cheap Chinese phone in Indonesia for less than IDR1m with two slots to be used as hotspots. So there is no need to register it, rather than sending your mifi to Indonesia.
Something like this

Last edited:
Good question. Actually I don't know. I recently used an old mifi (from The Netherlands) here in Indonesia. Used it with a local sim card. Never had a problem. I also did not think about it before, to register this device, until I read this post. Hmm, why did the mifi + sim work? Maybe your modem also will operate without registration?
Have you used your Mifi in Indonesia before, eg on your previous visit to Indonesia ??
If not is it already mire than three months. It has been reported it stop working after three months, if nit registered.

Good question. Actually I don't know. I recently used an old mifi (from The Netherlands) here in Indonesia. Used it with a local sim card. Never had a problem. I also didnot think about it before, to register this device, until I read this post. Hmm, why did the mifi + sim work? Maybe your modem also will operate without registration?
So how long have you been using it? As I've heard it will get blocked automatically 60-90 days

So how long have you been using it? As I've heard it will get blocked automatically 60-90 days
Yes, it will be blocked after 90 days. I used this device because the sim card in my phone did not have good internet service in my area. But, as pantaiema asked me if I used it before in Indonesia on my previous visits .. yes I did .. I recall now. Sorry, for the confusion. So, the imei of my mifi was registered already.

Last edited:
an old mifi (from The Netherlands)
Is it already 4G?

Yes, it will be blocked after 90 days.
My understanding is:
  • max. 90 days usage with foreign SIM card.
  • blocked from 1st day for local SIM Card usage but Telkomsel can unlock for 3 months, i.e. if you visit Grapari/buy a SIM card from them, etc.

Is this correct or would it work if a random Indonesian SIM card is input into a newly arrived foreign phone without any activation process done? Thank you.

Is it already 4G?

My understanding is:
  • blocked from 1st day for local SIM Card usage but Telkomsel can unlock for 3 months, i.e. if you visit Grapari/buy a SIM card from them, etc.

Is this correct or would it work if a random Indonesian SIM card is input into a newly arrived foreign phone without any activation process done? Thank you.
Correct, at least for bullet item 2. Happened to me last year. Visited Grapari, they unlocked for 3 months, not big issue as at that time I stayed in Indonesia for 1.5 month only.
When I returned to Indonesia 6 month later, I could not use my SIM card. So, I registered my phone immediately at the airport.

Is it already 4G?

My understanding is:
  • blocked from 1st day for local SIM Card usage but Telkomsel can unlock for 3 months, i.e. if you visit Grapari/buy a SIM
    Is it already 4G?

My understanding is:

My old mifi was used before 15 September 2020. When this Regulation Surat Edaran no. SE 12/BC/2020 was implemented in Indonesia. So, my mifi was registered and was not blocked when I used it again in 2021. After 15 sep 2020 you are allowed 2 hp or items, like cellular based handheld computers or tablets per person and need to have their imei registered. After 60 days you are unable to register your phone or items. They are then blocked for using with local sim card. Your phone or items can ofcourse stil be used with your foreign sim cards. But that will be expensive. I heard Telkomsel has a service for tourists regarding local sim card use, but I don't know the details.

I visited Indonesia for 6 weeks during August/September 2022. During that time, I was using T-Mobile (using a SIM card from the US), which allowed roaming and a limited amount of high-speed data. I'm trying to understand this blocking mechanism, and what it will mean for my next trip in August, 2023.

Does the 90 day usage rule, somehow accumulate? In other words, if I was there for about 45 days last year, will there be another 45 days available at a later time? Or once you start using a foreign SIM, it starts a 90 day clock, and after that it will be blocked forever whether it was used or not?

I'm just trying to determine if I will need to get a local Indonesian SIM card on this upcoming trip. Or will I just need to register my phone and foreign SIM card at the airport when I arrive?

I visited Indonesia for 6 weeks during August/September 2022. During that time, I was using T-Mobile (using a SIM card from the US), which allowed roaming and a limited amount of high-speed data. I'm trying to understand this blocking mechanism, and what it will mean for my next trip in August, 2023.

Does the 90 day usage rule, somehow accumulate? In other words, if I was there for about 45 days last year, will there be another 45 days available at a later time? Or once you start using a foreign SIM, it starts a 90 day clock, and after that it will be blocked forever whether it was used or not?

I'm just trying to determine if I will need to get a local Indonesian SIM card on this upcoming trip. Or will I just need to register my phone and foreign SIM card at the airport when I arrive?
You can use a foreign SIM as often or as long as you have service with the home provider. The SIM blocking is just with local SIM cards as a way to make sure the device has had the proper taxes paid. In other words, this kind of blocking does not apply in your case.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819
Back