Huge power outage Aug 4, 2019 in Jakarta/West Java

dafluff

Cager
Currently a massive black out reported, affecting Jakarta, Bekasi, Tangerang, and even cascading to Bandung and Cirebon.

Commuter line and MRT also affected, with trains literally stopped dead in their tracks.

MRT Jakarta are saying that all trains have been safely evacuated.

Hope there weren't any claustrophobes in the trains that stopped underground!

Still no power. Rumors are anywhere from 6-8 pm for restoration. The roads near our house were a Charlie Foxtrot

But outside is still free light and a/c right? Wow. Amazing

Light failing rapidly now. And houses and communities here have little natural breeze.

Went to a nearby food court for dinner...it was (surprise) packed with people...decided to check a Holiday Inn next door to see if they served buffets...not only they didn't, the front desk had four lines of people waiting to get a room...I went back to the food court, ordered the food and patiently waited....I can only imagine the looks of the hotel guests right after they paid around $100+ and only to find out an hour and a half later the electricity is back on...

Not on yet...
We got it back at 2 am out in rural hilly Kab Bdg, some parts close by got it on sooner than us, I was sat watching the sections light up from our roof terrace.

Oh boy. I haven't heard from my son or his dad in the past few hours (bet I can guess why) but I have an image in mind now ...

My son just flew into Indonesia from Philadelphia and got picked up at the airport by his dad, who lives on lantai 17 of a Jakarta apartment building. This being Jakarta, it's not really 17 floors up - no floor 4, 13, or 14, and I can't recall if they have a "ground floor" before the first floor or not - but by my count it's got to be a minimum of 11 flights of steps they'll have to climb.

Said son is now 21 and a delight in many ways, but has saddened his mother by the fact he's an absolute slug with respect to ever getting even minimal exercise; he flees in terror from organized sports [to be fair, I do too] but [unlike me - I run and lift weights] also hates individual forms of exercise like running, swimming, etc.

His dad is much better about such things, but I suspect has had several stair-climbing endeavors already in recent days (he definitely walked down all the steps when the big earthquake struck, and he may have had to walk downstairs to get a cab to the airport).

Anyway, I see the two of them, trudging pitifully all the way up to the apartment, where the last remnants of air-conditioned comfort may be dissipating ... I hope the windows open!

My colleagues have been informed that there will be more blockouts today - apparently around 11am. The "villiage head" told one of my team members who live locally about it. Anyone else heard about that? I can't find anything online (we don't have a generator :cry:).

Apartments always have a gensek (at least ones where expats would be living) so they wouldn't have mati lampu.
For us, in our house, it went off again at 8am this morning.

Our power came back at 10:30 pm Sunday evening after a 10 hour hiatus. The roof is off the house (New metal trusses going in.) so it was rather breezy except, of course, in the one functioning bedroom under a concrete pan system where it was getting a bit stuffy. I was getting ready to eat all the ice cream in the frig when the lights flickered back on.

I was there in Tangerang too, on holiday at day 2..... my kids started to get nervous, not about the darkness (we had candles everywhere) but when they saw that the mobile phone battery shows 5%, the drama started.....

Well we all have survived, also the kids with finally dead mobiles.... and we just returned from our yearly Jakarta - Bali - Bandung trip last friday.

Gee, why don't I feel sorry for anyone in Jakarta? Oh, yeah, maybe because for years we went with 6 to 7 hour outages every day. When we lucked out and it was only 4 hours, we celebrated. Now it was announced that those poor Jakartans will get refunds. Our DPRD called NSP and demanded they show up to give their lame brained excuses. They didn't bother to even do that. Nope, I feel nothing for those in Jakarta.

What is the appropriate word here? Oh yes -- schadenfreude.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nightclubs
Back