How To Secure A job As A Teacher In Indonesia

Missnaughty

Charter Member
Cager
1. A Foreigner (Native English Speaker)
2. No Teaching Experience, except teaching english in EF when still young.
3. Not young anymore.. :frusty:
4. Objection : working in Indonesia with proper documents.
5. Have Master degree in common major but not teaching.

Question :

What should I do now? Shall I take a certification or such before applying?

MissN, one of our members has graciously agreed to write an article that we can put in a stickied directory on the topic of how to get a teaching job in Indonesia, so eventually we should have a good answer that people can refer to.

You raise an interesting point about age, though. That's an aspect I hadn't thought of. My son's teachers have been all across the board in terms of age, from young to nearing forced retirement, but hiring policies at JIS may not be typical of the broader employment landscape for foreign teachers. It's a subject worth addressing.

Question :

You must have a degree/certificate in Education, such as PGCE or a Master degree.

You then need 5 years experience teaching. (EF does not count)

You must be under 58 (the law says 60, but because most schools use 2 year contracts DIKNAS insists that they must be under 58 years old.) - not that I am insinuating you are that old, but just saying for accuracies sake.

You may only teach the subject with which your degree corresponds. eg: Science for Science, English for English and look out if you have a weird degree. (eg: Interdisciplinary or Business Studies... it makes their heads hurt and they say no. Cannot compute.

Question :

Based on the "question", Misna, (may I call you Misna?) MiNa?) I'd guess we are thinking the facts mentioned refer to you, specifically. Correct?

You are no longer WNI? If not, then the same standard will apply as to any other foreign teacher / applicant / wannabe.

As far as meeting "native speaker" requirement, the Indonesian government seems to define native speakers (English) as a person originating or bearing passport from the US, Canada, UK, Australia or New Zealand.

No teaching experience is a definite problem, if you are considered as "TKA". I am not sure about the assertion made here that experience teaching in a language school / training center such as EF would not be applicable, but in any case, one is now officially required to have five years teaching experience, as I understand things.

"Not young anymore" - we have this in common :) - it's still technically possible as long as at least under 58, as mentioned by Mr. King ... though being near that mark would certainly shorten any "career" as a foreign teacher in Indonesia considerably.

#4: I think perhaps you mean to say "objective", rather than "objection"?

#5: What is the major, specifically of the Master's degree? As King says, you should have a degree with a major considered as "cocok" for the subject you want to teach, so for English it can be English Lit, English Linguistics, TESOL, etc, or a degree in education such as B.Ed or M.Ed.

Bottom line, if you don't have a degree with corresponding major to the subject and five years experience, you won't meet the official government requirements, so taking a certificate course (such as TEFL or TESOL, CELTA) may be something of a waste of resources, if teaching English in Indonesia (and nowhere else) is the "objective".

For WNI, of course, the same requirements do not apply (five years experience, native speaker, etc) and one should check for the relevant requirements for WNI candidates.

Oww.. yes.. objective... thank you for the correction.. now I can not pretend to be a native english speaker, can I?.. :D

Re the post, It was just me thinking out loud to find a way to bring my partner to live in Indonesia and I am not very good at dealing with the authorities .. I am trying to find a way so somebody else can sponsor him.. in another words.. I do not want to be responsible for him.. :hippie:

We want to retire early.. and enjoy the life when we are still "young" (read: younger than usual retiree). We have few years to prepare. Drop one child in college and let the other go "green school" ..

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stats