How to get 3 phase electricty?

OomBen

Charter Member
Cager
I require a 3 phase electric connection to run a piece of machinery and was wondering if anyone has had experience in doing this through PLN.

Currently I have a 7700w single phase connection, equipment requires 5500w three phase connection. An inverter could be used but the machine builder is having difficulty sourcing an appropriate inverter and says he'd pay for upgrading from 7700w to 10600w which he says is 3 phase.

I spoke with a neighbor who does PLN installations and he confused me since he works on the informal side of PLN stuff (and charges more than double what PLN Pusat does). But he confused me because he said he can install single phase at 10600w (not what I asked for). I need three phase, not one or two, but three. I'm pretty stupid when it comes down to AC theory but 3 phases means each phase is out of phase from the other (thus the neutral wire can be shared and greater electrical load can be used over less wire).

Anyways.... Anyone have experience with ordering/changing pln to a 3 phase connection? I'll probably just end up ordering it and see what happens...but if you know about this, please chime in.

R Cameron

Charter Member
Cager
Just go into the local PLN office and order it. You'll need some proof you own and/or have rights over the land. The building may need to be designated commercial/industrial to qualify for a 3 phase installation.

Google lead me to this chart of the power ratings and the rightmost column designates single phase or 3 phase:
Tabel-Daya-Tersambung-PLN.jpg

atlantis

Administrator
Cager
Just go into the local PLN office and order it.
This. Very simple procedure. They will inform you about the price, come to survey the place and installation and change your meter. We have several of these 3 phase meter, installed over the years as we needed them, and none have been an headache to get. The latest one is a 3 phase 6600W and I don't think we paid more than 5 millions. Not sure I have the bill somewhere to confirm but believe that I would remember if it would be an outrageous price.

OomBen

Charter Member
Cager
Thank you both for your responses. That list absolutely helps.

I deal with some stupid anxiety issues when it comes to stuff like going to PLN by myself. The meter is currently in my wife's name and I don't think is a big deal to just order via the PLN app. The app had her verify herself with KTP and photo of herself with her KTP, once verified I think it'll be no problem. Worst case scenario, they come and check it out and find that they can't do the job.

Last edited:

OomBen

Charter Member
Cager
Just an update...

I downloaded the PLN app and ordered an upgrade. Cost was about 4.3 million and its going to post paid now since they dont have the prepaid system available. (payment includes a deposit)

My neighbor who does PLN work offered to do the work for 8 million.

4.3 million through PLN Pusat
Or
8 million through shady neighbor...

Payment for the upgrade is easy enough if you have a bank that they allow nontaglis transfers from (BCA, bni, not sure what the others are, jenius and CIMB Niaga do not work).

I made the payment from a BNI atm from my account and the atm just sort of froze for a minute and said it timed out. My money was gone and PLN got no money. The money was returned about 24 hours later and payment was finally successful via BNI mobile banking.

Now let's see how long it takes for someone to show up and do the installation. I need to tell my neighbor I went through pusat so he stops asking me if I'm ready to upgrade through him... Now let's see if he comes and does the installation anyways...

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aji
Top Bottom