How does one Register a new Pre-paid SIM card

kiperto

Other than going into the GraPari store and paying TELKOMSEL rates for data how do you now buy and use a SIM with XL, Indosat, or Tri?

I do not have a Kartu Keluarga and all of the small shops I have gone to say it's not possible and a foreigner can only register at a GraPari store.

Has anyone had success in the last few months since this SIM registration business has become active registering a new SIM card for data without the use of a WNI's KK+KTP.

Online? No.

Without rehashing the whole discussion in the other thread; if you don’t have access to that, take your passport and go to the official XL / IndoSat / Telkomsel / .... store in your local mall.

There is no way, that is the point, you have to go to the office with your passport and register, it only takes 2 minutes, you cannot do it online
Telkomsel has an office shop thingy in ITC Ambs that is where I did all my numbers

For the others, sorry no idea, don't use those XL etc numbers, perfectly happy with Tsel and also never understand how people run out of data? With Tsel unlimited it was 99rb a month on my old BB, now its 140rb a month unlimited for iphone / smartphone and I think even with the new BB I have (the Android one) that one is still only around 100rb a month for unlimited. At home it kicks onto my home wifi anyway, so not sure what these people do all day to burn up huge data packets?

With Tsel unlimited it was 99rb a month on my old BB, now its 140rb a month unlimited for iphone / smartphone and I think even with the new BB I have (the Android one) that one is still only around 100rb a month for unlimited.

Telkomsel unlimited options?? I've never seen that, is there any more information you can give us? Is it pre-paid or post-paid? When I look at data paket available in my Tsel app there are a few large options over 150rb that are 20+gb for 30 days.... why would that even exist if there's unlimited available for 100-140rb? I'm confused, and intrigued.

*363# or something from your phone, gives you all the monthly options, depends also what phone you use

Yes, depends on phone, current plan, membership status, day of the week, solar positions, .....

It is amazingly vague and impossible to replicate Telkomsel‘s promos, they are different everywhere for everyone.

And even the App and *363# on my own phone don’t offer the same promotions.

*363# or something from your phone, gives you all the monthly options, depends also what phone you use

I've looked with both iPhone and Android, I've done the *363# hundreds of times, now I just use the app which typically has the same selection cheaper, and in neither have I ever seen a Telkomsel paket with unlimited kuota. Is that what you meant? Unlimited kuota?

I don't use any app
I just did *363# years ago and subscribed to the monthly package and it automatically deducts 99rb or 140rb every month (it reminds you a day or so before) and you can cancel it anytime

When you do 363 from your phone it comes up with lots of options and plans, weekly, daily, monthly etc, for iphone, smartphone, blackberry etc etc

Take time go through them all, don't worry you need to reconfirm before you accidentally subscribe, just look at each option then reply 9 to go back one step again in the menu
Usually the promo is nothing special

There is even a way to get it to work in SG etc for 1day / 3 days unlimited too - just need to know which one to click on (not the promo one, I think it is under "others" )

So to update, today I went to the GraPari store even though I did not want to put another TELKOMSEL SIM in one of our phones. I should add that I am getting SIM cards for teens who will pay for their own pulsa and data from pocket money. Of which, using IM3, XL, or Tri goes A LOT further than TELKOMSEL.

So after waiting 10-12 minutes just to be seen by customer service (there was no machine in sight) I was told I needed to have the original passport, not the copies I brought with me. No big deal as I really did not want to register a SIM with them anyway.

Later I did find the location to the Indosat store in town and took original passport there. The satpam greeted me and told me something different. They only had postpaid SIM cards, not prepaid. So if I wanted my kids to pay Rp 110.000 every month I was set. He suggested I go to a large SIM reseller in the kota. The I explained the situation about registering without a KK and KTP and, at this point, I could swear he winked at me.

So it was off to the store where everyone in town buys their SIMs and pulsa.

Me: "I need two Indosat SIM cards but I am not sure how to register them as a foreigner. What do I do?"
They: "Two Indosat SIMs coming up. How many GB?"
Me: "1 GB. But did you catch what I just said about not having a KTP and KK?
They: ~wink~ "Two SIMS right?"
Five minutes later after some numbers punched into a phone with the SIM cards slid into a special bracket
They: "Here you are. That will be Rp. 42.000."

I asked no further questions, paid the money and left. I now have two working SIMS. I'll update if they blow up, or are cut off in the near future

And then we will all say "told you so"
Newbie asks for advice, ignores it, then cries later

Update: SIMS purchased with no registration still working. Every month I put about 35.000 on them and buy a data packet from IM3. The family uses them as "getting around" phones. It has turned out to be very economical. And I don't have to worry about having multiple SIM cards registered to my passport.

Yep, and in the mean time there is someone who has no clue but 'officially' owns your telephone numbers. For various reasons I don't really like that idea.

Yep, and in the mean time there is someone who has no clue but 'officially' owns your telephone numbers. For various reasons I don't really like that idea.
Ouch. That must be exactly what the shop did. I never thought much about their workaround until you just posted this. Is there any way to check the KK number my SIM cards are registered to?

Just wonder how many Telkomsel pre-paid SIM cards registered under your name/ID you can have at the same time?

Three.
That was the original amount. But now the Ministry (Kementerian Komunikasi dan Informatik) has made it unlimited.
Good, because (effectively) being told you can only have 3 phones is a bit too Orwellian.
& I know many small businesses that need around 20 phone numbers active to work effectively.
& then there are all those phones with dual sim ...
& then there are us pesky foreigners who cannot get our NIK to load, so latch on to our spouse's NIK to register... it really was never going to work out well restricting it to 3.

If you register a new Telkomsel pre-paid SIM card and get it activated successfully in Jakarta (for example), can you get a replacement in Surabaya when you lose it by presenting the original ID you used previously? Or you will be asked to go back to where you bought it to get a new one?

If you register a new Telkomsel pre-paid SIM card and get it activated successfully in Jakarta (for example), can you get a replacement in Surabaya when you lose it by presenting the original ID you used previously? Or you will be asked to go back to where you bought it to get a new one?

They should be able to trace your record if you indeed registered that Sim card with your official identification. When this registration rule came out, I was already owning a number that I registered 3-4 years ago. As it is, they limit outgoing data and calls until it's registered. I brought a copy of my passport too the grapari but was told that I need to produce the original passport.

Lying that my passport was held by the hotel, I politely asked them to check into their system that the number was already registered 3-4 years ago with my passport. Turns out, they need original for registration. But, as mine is already registered at the point of purchase, they can immediately activate the outgoing data and call.

Does anyone have a solution for keeping an Indonesian SIM card active (in Indonesia) while travelling overseas?

Several times I've had to get a new number when coming back, because the old one has gone inactive. Then there's the hassle of distributing the new number to those who require it.

I'd like to think that there's some simple solution I'm overlooking, but 'simple solution' and 'Indonesia' are two phrases that I've rarely put together in a sentence.

Any suggestions would be appreciated :)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsabouttimebc
Back