How could I be a "permanent resident" of Indonesia as eks-WNI?

ramsaso

Sebenarnya, sy bisa ngomong dalam bhs Indo, tp karna sy kurang lancar dengan tata cara tulis nya, sy akan guna bhs. Ingris biar nggak pusing untuk orang2 yg baca ini.

So I was born in the United States in 1998. I'm a 20th century kid... :)

My mother and father, both Indonesian citizens, immediately registered me to hold Indonesian citizenship and, as a result, I had dual-citizenship until I turned 21.

Ever since living in the United States and being somewhat depressed in how to function in society here, I find that being in Indonesia would be beneficial to me and my well-being, because

1. I know the language pretty well (bhs gaul---pasti lah! Tp bhs baku, mungkin sy agak susah untuk ngomongnya tp sy msh ngerti, gitu).
2. I have relatives in Bekasi Barat so I have a place to stay.
3. People here in the United States, are really not that social than compared to people in Indonesia. You could say it's culture shock, to say the least, but I don't like being "cold" to others if you get what I mean.

My mother has often nudged me to be in Indonesia (she's living here as a green card holder) because of the reasons above, and to be honest, I'm inclined to agree with her.

Being that the case (with the Coronavirus still rampant in the world, even with the vaccine),
how would one be able to hold any sort of status (I'm not that versed with what Indonesia offers, for visas and all that) to stay and work there while still being able to hold my US citizenship?

I apologize in advance should this be too broad.

dafluff

Cager
As an ex-WNI you are eligible for a KITAP (Permanent Stay permit, valid for 5 years), provided you have a WNI relative that can sponsor you. The normal step would be to apply for a VITAS, make it a KITAS after you arrive, then convert to KITAP after 1 year in Indonesia.

With the pandemic restrictions still in place, I am not entirely sure if they do take applications at this time, but you can try. The system is entirely online now: https://visa-online.imigrasi.go.id/

Helpful Herbert

Getting residence is fine as an ex-WNI, but what will you do here? If you want to work, as a 23yo, that might be more difficult to do, because as a non-citizen your options are quite restricted on a KITAP.

Nimbus

Charter Member
Cager
If you’re not doing anything productive in USA, perhaps you can spend several months in Indo to see how things work. Yes, life can be challenging in USA, but Indonesia is no cake walk either. In many respects life in Indonesia is harder than America.

dannyboy

hey Ramsaso,

you can check out this old thread:

HappyMan

Charter Member
Cager
I don't know much about exWNI status specifically, but I think your major problem is going to be finding work locally and getting a visa/work permit for that work. I don't know what you do or what your qualifications are, but the old classic "I'll go teach English" method of immigration has become difficult here, requiring five years teaching experience in your home country and a relevant degree in order to get a work permit. It is my (very general and shallow) understanding that most fields are similar, in line with the government's intention to prioritize the employment of locals and import only necessary experts (hence the 5 years experience).

If you have some form of income that does not require you to work for or with Indonesian companies or companies that have a presence here, then I guess you just need to arrange to stay. What came to mind for you to start with was the SosBud visa, but you'll get better info from the link above than what I could give you.

jukung11

Cager
#1 Get a college education in the United States, if you don't already have one. I have met a few acquaintances of Indonesians that sought refugee status in the United States after the 1998. They were unfamiliar with all the tricks of the U.S. higher education system and I helped them navigate to get into colleges for their children. If you want, you can PM me and I will give what insight I can about how to quickly and cheaply get a U.S. degree.

Unlike the U.S. system, Indonesia separates the right to legally work from the right to legally stay. Combined with the fact that your parents are not in Indonesia to sponsor you, your best bet is to get a legal work permit from an employer. Since you have American citizenship and an American college degree you can get employment as an English teacher. The experience requirement is typically waived for that form of employment. If you already have a degree in a specific field, you can look into that. If you are unfamiliar with the legal requirements for employment in Indonesia, I can write more on that.

#2 Get a covid vaccine in the United States. They are doing a much better job at vaccinating the public. Indonesia is planning to reopen first to vaccinated travelers.

Banana72

Charter Member
Cager
So you said you were born in 1998..I assume you've always lived in the US and rarely visit Indonesia? Did you go to college there? Since you say you can speak Indonesian, I assume you have Indonesian friends there? Say you move here...any particular reason you think you'll do well here? Depending on who you hang out here, (I'd say) Jakartans now are different than 20 years ago (of course you were three at that time..)..and just want to honestly say, as much as you feel you're not 'American enough' to really gel in with the crowd there...you might get another shock when you try to blend in with the people here too (but then again I don't know too many 20+ year olds....maybe they are easy to hang out with each other these days). Just my opinion as another ex-WNI.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serro