Homebrewing... and other mysterious potions

steveandpenny

Cager
I know who drank most of the tequila in manado but im not saying who...

And I might be spelling it wrong but chapticus also know as the water of life that is brewed up in the hills kind of like moonshine.

Davita

RIP
Charter Member
I know who drank most of the tequila in manado but im not saying who.....
I'm sure I know who you mean in Manado as I've had a few cocktails with him and I never saw him overflow.... but I wasn't aware his propensity was Tequila. I thought he's more a quaffing Bordeaux man...but maybe he just starts on wine as a warm-up to the real thing...:nod:

Banana72

Charter Member
Cager
Well looks like I might need another homebrewer to chat with...seems like fastpitch is taking a break from the board. No reply to my private message. Good news though i think i'm somewhat getting the hang of this....friends/family liked one of my batches...still have a couple bottles left from that, got another gallon batch ready for bottling (I'm just degassing it and letting it sit a bit more) and got another batch just started this week...

Nol

To bad you guys stopt posting, wonder if your still active, making those delicious thee;) i am in jakarta, and made some thee myself manggo and rambutan. Would like exchange recepies

Bad_azz

Charter Member
Cager
I'm still around, I don't have any brews on the go at the moment though.
I really should get started on a new batch. :)
I believe Steve& Penny no longer bother with the forum- I haven't had communication with them for a hell of a long time, sadly.
Fastpitch pops up now and then
Davita is sadly no longer alive.
I guess many forum users just got busy with other aspects of their lives.

Last edited:

fastpitch17

Charter Member
Cager
I continue to play around with the wines. Personally, I would never make a liter of wine at a time. My minimum is 4 to 5 liters at a time. Of course, how long can 4 to 5 bottles go. Not far it seems. Now I have graduated to using the Aqua 19 liter bottles and make 3 to 4 gallons at a time.

Still use all the fruits available at the pasars. Some are great, some end up tasting like crap. Fruits with heavier juices like papaya can be really hard to clear. The local bake shop loves when I show up to buy raisons 5 kilos at a time.

I got really creative one time. I can say creative since I don't drink otherwise I would say got drunk. I decided to create a wine that is made the same way the jambu ladies concoct their poison. I mean roots were dug up and ground and boiled. Took on the color of the turmeric and the smell of the gutter when fermenting. Used a good champagne yeast to keep the alcohol a bit lower. Finally, it was ready to clear and low and behold it cleared to a clear golden color. Rather nice looking. After bottling it in 8, 1\2 liter bottles, I let it age a month before I offered others a taste. No takers. Me neither. It sat another month, then another. Jamu wine. That's scary stuff. Finally I had a nephew visit. He decided that he was a brave soul and would give it a try. Damn, he loved it. Not too dry which I already knew and thought dry would be overwhelming. He drank the half liter. I tried some, my wife still refused. It wasn't bad. Not something for the dinner table but drinkable. Had a hint of the street made jambu but was more a subtle flavor. Jamu wine. Not for red or white meat, serve it with your road kill. My nephew took 4 of the bottles back to Jakarta. It seems it has an effect on people. Puts them to sleep. I doubt I will make any more of that.

Found a nice wine when making one with golden raisins and brown rice. I think even Nixon would have liked this one. I tried the same Chinese rice wine he enjoyed and I think it reminded me of it. Yeas ago so I could be totally wrong.

Banana72

Charter Member
Cager
I was pretty gung ho at some point but I felt not enough fellow homemade wine makers around to have constant chit chat with..I guess I am a social homemade wine maker...and I got type 2 diabetes in 2018 and recently just recovering from hemorrhoid surgery so.....my focus has been shifting towards making low carb bread, foods that are not constipating, etc. but maybe eventually I'll get back to wine making again hopefully before my yeast and other stuff goes bad.

Nol

cool to hear all you guys are still active,
I started a batch of papaya (5kilo) indeed with the 19l btl of aqua + yeast EC-1118
i quote fastpitch17 : papaya can be really hard to clear
The skin of papaya contains pectic enzymes, that you can use to clear wine
So all the peels I kept in the freezer(for future batches), And will add this to my 2nd fermentation, curious how that is going to work out
by the way fastpitch17 how did your papaya wine turn out, drinkable?

I thinking to using mango for my new batch, this weekend, any recipe suggestions?

Also want to make a sake, but this is tricky with the need of koji rice
the spores for a koji rice are available online but the price is rather expensive
(buying would beat the purpose of making cheap wine)
So i was thinking in using a miso paste to add the culture to the plain rice, anyone have ideas or experience with this, or even think its not possible??

fastpitch17

Charter Member
Cager
Ataulfo Mango Wine

The Ataulfo mango, also called Champagne, Honey, Manila, Adaulfo, or Adolfo, is a mango cultivar from Mexico and Hawaii, originally from Indonesia. They are golden yellow and mine weigh around 250 grams each, with an oblong, curved shape similar to a cashew. They have a buttery, non-fibrous, yellow flesh with a rich, spicy and somewhat lemony flavor that masks their high sugar (15 grams per 100-grams) content.

Before we get to the recipe, a word of warning. Mango peel contains urushiol, the chemical in poison ivy and poison sumac that causes contact dermatitis in susceptible people. Do not ferment the fruit with the skin. Peel it and discard the peeling. Handling the peeling will not cause contact dermatitis, but you don't want to consume it.

Ataulfo Mango Wine

• 9 lbs Ataulfo mangoes, peeled and deseeded
  • 1 1/2 lbs granulated sugar
  • water to one gallon 1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
  • 1 tsp yeast nutrient
  • 1/4 tsp tannin
  • Lalvin ICV D-47 (Côtes-du-Rhône) wine yeast
Put water on to boil. Start with 3 quarts; you can add more later if needed. Meanwhile, peel the mangos, cut the pulp away from the seed, and slice and dice the flesh. Tie diced flesh inside a nylon straining bag and put in a primary. Mash the pulp with your hands. Dissolve sugar in boiling water and pour over mashed fruit. Add acid blend, tannin and yeast nutrient. Cover and allow to cool to room temperature. Add pectic enzyme, cover primary and set aside for 12 hours. Add activated yeast in a starter solution and recover the primary. Squeeze bag 2-3 times daily until violent fermentation subsides (7-10 days). Drip drain bag into primary without squeezing. Allow wine to settle overnight, then rack into secondary. Top up and fit airlock. Rack again after 30 days and again every two months for six months or until wine falls brilliantly clear. Stabilize with potassium sorbate and potassium metabisulfite (or finely crushed Campden tablet) and sweeten to taste. Wait 30 days to ensure refermentation does not occur and rack into bottles. Age this wine a year before drinking. Serve chilled or over ice.

Good Luck

fastpitch17

Charter Member
Cager
Also want to make a sake, but this is tricky with the need of koji rice
the spores for a koji rice are available online but the price is rather expensive
(buying would beat the purpose of making cheap wine)
So i was thinking in using a miso paste to add the culture to the plain rice, anyone have ideas or experience with this, or even think its not possible??
I doubt I would ever attempt sake. Rice wine is good enough.

harryopal

Charter Member
Gee Fast Pitch, I can almost see you on the TV program Police Line. I watch this and other such programs to try and improve my limited Bahasa Indonesian. A feature of these programs is the raids on people making homemade Miras... for sale of course. What are the rules regarding do it yourself wine making for personal use?
If you had a particularly vindictive neighbour who said you were selling illicit alcohol it would make a terrific segment for Police Line. I see the camera scanning across that incredibly complex process and then to you being paraded in front of cameras to confess your heinous crime. You are probably limping as it seems at least half of those paraded have bandaged legs from shooting or being jumped on; to encourage their confessions I suppose.
Anyway, before you go to gaol can I get a few litres from you?

fastpitch17

Charter Member
Cager
Of course, nothing is sold. No elaborate set up I'm afraid. None needed.I probably do have a couple neighbors who would report me if they suspected I was selling anything. Those that always look away when we greet them because we are kafer.

I guess the only thing going for me is the nephew who loves my wine and gets his fill along with a few friendly coworkers. I suppose him being a high level officer with the Attorney General Office would come in handy if needed. Plus, any alcohol my products produce is natural and doesn't come from a bottle that may permanently harm people.

jstar

Mr. 10,000
Someone I know (but more focused on beer instead of wines) told me the pectine is rather expensive here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ajitesh27