Home Protection & Self Defence.

I have been living in Indonesia already 22 years so understand how to fit in with the community. This will be my first time, living alone with my son though. I would have hoped that locals would realise that the fact I am living in a tiny, BTN, already means that I am not a rich bule. The TV they stole recently did not even work properly it had lines across it when you viewed, I mostly used it to play music CDs, there were not interested in the DVD player or the CDs DVDs, just took the TV and two fans.

As I am at the end of a row of unoccupied houses backing on to fields in two directions, locals from elsewhere often park their bikes right in front of my house to cross the fields or fish in the nearby pond. They even come and sit on my doorstep. (No money for perimeter walls yet, or kitchen, which is why we have not yet moved in full time) I have already met the owners of the fields and the pond but there is a lot of "outside" traffic. One day a group of lads parked their bikes out front, later I found my car carpet which I had out drying in the sun had been stolen. I doubt they even had a car. My outdoor light (supposedly sensor but didn't work, just stayed on all the time) was also stolen.

I went to fit the window alarms yesterday but actually they don't work on my style of window, so I was just able to fit one to the back door.

Once I see the direct flights PER-LOP promised by Air Asia actually start, I will take the risk and borrow more money, so that I can finish the house.

I have been living in Indonesia already 22 years so understand how to fit in with the community. This will be my first time, living alone with my son though. I would have hoped that locals would realise that the fact I am living in a tiny, BTN, already means that I am not a rich bule. The TV they stole recently did not even work properly it had lines across it when you viewed, I mostly used it to play music CDs, there were not interested in the DVD player or the CDs DVDs, just took the TV and two fans.

As I am at the end of a row of unoccupied houses backing on to fields in two directions, locals from elsewhere often park their bikes right in front of my house to cross the fields or fish in the nearby pond. They even come and sit on my doorstep. (No money for perimeter walls yet, or kitchen, which is why we have not yet moved in full time) I have already met the owners of the fields and the pond but there is a lot of "outside" traffic. One day a group of lads parked their bikes out front, later I found my car carpet which I had out drying in the sun had been stolen. I doubt they even had a car. My outdoor light (supposedly sensor but didn't work, just stayed on all the time) was also stolen.

I went to fit the window alarms yesterday but actually they don't work on my style of window, so I was just able to fit one to the back door.

Once I see the direct flights PER-LOP promised by Air Asia actually start, I will take the risk and borrow more money, so that I can finish the house.
People that have nothing nor believe in nothing may do as they wish thinking there is nothing to loose. That's a hard thing to counter with security devices. The law of the jungle prevailes. As others pointed out, social engineering may be your best option at this point. Find something that deters people from doing these things.

As I am at the end of a row of unoccupied houses backing on to fields in two directions

Sounds like a nice and quiet location, surrounded by nature. But, from a safety perspective it's not ideal. I'm sure the dogs will be a deterrent to some people with bad intentions, but I think it's important that you set the boundaries of your property. Without a boundary (wall or whatever) people who have no business near your house will walk all over your property and disrespect your privacy in other ways.
What I would probably do in your situation, maybe as a temporary solution, is erect a perimeter fence from Spandek with a Galvalum construction. I know this is not pretty, but it's durable, cheap and it does the job. It'll last for many years, maybe even decades and the sharp edge of the metal at the top makes it a bit tricky to climb. Besides that, climbing a Spandek fence is noisy. If you're a bit creative you can paint rice paddies on it and grow some fast growing plants against it to cover it up. My guesstimate is that this will cost around Rp150k/meter for a 2,5 meter high fence. Even cheaper if you'd use seng (bekas).
I like the idea of a safe room. One room with a strong door (and frame!) that cannot be accessed from the outside. Not sure if pepperspray, tear gas and tasers are legal, but they're sold at tokopedia, shopee, bukalapak dll. The price of a canister ranges from kurang lebih Rp75.000 to Rp300.000. Add a metal pipe (from an old shock breaker) and you've become quite a badass. Lighting is important, so if you change the lamp that was stolen, use a cheap local brand and hang it high enough so that it is out of reach.
You said they stole a car carpet. If you can afford a car, some people will perceive you as rich. And they will allow themselves to redistribute some of your wealth to people who have less.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819