Holiday to Maratua islands

wombat

Charter Member
Cager
Folks,

I am planning to go to Maratua east kalimantan. I heard it is a wonderful islands and has a resort with on-the-water villas.
Anyone has experienced travelling there? Any tips and recommendation?

Wombat

I assume you're scuba diver who comfy with moderate to strong currents, otherwise not much to see in the island.
Stayed in nabucco island resort years back. Accommodation was not bad for a remote resort. Food was so so.
Many people prefer to stay in budget accommodation in derawan and then boat day trip maratua and or sangalaki.

Wisnu,

I am not a scuba diver, just a snorkler. I am considering to go there because of its crystal clear water and the over-the-water villas.
I would like to chill out for a few days in a not too touristy place and out of the beaten track. Raja Ampat is also within my short list but I am put off by the cost and the time to get there.

Would you recommend any other destination that would suit my criteria?

Wombat

I assume you're scuba diver who comfy with moderate to strong currents, otherwise not much to see in the island.
Stayed in nabucco island resort years back. Accommodation was not bad for a remote resort. Food was so so.
Many people prefer to stay in budget accommodation in derawan and then boat day trip maratua and or sangalaki.

Wisnu,I am not a scuba diver, just a snorkler. I am considering to go there because of its crystal clear water and the over-the-water villas.I would like to chill out for a few days in a not too touristy place and out of the beaten track. Raja Ampat is also within my short list but I am put off by the cost and the time to get there.Would you recommend any other destination that would suit my criteria?Wombat

I once going there last year. I live at local house to reduce my budget.
You can go to maratua paradise resort. I think the only one that have over water villa until now (that I know, there are some new resorts on progress but I don't have any info about them).
The water is clear and there are many fishes under the deck. this is their link, I think. http://www.maratua.com/en/
If
you search another places to stay, you can go to maratua guesthouse. http://www.maratuaguesthouse.com/and
and if you want to go to quit place, near maratua, there is nabucco island. but it is not available for some season. better you confirm to them before coming.

For recommendation :
- you can go to sangalaki island to search for manta ray. Sometimes they are on surface so you don't need to be a diver to see them.
- Kakaban Island is good thing also. you can snorkel around the deck It has many kind of fish and coral in front of the deck. from the sea, you can go to kakaban lake (there is entrance fee) to see stingless jellyfish.
- Around kakaban, there is also laguna kehe daeng. A sea water lake that formed because of the tide. If you are lucky, you can see some stingrays.
- Around maratua island, you can go to Payung Payung village. There are usually dolphins on the morning and good place for snorkeling too.
- You also need to go to derawan island. In the afternoon, usually there are some sea turtle that eat the seaweed near beaches. you can snorkel while watching them.

Hope you enjoy your stay.

Last edited:
Wisnu,

I am not a scuba diver, just a snorkler. I am considering to go there because of its crystal clear water and the over-the-water villas.
I would like to chill out for a few days in a not too touristy place and out of the beaten track. Raja Ampat is also within my short list but I am put off by the cost and the time to get there.

Would you recommend any other destination that would suit my criteria?

Wombat

Not very easy requirement Wombat.
Although villa-above water seem nice but does not always mean you can jump and snorkeling/diving there. Either too shallow or the underwater is not very interesting, at least to my standard.

Typically the villa is built on the stilt of sandy / sea grass bottom or if on the reef, the construction will certainly damage the reef. You might need to use boat or swim or using long jetty to get into the sites.

Rubbish and dirt tend to accumulate on the water below the rooms. Of course not all, depend on the location of the resor and wind direction. High end resorts typically far cleaner; and most of the R4 resort has much better and healthier reef than the other area.

Actually, to get to R4 is not taking more time than to Maratua. There’s direct flight to Sorong, and then plus 1 - 4 hours boat to the resort, depend on the resort location. But, yes, not cheap.

We stayed in Kri eco resort few years ago, basic hut above the water, share mandi style bathroom, good food, cost us more than 5 stars hotel in Bali.

Never been to Ora beach resort. Look nice from the link.

Been to Kadidiri Paradise. Only few rooms are above the water. The room shown in the picture from smallworld link is not as nice on the picture; unless they totally refurbish/renovate it.

Bunaken has the best snorkeling sites but the room is beach front; not above water villa.

Donggala (Prince Jogn Dive resort) is easy to get from Jakarta, beautiful white sand beach, crystal clear water, with several km along healthy reef, but not meet your requirement for above water villa.

Cubadak was in my wish list before. However, a friend (experienced scuba diver) who has visited this resort told me that the resort is very nice, but the dive sites are not special; according to him Bali underwater is much better.

thank you Sir
I once going there last year. I live at local house to reduce my budget.
You can go to maratua paradise resort. I think the only one that have over water villa until now (that I know, there are some new resorts on progress but I don't have any info about them).
The water is clear and there are many fishes under the deck. this is their link, I think. http://www.maratua.com/en/
If
you search another places to stay, you can go to maratua guesthouse. http://www.maratuaguesthouse.com/and
and if you want to go to quit place, near maratua, there is nabucco island. but it is not available for some season. better you confirm to them before coming.

For recommendation :
- you can go to sangalaki island to search for manta ray. Sometimes they are on surface so you don't need to be a diver to see them.
- Kakaban Island is good thing also. you can snorkel around the deck It has many kind of fish and coral in front of the deck. from the sea, you can go to kakaban lake (there is entrance fee) to see stingless jellyfish.
- Around kakaban, there is also laguna kehe daeng. A sea water lake that formed because of the tide. If you are lucky, you can see some stingrays.
- Around maratua island, you can go to Payung Payung village. There are usually dolphins on the morning and good place for snorkeling too.
- You also need to go to derawan island. In the afternoon, usually there are some sea turtle that eat the seaweed near beaches. you can snorkel while watching them.

Hope you enjoy your stay.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PeterRodney
Back
Top Bottom