• We have just upgraded to Xenforo 2.1. We still have a few things to iron out while the forum is live. If you see any bug, please let us know. Any question? Feel free to ask.
  • We have done a little bit of house cleaning with the forums and certain threads.

Read more about it here.
  • We had an error with our database this morning.

It has now been fixed but let us know if you are still facing any trouble.

Help! Does anyone how to limit internet bandwith?

Felicity

Hi,

I'm trying to limit my internet bandwith for guests so their internet activity won't disturb mine. I use fiberhome modem AN5506-04-F model. Can't find any feature on the modem to limit bandwith, all I can do now is to 'whitelist' my devices but that seems rude to block guest's devices :(
All the tutorials I browsed suggest microtic or application like P2Pover. P2Pover seems to work but not for iOS.

Does anyone know how to limit bandwith either using modem's feature or an app?
Thanks!

El_Goretto

Cager
I have the same modem/router, and I don't think you can do this.

You would need to either use another router behind your modem (with a different subnet) or use another access point that has a bandwidth limiter function although I'm not sure that exists.

Because I found the modem from my provider seriously lacking, this is how I've set up my home network:

Modem:
Code:
Local IP Address: 192.168.1.1
Wireless radio: Disabled
DHCP Server: Disabled
Firewall: Disabled
DMZ: 192.168.2.1
Router:
Code:
Local IP Address: 192.168.2.1 (note the 2nd last number, that's the router's subnet)
WAN IP Address: 192.168.1.2 (notice the 2nd last number, that's the modem's subnet)
WAN Gateway: 192.168.1.1 (modem's IP address)
Wireless radio: Enabled
DHCP Server: Enabled
Firewall: Enabled
Now this is not the most elegant setup but it works. Ideally, I would need my modem in bridge mode but I am unable to do that without the help from my ISP's technicians who are already difficult enough to get hold of when there is a problem so such a request would probably be at the bottom of the pile.

But basically, now I'm controlling my network with the router where I can make a guest wifi network with bandwidth control. Although, I do not use the functionality at the moment.

El_Goretto

Cager
All the tutorials I browsed suggest microtic or application like P2Pover
By microtic, I suppose you mean the wireless routers? I guess it would work but I think almost any router could do it. Of course you need to check first by either downloading the router's manual. TP-Link let's you browse a demo of all their devices' interface so you can check if the functionality is present. TP-Link devices are also reasonably priced.

Also, if you need to limit the bandwidth on the guest network because your guests are hogging your bandwidth preventing you from watching netflix for instance, there is a solution that might work but I have never used it: QoS (Quality of Service) to prioritize traffic to and from your device's IP address. So, say you have a mobile phone, you can take note of its IP address and then set up a QoS rule that prioritizes traffic to that IP address. I'm just unsure on how to configure it.

dafluff

Cager
The easiest solution is probably to get a second router, and have it on a second subnet (basically a separate network). Then that subnet has internet speed slowed down, and used only by guests.

jstar

Mr. 10,000
^ Ya, that's probably the easiest solution; get another very cheap router (or even extender) which can be connected by an ethernet cable to the modem/router and give all the visitors access to that 'Felicity_Gratis' network.

QoS and traffic controlling and traffic shaping are rather complicated to configure and I think only the more expensive routers as those from Cisco can support it.

vocalneal

Cager
How many guests? How long do they stay. Seems a bit off to offer free wifi then limit it.

Get a cheap internet connection and let them use that and keep yours for yourself.

I used to have two. One for the office personnel and one for me.

ukcouple

Charter Member
Cager
.... Ideally, I would need my modem in bridge mode but I am unable to do that without the help from my ISP's technicians ...

Why do you need ISP technicians.?

You can access the modem/router homepage via 192.168.1.1 with the administrative username and password (not the username and password), and make the necessary configuration changes there.

That's assuming you know the administrative username and password which you can google.

Last edited:

Euc-

Charter Member
Cager
That's the problem if the ISP provided the modem & router...
Why? I remember with both Biznet and indoGIG that they provided me with the username and password. That way you're free to change your password etc.

El_Goretto

Cager
Why do you need ISP technicians.?

You can access the modem/router homepage via 192.168.1.1 with the administrative username and password (not the username and password), and make the necessary configuration changes there.

That's assuming you know the administrative username and password which you can google.
Yes, as per my post, I am aware of this, since I describe how I'm able to set the local IP I want for the modem as well as turn off its firewall and dhcp server functions which you can only do with administrative access to the modem's configuration page.

However, to configure my modem into bridge mode I need the actual credentials to authenticate my modem to my ISP, and these credentials are not given to me. This is different from the modem's administrative credentials.

Bridge mode essentially lets me bypass the modem altogether and use my own router behind the modem to authenticate with my ISP, hence the reason why I need the technician to do this for me. There is no point in me calling the customer service for this information as they would not understand.

In bridge mode, the modem is only there for the physical connection to the fiber optic. All the routing is then done by my own router. No need for subnets and no double NAT going on.

Hope that clarifies it.

El_Goretto

Cager
Why? I remember with both Biznet and indoGIG that they provided me with the username and password. That way you're free to change your password etc.
Yes but I believe these credentials are simply to access the modem's configuration page. There is another set of credentials that authenticate your modem on the ISP's network, if not, anyone could dig up the fiber optic cable and hijack the connection.

I'm just surprised my ISP (MyRepublic) doesn't give those credentials. In France and in Australia, it's standard practice.

Felicity

By microtic, I suppose you mean the wireless routers?
... there is a solution that might work but I have never used it: QoS (Quality of Service) ... I'm just unsure on how to configure it.
I'm aware on the modem settings there's QoS feature, but yeah I'm incompetent with this stuff :(

Maybe wireless router, I'm not sure, when I googled it showed soomething like this
img7146-1521183737.jpg
but when I watched the tutorial, it gets too complicated so I'd rather use easier stuff like an app?
I wonder why hasn't anyone here suggest that?
Do you think I can request Fiberhome technician to do the setting or whatever they can in this situation? I don't mind extra cost. If anyone has done that, please share.

vocalneal

Cager
How many guests are there?

Get a cheapie package from another supplier and let them use that?

El_Goretto

Cager
I'm aware on the modem settings there's QoS feature, but yeah I'm incompetent with this stuff :(
View attachment 1073

Maybe wireless router, I'm not sure, when I googled it showed soomething like this
View attachment 1072
but when I watched the tutorial, it gets too complicated so I'd rather use easier stuff like an app?
Do you think I can request Fiberhome technician to do the setting or whatever they can in this situation? I don't mind extra cost. If anyone has done that, please share.
I don't believe an app can take over your whole network. You'd have to install it on each device, hardly a good solution.

jstar

Mr. 10,000
Maybe wireless router, I'm not sure, when I googled it .......... but when I watched the tutorial, it gets too complicated so I'd rather use easier stuff like an app?
Do you think I can request Fiberhome technician to do the setting or whatever they can in this situation? I don't mind extra cost. If anyone has done that, pleas
The easiest thing there is:

It is also possible to have them connected wirelessly instead of via that cable.

There are two networks (so different SSiD's). You give them different passwords. So you wirelessly connect to Main router, alll the others to Secondary.

Price estimate: 150K cheap router + 20K for Kabel. Go to any ITC or Mangga Dua and they will help you...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sidavies59
Top Bottom