Have read all posts and differing answers

My fiancee visited the office of immigration in Lampung today and the officer said i could go there on my 30 day visa exempt because UK citizen. He then told her we get married first and he will help guide us through the spousal KITAS application and he will take care of all the letters for us. Comments ?

Last edited:
My fiancee visited the office of immigration in Lampung today and the officer said i could go there on my 30 day visa exempt because UK citizen. He then told her we get married first and he will help guide us through the spousal KITAS application and he will take care of all the letters for us. Comments ?

Probably some enterprising official, looking for some side income. Up to you whether to take him up on it...haha

Immigration in Bandar Lampung have been nothing but professional and always helpful. Never spent a single Rupiah for any services. Besides, only those that want to support corruption in Indonesia pay for government services that are normally free.

ma
Well all should be good in that respect, my fiancee tells me she is a bad Muslim and doesnt practice a lot of the beliefs, she does not wear hijab, and also does not participate in Ramadan, the only thing she doesnt eat is PORK!, I can live with that.
ny times, it is not what the wife practices as what the family practices. You are not getting just a wife in an Indonesian marriage, you are getting a family. Especially if they live in the same city.

ma

ny times, it is not what the wife practices as what the family practices. You are not getting just a wife in an Indonesian marriage, you are getting a family. Especially if they live in the same city.

We live an island away from my in laws , it worksout fine , I could see if you lived too close it could raise issues .

What implications ? Its just a boring paperchase , like many developing countries iv lived in, going all the way back to somalia 35 years ago ,boring then and now . a tiresome stream of foto copies .

Nostalgia time. " somalia 35 years ago." Ahh yes, Mogadishu. Now that was a fine city. Stayed at a hotel where you could watch the street scene below through the cracks around the Air Con. And a people who didn't believe in queuing for anything which added a certain excitement to almost everything. And Mogadishu airport. Ahh yes. A fine place indeed and all the recent bombings and destruction help maintain the character and style of that wonderful city.

Hi,

I only want to wish you the best of luck with all. Many people went through all that, including myself.

I didn't have to change religion, which is just another big paper war, since my fiance was also Christian. Still, the rest is also very tiring.

Anyway I know nothing can stop you and that is good. Just as some people said before do everything step by step and be patient. Lots of paperwork, I guess you noticed it already hahaha. Anyway in the end it is worth it. Iam married for 9 years now. So again, all the best for you.

Well all should be good in that respect, my fiancee tells me she is a bad Muslim and doesnt practice a lot of the beliefs, she does not wear hijab, and also does not participate in Ramadan, the only thing she doesnt eat is PORK!, I can live with that.
If your fiancee is a bad Muslim then why not ask her to convert to your religion? Ask and see what she says. Also keep in mind that technically if you become a Muslim and leave the religion. You become an apostate and can be killed in some countries. So my advice is not to convert for your fiancee's convenience.

Last edited:
If your fiancee is a bad Muslim then why not ask her to convert to your religion? Ask and see what she says. Also keep in mind that technically if you become a Muslim and leave the religion. You become an apostate and can be killed in some countries. So my advice is not to convert for your fiancee's convenience.
If both partners are not serious about religion ,what does it matter ,as long as they achieve the desired status ie married , it is all just boring paperwork and and should be shortcut where possible . Imho.
Life is too short for all this tedious Q standing ,photo copies ,expense etc etc ,Boring boring .

I believe if you are born a Muslim and leave thus labeled an Apostate you are killed (in some countries), but if you are a convert to Islam and Apostate, they are kind enough to give you a second chance to rejoin the club instead of killing you directly.

I believe if you are born a Muslim and leave thus labeled an Apostate you are killed (in some countries), but if you are a convert to Islam and Apostate, they are kind enough to give you a second chance to rejoin the club instead of killing you directly.
The on born into the religion may actually have more leniency since they didn't choose the religion technically. One that converts might be treated much more harshly since giving false testimony.

Here you would be a KTP Muslim. I doubt any other country would have a clue unless you broadcast it.

There are celebrities here in RI who already changed religion two or three times. Depending on who they (re)married.

There are celebrities here in RI who already changed religion two or three times. Depending on who they (re)married.
Didn't you notice yet that Indonesia is not a Islamic country. A majority of them are registered as Muslim, but most wouldn't pass a basic test of the religion nor do they follow it.

Didn't you notice yet that Indonesia is not a Islamic country. A majority of them are registered as Muslim, but most wouldn't pass a basic test of the religion nor do they follow it.

I don't agree. The previous two decades there has been an amazing pull towards a much more traditional (religious) society.

Things that were not an issue before have become big problems, censorship has been increased, laws were passed that put more and more scrutiny on society (esp. sexuality but also alcohol etc.), everything is blasphemous, dress code has changed considerably, etc. etc.

Walking the beat in almost any city or village in Indonesia is no different that any western metropolis. I observe drug use, the public display of sexually explicit images, hear how easy abortions are received, frequently get solicited by gay men at restaurants, see prostitutes coming and going from their massage parlors, eat at restaurants that serve halal food in addition to alcoholic drinks, and many businesses refuse to let Muslim woman wear modest clothing. I even sat next to a woman on a plane flight from Sumatra with her breasts on display for me while she force feed her kid that was obviously too old for such a thing.

The news that you hear that conservative values are on the rise is just Fake News to stir up the human rights mantra. +1 for the Trump new world order. ?

I don't hear things, @IndoTom . I live here, we undergo things.

All these examples you give are very superficial observations from an outsider. You can even easily find prostitutes, drugs or gays in Aceh. That doesn't mean the society didn't change.

I don't hear things, @IndoTom . I live here, we undergo things.

All these examples you give are very superficial observations from an outsider. You can even easily find prostitutes, drugs or gays in Aceh. That doesn't mean the society didn't change.
How do I get on the inside program? Is there a boy scout badge to earn or a boss to defeat to level up?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nightclubs
Back