Guardian: Indonesia's love affair with its dying natural disaster spokesman

dafluff

Cager
If you have ever read news article about a disaster in Indonesia, you will have read this man quoted. It could've even been here in these forums. As the national spokesperson of the BNPB (National Disaster Mitigation Agency), Sutopo had a really busy year, with several devastating earthquakes, a tsunami and a major plane accident just to name a few.

His self deprecating style, as well as his active social media made him popular with both the local and foreign press. He is even a bit of a celebrity.

Unfortunately at the relatively young age of 49 he has been diagnosed with Stage 4 lung cancer, despite not being a smoker. By all rights, he could've quit his job and rest for his remaining time, but that's not his style.

“Life isn’t determined by how long we live, but how useful we are to other people. That’s what I do. Although the doctors say that I don’t have so much time left, in my last days, I want to try to do good, to be useful. That’s so much better than having a long life but making people miserable!”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/nov/09/one-of-our-heroes-indonesias-love-affair-with-its-dying-natural-disaster-spokesman

El_Goretto

Cager
Wow, that's very commendable. It's a tough job with limited budget, I can imagine it's not always easy.

Wisnu

Charter Member
Sad news, finally,
He passed away. Good man, a true servant, tremendous loss to the country.

jstar

Mr. 10,000
Funny and knowledgeable. Didn't he go to China for medication and treatment?

Nimbus

Charter Member
Cager
And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
susanjohn1
Top Bottom