Greetings from the US

FireEye

Long story. Many of us (and all of the moderators) used to be members of a different expat in Indonesia forum. The owner of that place wasn’t taking great care of the forum, so technical issues began to pile up. When people openly protested, they got banned en masse, so they started this forum. This site is populated by pretty much the same set of folks, minus the old owner.
Thanks for sharing some historical aspect of this community. You guys must be so close in real life. Probably had some gatherings, look like most have been here for a long time. Some long milestones of existence here!

I did finally read the community guide page, I like the one encouraging members to be friendly to newbies. I assume this is due to the old forum? Not many were friendly to newbies and exclusive? Just a guess....

Nimbus

Charter Member
Cager
Thanks for sharing some historical aspect of this community. You guys must be so close in real life. Probably had some gatherings, look like most have been here for a long time. Some long milestones of existence here!

I did finally read the community guide page, I like the one encouraging members to be friendly to newbies. I assume this is due to the old forum? Not many were friendly to newbies and exclusive? Just a guess....
Newbies tend to be treated with suspicion around here. How many people move into Indonesia voluntarily? How many of them find this forum? We get tons of spammers, along with scammers, gold diggers, and drive-by pollsters.

Once it’s clear that you’re a real person with no hidden agenda, people will start playing nice.

FireEye

Newbies tend to be treated with suspicion around here. How many people move into Indonesia voluntarily? How many of them find this forum? We get tons of spammers, along with scammers, gold diggers, and drive-by pollsters.

Once it’s clear that you’re a real person with no hidden agenda, people will start playing nice.
Let’s see who moved to Indonesia voluntarily?...hmmm....perhaps only the vegan you-tubers? Lol ....no offense to vegans.

Gold diggers are easy to spot right? I mean clearly this isn’t a dating site.

You know what is weird, my family just got back from a 2 months of vacation in Indonesia. Each year we visited, we see less and less foreigners (except Bali tourist spots)
We saw Sascha Stevenson’s vlog abt the whole marriage certificate requirement, we just laughed.

snpark

Cager
Also when you've been here a long time and get asked the same questions every week by newbies too lazy to search first, it gets annoying

Visa / marriage questions especially when there are hundreds of case specific up to date posts regarding those. Pretty much every scenario is covered and updated but you still get people claiming "they cannot find it anywhere" so post again a new thread about VOA or how to get married

FireEye

Also when you've been here a long time and get asked the same questions every week by newbies too lazy to search first, it gets annoying

Visa / marriage questions especially when there are hundreds of case specific up to date posts regarding those. Pretty much every scenario is covered and updated but you still get people claiming "they cannot find it anywhere" so post again a new thread about VOA or how to get married
You’re saying you don’t like to spoon-feed babies? 😁

Maybe, just a thought, if there’s a documentation covering most frequent asked questions such as marriage, pinned it and make people read prior to asking these questions. I wish I’m a marriage and visa subject matter expert, I’d be more than happy to document this for you guys.

I’m honestly here to see the dynamic of the community. I feel that part of me is sharing this experience with many of you here who left your home country for work which include learning every aspects of life from zero and continuously gaining new part of endless learning curve.

So why dont you tell me abt your self @snpark 😊

El_Goretto

Cager
Yep visa related and immigration are not my area of interest. What’s STTF? And yes I did google prior to asking....lol
I assume STFF is variant of RTFM 😂

Anyway, welcome to the forum! Yes, we are open to anyone, we're not that special haha!

harryopal

Charter Member

As we move around the internet discovering new sites it would take forever if we first learned the intricacies of each new site before we committed a posting. Perhaps a large teaser along these lines might head off some of the same questions every week.
"BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION PLEASE USE THE SEARCH OPTION.
YOU MAY FIND ANSWERS TO YOUR QUESTIONS ABOUT VISAS, MARRIAGE, PROPERTY OWNERSHIP ARE DEALT WITH IN SOME DEPTH. "

Not that his would necessarily work. If I were going to an office to record an interview I would put a notice on the door outside. "Recorded interview in progress PLEASE DO NOT KNOCK." As often as not, people would knock first and then read the notice.

snpark

Cager
This forum does in fact already suggest to use the search function first before posting a question. I guess you also did not read that part.
It's under "guidelines" before you can join up

And most sensible people would look for the info before they enrol in a new forum? Who joins just to post without searching first. Likelihood is they searched on Google to get to the forum so why then not search the forum also?
Just laziness pure and simple

harryopal

Charter Member
Well, I am probably one of the hundreds of people who would jump on the train without seeing the sign that says: "Do not board. This train will explode in five minutes."

There was a Jewish woman wrote a book about survival explaining how she was in a long queue shuffling along towards the entrance to a concentration camp. I think she was about 13 at the time. Although there were guards up and down the line she simply stepped out of the queue and walked away.

(Can't write more.... I have go to and join the queue.)

FireEye

This forum does in fact already suggest to use the search function first before posting a question. I guess you also did not read that part.
It's under "guidelines" before you can join up

And most sensible people would look for the info before they enrol in a new forum? Who joins just to post without searching first. Likelihood is they searched on Google to get to the forum so why then not search the forum also?
Just laziness pure and simple
I think it is also due to the limitation of using a forum from UX perspective it’s very limited Most people see it as a boring repository, they will insist to dig in....but most people also just want to be welcomed and start a conversation associated with this group. I’m not disagreeing with you on the lazy part, unfortunately you’ll find them everywhere even on FB forum/group which has a friendlier mobile app.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chris Holloway
Top Bottom