Government to track student's and educator's social media account

dafluff

Cager
Minister of Research, Technology and Higher Education Mohamad Nasir has requested universities to register social media accounts of employees, teachers and students. This registration is ostensibly to prevent radicalism.

"What will be registered? Phone numbers, and social media accounts being used", said Nasir to reporters at his office in Jakarta on Friday (Jul 26, 2019).

According to Nasir, registration of phone numbers and social media accounts will make it easier for the university or authorities to trace someone's ideology.

Well, 1984 came only 35 years late to Indonesia it seems. Thankfully, like most of these ridiculous overreaching government ideas, it will probably be quickly forgotten. Follow through is just not a strong suit of Indonesia's government.

Still, that such an idea came from the person in charge of research, technology and higher education, is quite worrying.

I think the problem later will be “what are they going to do with all those radicals”, put them in boot camps? Obviously, the government is desperately concerned. Actually, all Indonesians should be concerned, this is their country. What will be the future of this country if almost one in four of the university population are radicalized or have joined radical organizations (ref: https://www.expatindo.org/community...e-is-a-possibility-20-30-years-from-now.4745/ ) ?

Anyway, what’s worse than social media account, how about public institutions giving away our call data (voice, camera, location) to private companies?

I think the problem later will be “what are they going to do with all those radicals”, put them in boot camps?
I recommend sending them to Bob Jones University in America. So all them "Radicals" can be together with other people of similar ideoligy. :sneaky:

On the REAL side, this idea sounds eerily similar to the social credit system in China. Can't all the cheap chinese cell phones already spy on their owners? So this registration step might be redundant.

Blah the government just being lazy again......any other government in this day and age just do all this stuff without the need to ask. /s

.... What will be the future of this country if almost one in four of the university population are radicalized or have joined radical organizations ...

Before you know it, the radicalized will be refusing to pay taxes and throwing tea crates into the harbor.

Last edited:
The list will be outdated days after they create it as every Indo I know creates new accounts and flips phone sim cards at the drop of a hat.

Minister of Research, Technology and Higher Education Mohamad Nasir has requested universities to register social media accounts of employees, teachers and students.

But as so often here, a minister gets in the news with a brain fart and when it's time to implement they realize it's too complicated or has unforeseen consequences and they retreat back in their shell.

On efficiency and freedom of speech and human rights I hope Jokowi will search his own conscience. His team has been extremely weak. I do hope most of the current ministers in the cabinet will never be heard of again. Blunder after blunder, re-engineering ideas that never materialize, scandals without taking responsibility, ...

That’s it.

Blunder after blunder, re-engineering ideas that never materialize, scandals without taking responsibility,

This is very much every Indonesian cabinet ever...

I doubt Jokowi has a lot of leeway in choosing ministers these days, but we'll see. I predict a very large number of "political appointees", precisely the types that make these silly ideas.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819
Back