getting married in java or europe

marie

Hi there. Long story short: me (from Austria) and my boyfriend (from Indonesia, muslim) want to marry and live together in germany. paperwork is killing me and I dont know where and how to do it, since a few complications came up.

initial plan: get a national visa to get married in germany. seems like we can’t do it because they dont accept my salary for a declaration of commitment. my family can’t help us with this one since they are living in austria.

an agent told us the following: get a national visa to get married in austria and then apply for a family reunion visa for germany. problem: declaration of commitment again (could ask my parents, but they are no big fan of this relationship). also, nobody knows how long it takes to get this family reunion visa. what is he supposed to do alone in austria for „a few weeks or months“ while im back in germany for work?

another idea: get married in indonesia and apply for a family reunion visa in germany. problem: im about to start a new job in germany and dont know when i will get some holiday to come back to indonesia. and to be honest i have no idea of the costs of preparing a wedding in indonesia.

right now it feels like a never ending story of fees, paperwork and emerging problems. im not giving up, but i am losing track. anyone has some advice? we just want to be together and start our own family but right now we are feeling quite desperate.

jstar

Mr. 10,000
Why start all over again and not continue the former discussion @marie ? What is the current status, what happened so far?

As said before:
  • In Europe, Germany and Belgium are some of the easier countries concerning getting married and obtaining permits for non-EU citizens. But I'm quite sure you can't easily 'combine' the D Visa with the marriage; then your only options are to wed before, or get the C Visa (=3 month Schengen visa) for your wedding in Europe. After which he would have to leave the EU. Also, for a D Visa you would need to live in that particular European country, arrange all administration as insurance, and prove your financial situation won't be a hindrance when you get him over.

Last edited:

jstar

Mr. 10,000
So there only seem two options left if you really want to marry NOW:

In Europe: Get your parents to be guarantors.
In Indonesia: Get over here and do a very fast KUA marriage (total cost including travel excl. party €1.200). You could do a ceremony later.

Perhaps the need not to convert and have them present at your marriage will convince your parents to sponsor you?

marie

Why start all over again and not continue the former discussion @marie ? What is the current status, what happened so far?

As said before:
  • In Europe, Germany and Belgium are some of the easier countries concerning getting married and obtaining permits for non-EU citizens. But I'm quite sure you can't easily 'combine' the D Visa with the marriage; then your only options are to wed before, or get the C Visa (=3 month Schengen visa) for your wedding in Europe. After which he would have to leave the EU. Also, for a D Visa you would need to live in that particular European country, arrange all administration as insurance, and prove your financial situation won't be a hindrance when you get him over.
We decided to get married in Germany (based on the information we got from the embassy) he got his passport and I returned to Europe.

Why not combine D visa and get married? I don’t know the exact English name but the visa we wanted to apply for is a „national visa for marriage“. That was the plan. The only problem is that we can’t prove the financial situation because Germany now says my salary is not enough (should be 2400 net) . Im moving to Germany today.

marie

So there only seem two options left if you really want to marry NOW:

In Europe: Get your parents to be guarantors.
In Indonesia: Get over here and do a very fast KUA marriage (total cost including travel excl. party €1.200). You could do a ceremony later.

Perhaps the need not to convert and have them present at your marriage will convince your parents to sponsor you?

getting married in Germany seems impossible right now, and in Austria nobody knows what will happen after the wedding. The embassy told me it could take a couple months for him to get the visa for Germany (after the wedding in Austria). Which means I would have to leave him alone and go back to Germany.
Yeah I think indonesia might be the best bet. 1200 only for getting all the paperwork done?

jstar

Mr. 10,000
getting married in Germany seems impossible right now, and in Austria nobody knows what will happen after the wedding. The embassy told me it could take a couple months for him to get the visa for Germany (after the wedding in Austria). Which means I would have to leave him alone and go back to Germany.
Yeah I think indonesia might be the best bet. 1200 only for getting all the paperwork done?

The paperwork is not expensive. You'll need some things like letter of no impediment, birth certificate, etc. And then often, depending on KUA (check up front) have those officially translated. If you can push back on the ceremony you can do it all relatively cheap.

jukung11

Cager
Since you are two different religions, there is also the Singapore marriage option. Some travel agencies run destination marriage packages for Indonesians to get married in Singapore. You seem to be fluent in English, so the paperwork can be in English too. The bureaucracy is more consistent. I believe the fees are cheaper too.

. The only problem is that we can’t prove the financial situation because Germany now says my salary is not enough (should be 2400 net) .

Isn't this going to be a problem regardless of if you are married or engaged? I thought family reunification visas also have a proof of funds requirement.

marie

Since you are two different religions, there is also the Singapore marriage option. Some travel agencies run destination marriage packages for Indonesians to get married in Singapore. You seem to be fluent in English, so the paperwork can be in English too. The bureaucracy is more consistent. I believe the fees are cheaper too.

Isn't this going to be a problem regardless of if you are married or engaged? I thought family reunification visas also have a proof of funds requirement.
The embassy told me we only need it for getting married in Germany. In case we get married in Indonesia and apply for the family reunion visa, we neither need the health insurance nor proof of funds.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Richard
Top Bottom