Frequently Asked Questions

El_Goretto

Cager

Why am I receiving so many email notifications?

After the transition, the notification preferences have been reset. Please review your contact preferences by clicking on your nickname in the navigation bar, then clicking on Contact Details.

Or click here to access the Contact Details page directly.

What are Trophies?

TBD

What are those little icons below each post / What are ratings?

TBD

Will the procedure for posting pictures be the same as VB Last?

Yes but there are now additional options available. Click here for more details.

What is a watched forum and how would that be different to a watched thread since we are only in one forum?

Watching a thread is like Subscribing to a thread in VB. It means that whenever someone replies, you will receive a notification.

Watching a forum is the same but at a forum level. But it doesn't mean the whole forum, it means one of the sub-forums such as: General Chat, Newbie Corner, In The News.

So if you were to watch the General Chat forum, you would get a notification every time someone posts a new thread/posts in there.

To subscribe to a forum, click on "Watch Forum" like so:

Screenshot_53.png

Then you will see a pop-up that lets you choose what you would like to be alerted about and how:

Screenshot_54.png

How to mark all posts as read?

Click on "Forums" and then click on "Mark Forums Read" in the navigation bar.

Where is the "Go Advanced" button when replying to a thread?

It is now called "More Options" and is in the same spot as where "Go Advanced" used to be.

What's the difference between New Posts, What's New and Recent Activity?

New Posts is located under Forums > New Posts (far right in the navigation bar). It will show only threads with posts you haven't read. Once you've read them, they will disappear from the "New Posts" screen until a new unread post is posted.

What's New is located under Forums > What's New also in the navigation bar, next to New Posts. It will show all latest threads in descending order of last post even the ones you have already read. Threads with unread posts will be bold, threads with no unread posts will be normal.

Recent Activity is located under Members > Recent Activity in the navigation bar. It shows the latest activity in descending order including new thread replies, new threads, new likes (from anyone to anyone), status updates and profile posts.

Where are the buttons to go to the next page in a thread with multiple pages of posts?

On vBulletin, they are on the top and bottom right of a thread. In XenForo, they are on top and bottom left.

In the New Post page, how do I get to the newest unread post in a given thread?

Click on any of these:

Screenshot_56.png

What are user mentions?

User mentions are a quick method to alert a user to a post. Exactly how it works on Twitter or Facebook. If you type in @+username, the mentioned user will receive an alert that their name was mentioned, and can quickly find the post that mentions their name.
For now, users are limited to 5 mentions per post.
Example: @El_Goretto, I updated the FAQ!

Where are Private Messages?

They are now called Conversations. Click here for more information.

I don't understand how to quote messages

The quoting function is far more advanced in Xenforo and quite simple when you've learned how it works. Click here for more information.

Last edited:

Felicity

Hi,
1. Where/how I could find "recent activity" even when I don't log in? I can only find "New Post"
2. There is appear as "Robots" on "Online Now", what is that mean, who are Robots? Just curious..

Davita

RIP
Charter Member
Hi, where/how I could find "recent activity" even when I don't log in? I can only find "New Post"

When I sign in I go to 'What's New' and all the recent posts are shown with the ones I haven't read accented in bold. Seems like 'New Post' is a misnomer to me.

Felicity

The Recent Activity appears like News Feed, it used to be able to accessed even without log in or sign in..
Is there any diference between log in and sign in..now I'm curious

Davita

RIP
Charter Member
The Recent Activity appears like News Feed, it used to be able to accessed even without log in or sign in..

I don't know Felicity...better wait for the guru.
I have all my forums as favorites so with 2 clicks I'm reading the page I want to be on.

dafluff

Cager
Hi,
1. Where/how I could find "recent activity" even when I don't log in? I can only find "New Post"
2. There is appear as "Robots" on "Online Now", what is that mean, who are Robots? Just curious..

1. Recent Activity is now called "What's New", should be right to "New Post". I will double check to see if this functionality can be enable for visitors (non-logged in people).
2. Robots are programs that search every link on the internet and write down what they find. Mostly this is used by the big search engines (Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc) so they can give search results.

El_Goretto

Cager

The difference between log in and sign up is this. If you already have an account (which you do), you use log in to to... log into your account. If you don't have an account, you use sign up to create one.

If you are logged in, you can click New Posts or What's new.

If you are not logged in, you can click Recent Posts but that only shows threads sorted by latest post date.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SwingNinja