Forum members, share your brilliance!

For sure I could do some Bali stuff, happy to share with some of the other Bali based members, perhaps Dafluff could do a young guys guide to Bali and I could do the Old Fart's version

I'd also like to know the myth and fact of foreign citizen retiring in Indonesia.. Hope anyone knowledgeable would like to start a thread on this subject. Thank you.

how about an intro thread, where each member can write a little (or a lot) about themselves, like a little bio. No replies or comments necessary, might just add a bit of humanness to each user, and take some of the nervousness away from new users?

It's great to give people that opportunity - they can do it in "Newbie's Nook." They can also personalize their profile if they want - I generally don't put much in mine, but it's an option.

Wow, that's an interesting offer, rabbit39! Thank you. I'll wait a few months until you've forgotten all about it, then start pestering you about it :)

Well I may have forgotten about it, but I will still have the excel pretty much ready anyway ;)

Although I just thought of something..... With PLN requiring people to lock in the maximum power you subscribe to, I can make an excel sheet that people put in the appliances they own and when they would use it throughout the day and calculate the maximum power they would need

how about an intro thread, where each member can write a little (or a lot) about themselves, like a little bio. No replies or comments necessary, might just add a bit of humanness to each user, and take some of the nervousness away from new users?
Something like that would be nice in a limited environment (like a private subforum), but since the forum is open to the entire internet, then sharing too much personally identifiable info is not necessarily a good idea.

For sure I could do some Bali stuff, happy to share with some of the other Bali based members, perhaps Dafluff could do a young guys guide to Bali and I could do the Old Fart's version

Haha...just saw this. I am tragically un hip....so any guide I write will be more like the old fart version...although now that i think about it I can write a guide of good food places the locals eat at.

Fantastic, dafluff!

BTW one thing we can do (not a high priority compared to some of the info we should share, but certainly fun) is restaurant reviews. People used to write those in the pre-Lexit days, but they would sink and get lost. With the system here, we can put them into a thread and put the thread in the directory, making it easier for readers to browse through.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. I just like food-related stuff, is all :)

I like this idea too, Puspa. Maybe a sub section for good places to shop (foods and drinks related - and not the usual supermarket places). Some suppliers do accommodate private buyers (eg. Anchor). There is also a place for good quality beef. Good cuts and reasonable prices - apparently most of their customers are from the Argentinian embassy.

And we don't need to limit it to Jakarta - the directory could have "dining in Jakarta" and "dining outside Jakarta" categories for starters.

Will there be a section for lodging if someone is going to visit a city and need a hotel recommendation? I have a few, but don't want to put them in the wrong area.

Will there be a section for lodging if someone is going to visit a city and need a hotel recommendation? I have a few, but don't want to put them in the wrong area.

They could certainly go in the Travel Channel. if something is added later as a sub whatever, I'm sure the mods will move all prevalent post.

I'm a bit tired and foggy at the moment, but it seems to me that restaurant and lodging recommendations could go in the same section.

Have you got a comparative list of ISPs (options, plans, prices) for Greater Jakarta, Bali?

Or even which SIM card to buy depending on location? XL or Telkomsel or one of each? And which "quota" to get best value from?

I wish you success in having members with the time and inclination to keep things up to date. Info on legislation, prices, dining, whatever gets stale fast and requires regular updating.

Does this site envisage having "sponsored content" in any form to help cover costs (or the time of its admins/owners)?

Have you got a comparative list of ISPs (options, plans, prices) for Greater Jakarta, Bali?

Nope, but the ISP info is a good suggestion. Something to add to the list of things we might put up!

You are right that info becomes dated - that's why I am putting statements like "this info written in July 2016" so visibly that it is impossible to miss, in text where such info is important. It will help us to notice whether something is old, and if we don't get it updated right away, at least readers will know exactly when the info is from.

On sponsored content - not a goal or priority at the moment, but we're trying to design things so that our options are open for the future. That's the beauty of The Cage, for example - it combines the virtues of having a restricted place where people can "let it all hang out" with an open forum that hopefully won't scare off cautious newbies or (should we ever decide to solicit them) sponsors/advertisers.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819