Forum members, share your brilliance!

Puspawarna

Cager
Our member list shows that we already have a fabulous brain trust regarding everything people need to know to settle in to life in Indonesia. This will swell as our membership grows.

The task we confront is how to make it easy for people to tap into that brain trust, without making members write out the same answers over and over. Collecting all our knowledge is an ongoing task that will never truly be finished, since we can always improve/update/expand no matter how much information we have.

The first step is to for members to write out useful information (which a number of people have already started doing – thank you for your enthusiasm). We will post stickies in various sections of the forum that provide an easy-to-use directory to the information that members have written about. (This is the beginning – the approach will be expanded later as needed.)

Right now, what we need from members is your useful knowledge, written out in clear language. Iif you are shy about your writing ability, don't be; I was a technical writer/editor until I retired, and can help you polish your writing.

My informal sense of the information that is demanded most often suggests we should begin by concentrating on the topics below. Other kinds of information are useful as well, and you should feel free to contribute on ANY subject – just be forewarned that if there is more information than I can deal with quickly, I'll prioritize these subjects:

• The legalities of working in Indonesia
  • Obtaining and renewing various kinds of stay visas
  • Choosing where to live in Jakarta (especially families)
  • Choosing schools
  • Legal issues for expat-Indonesian marriages

Some of the above topics are complex, and we need to take care to be as accurate as possible. I will make sure that all directories and threads are clearly dated and include appropriate disclaimers. It will take time to put together a large quantity of high quality information, but the beauty of the stickies-with-directories system is that it can be launched very quickly with whatever information is ready, and updated/expanded on an ongoing basis.

So I welcome you to start (or continue) writing! A few ground rules:

• If you make (or have already made) a post or a thread that is suitable for inclusion in a directory, tell me so I know it’s available. We’re gaining so many new posts every day that I might miss something. You can also send me material by PM if you have written something but don’t want to post it yet.
  • I may request permission to edit your material, or ask you to revise it. However, I’ll never edit your posted material without your approval of the changes (absent the need to quickly correct a typo or a clear-cut inaccuracy).
  • If you have useful knowledge, particularly related to tricky legal topics, but you don’t feel comfortable presenting yourself as an expert, consider writing up your personal experience as a step-by-step guide to how things have worked for you. For example, “How I got my SOSBUD renewed” or “How I converted so that I could marry my wife in Indonesia.”
  • This should go without saying, but let’s be very clear: under NO circumstances should you in any way plagiarize information, particularly from “Living In Indonesia: A Site for Expatriates.” Write from your own knowledge and research - which you can certainly access by reviewing your own posts on the message board that is associated with LII. But don’t rip LII off.

I’ll try to make progress with this monumental project as fast as I can, but please be patient. Now - get busy! Share your knowledge!

Last edited:

dafluff

Cager
I am writing an article right now on how to deal with Overstay, hopefully up later today.

Puspawarna

Cager
Fantastic, dafluff!

BTW one thing we can do (not a high priority compared to some of the info we should share, but certainly fun) is restaurant reviews. People used to write those in the pre-Lexit days, but they would sink and get lost. With the system here, we can put them into a thread and put the thread in the directory, making it easier for readers to browse through.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. I just like food-related stuff, is all :)

El_Goretto

Cager
Fantastic, dafluff!

BTW one thing we can do (not a high priority compared to some of the info we should share, but certainly fun) is restaurant reviews. People used to write those in the pre-Lexit days, but they would sink and get lost. With the system here, we can put them into a thread and put the thread in the directory, making it easier for readers to browse through.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. I just like food-related stuff, is all :)

Yeah, I'm not big on law stuff but when it comes to food, you can count on me! I'll post my favourite places up soon.

Puspawarna

Cager
Well, you're French. Don't they take your passport away if you don't love food?

Bad_azz

Charter Member
Cager
Currently working on a mixed marriage / getting married outside of Indonesia thread...
My input needs a lot of editing and is currently at 5500 words- so bear with me on that one :D

dafluff

Cager
Currently working on a mixed marriage / getting married outside of Indonesia thread...
My input needs a lot of editing and is currently at 5500 words- so bear with me on that one :D

Sweet mother....you know you don't get paid right? ;)

Bad_azz

Charter Member
Cager
Sweet mother....you know you don't get paid right? ;)
hahaha, I have brought my original copy over from the other place- but it was made over several months and several comments, so it needs jiggling about a bit.
But I do know we have lots of mixed marriage members here and lots who aren't yet- so I figure we needed to get something in that slot sharpish.

ChrisTex

Charter Member
Cager
I can add a few reviews I did on Trip Advisor for hotels and places to eat/drink. Good news is it is all Jakarta based.

Jaime C

Charter Member
Cager
Just be aware of the 10k character limit, per post.

Bad_azz

Charter Member
Cager
yeah JC I encountered that when I tried to list the free voa ports too - hence my lazy referral back to the embassy website for them :)

Puspawarna

Cager
I can add a few reviews I did on Trip Advisor for hotels and places to eat/drink. Good news is it is all Jakarta based.

And we don't need to limit it to Jakarta - the directory could have "dining in Jakarta" and "dining outside Jakarta" categories for starters.

Missnaughty

Charter Member
Cager
This is very good idea and would be useful for new comer. Are you going to set up special section like "things to do" Jakarta and outside Jakarta?

Puspawarna

Cager
If you mean, will we add another sub-forum to the list -- possibly, if there seems to be demand. We are trying to avoid "forum creep" and keep the separate sections down to a manageable number. However, the team here has the power to tweak things as needed, and is trying to be flexible, so it could happen.

Wherever it ultimately ends up in the organizational structure, there is definitely a need for information on things to do and it will be included in the system.

Missnaughty

Charter Member
Cager
I think "where to find" and "things to do" would be very useful to be put in one special section.. It is important especially for stay home trailing spouse with small kids to entertain and demanding husband (or wife) who wants "everything has to be like when we are back home" ... but this section must be free from ads and trolling. :D.. and one forum special for trolling would be fun.. hahaha...

Puspawarna

Cager
I think "where to find" and "things to do" would be very useful to be put in one special section.. It is important especially for stay home trailing spouse with small kids to entertain and demanding husband (or wife) who wants "everything has to be like when we are back home" ... but this section must be free from ads and trolling. :D.. and one forum special for trolling would be fun.. hahaha...

Yes, we have things organized now so that all commercial posts (except for housing) will be placed the Classified section, so they don't clutter up other sections of the forum.

rabbit_39

Charter Member
Cager
I'm just an engineer ma'am... Working in clean energy and electricity / power stuff. Used to be an automotive Engineer. And before that was a test Engineer for consumer electronics and computer equipment manufacturer.

Will contribute if I can. If anyone is looking to compare doing energy efficiency or renewable energy I can help calculate payback periods, etc.

Perhaps I can share some of Excel sheets and you guys can make it into a Web form that people can fill in and get the answers when they press "calculate"

Not sure how else I can specifically contribute.

Puspawarna

Cager
Wow, that's an interesting offer, rabbit39! Thank you. I'll wait a few months until you've forgotten all about it, then start pestering you about it :)

Sky Garden

Charter Member
Cager
how about an intro thread, where each member can write a little (or a lot) about themselves, like a little bio. No replies or comments necessary, might just add a bit of humanness to each user, and take some of the nervousness away from new users?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKTJ
Top Bottom