First KITAS/Visa Application Advice

m17tgw

Hey there Guys!

I'm new to this forum and this is my first post, I'm Marty 33 years old, I'm from England UK, and i work in Haulage and Logistics. My partner is an Indonesian citizen and we have been in a long distance relationship for almost 3 years, We have made the decision to be together long term and I'm planning to move from the UK to Indonesia on a permanent basis sometime in 2021.

During my last trip to Indonesia i met a friend of my girlfriend who runs his own Real Estate business in Java, and who personally told me he would be needing in the future a Foreign Marketing Consultant to manage and liaise with his expat clients overseas, he has stated that he's willing to sponsor me and has said the job will be mine.

This of course will be my first ever time working overseas, and will be a career change for me which I'm looking forward to trying out, I'm told that full training will be given and that a University degree is not required for the job role, but most of my research online is stating a Uni degree is required minimum usually for expats applying to work there, which i don't have

Can Expats find work in Indonesia without lots of qualifications/degrees to there name? I'm kind of worrying about it as i would like to work so i can provide for our future and we plan to get married in a few years time, but just wonder that my future with my angel could be in jeopardy of a government rejection and don't know what else to do, i'd appreciate any advice on this matter and would welcome your stories on how you came to work there.

thank you for reading

Best Wishes
Marty

snpark

Cager
You will find it extremely hard to find a job here and especially more so since Corona etc etc

On top of that if you have never travelled or lived or worked oversea it will be a huge culture shock
Plus the stress of a new relationship living together first time
Financially also it could be stressful as regardless what people say, her family COULD expect you to support them also

Add in the language barrier too

Finally not even sure what you could or would do as certain positions are legally available for expats and driver / transport logistics is not on that list.

Sorry just being realistic

Will_M

I imagine it would be very difficult to get a kitas in a job where you have zero qualifications and no experience.

If I remember correctly the application goes to both ministry of workforce and immigration. It will likely be rejected at this stage due to lack of experience (and/or qualifications).

I’m sure there are ways and means, marrying your partner would be the first logical step.

snpark

Cager
Also not sure that real estate is open for expats ?

m17tgw

Thanks for feedback appreciate it, I'll have no issues with the culture or the family pressuring me, my partner is very independent just like myself.

From what I know the company who want to employ me, I would be the first expat to work for them and wants an expat to handle that side of the work.I have work skills relating to what he wants me to do, just never went to university as I have worked full-time since I was 17.

Guess you could say I'm old school and should be able to work and live before I get married, as marrying her early just so I can stay there just doesn't seem morally right or fair, I just like to do things the right way .

scouser59

Charter Member
Cager
Also not sure that real estate is open for expats ?
In bali and jakarta there are expats with kitas , in real estate.

I have known a few ,no particular skills only relevant language .

R Cameron

Charter Member
Cager
In bali and jakarta there are expats with kitas , in real estate.

I have known a few ,no particular skills only relevant language .
Skills, experience, and degrees may not be required if they are an owner/director, but will be required to be an employee of a PT with an IMTA.

R Cameron

Charter Member
Cager
From what I know the company who want to employ me, I would be the first expat to work for them and wants an expat to handle that side of the work.
They may be surprised at how difficult and expensive this process is. First of all, something to confirm is what kind of company they are, PT, CV or lower. Only a PT, the largest kind of company in Indonesia, can hire a foreign worker. They will also need to pay 1200USD as part of your work permit, a few hundred USD per year for the visa, and likely a significant amount to an lawyer or agent to organize the whole process.

It would absolutely be cheaper and easier to live in Indonesia as a spouse, but you personal reasons are valid, and it does make working in Indonesia complicated as well.

m17tgw

They may be surprised at how difficult and expensive this process is. First of all, something to confirm is what kind of company they are, PT, CV or lower. Only a PT, the largest kind of company in Indonesia, can hire a foreign worker. They will also need to pay 1200USD as part of your work permit, a few hundred USD per year for the visa, and likely a significant amount to an lawyer or agent to organize the whole process.

It would absolutely be cheaper and easier to live in Indonesia as a spouse, but you personal reasons are valid, and it does make working in Indonesia complicated as well.
That is an option also but I guess my point is what is the point in living there as a couple only if I can't legally work or do anything to provide, I wouldn't be forced to, but I naturally would want to do something to contribute and not be a burden I never have lived that way

R Cameron

Charter Member
Cager
@m17tgw The issue of spousal work is the most common recurring topic on this forum. Without getting fully into the topic, the consensus is that you would be able to work online worry free for a non-Indonesian company with non-Indonesian clients, or work in a business owned by your wife. Different people would offer different advice about doing the latter discretely and behind the scenes, while others have had no problems being a very visible part of the business.

scouser59

Charter Member
Cager
Skills, experience, and degrees may not be required if they are an owner/director, but will be required to be an employee of a PT with an IMTA.
Many property companies in bali are foriegn owned pma , so they can and do hire foreigners ,obviously they have to sell to support their costs ,so their is a considerable pressure on the employee.

Helpful Herbert

Guess you could say I'm old school and should be able to work and live before I get married, as marrying her early just so I can stay there just doesn't seem morally right or fair, I just like to do things the right way .
One culture difference is that in Indonesia you get married first (no cohabiting together). I think it may even be illegal now to live together with someone you're not married to (or at least in many places it would be heavily frowned upon and neighbours might not accept it). What you describe as old school would be considered by Indonesians as the opposite. On the positive side being married to a local makes everything about life here so much easier.

I would also do a kind of due diligence on her family - to say that it is very likely that you will need to support them in some way is an understatement, unless they are rich/professionals. There is also the religion factor to consider.

m17tgw

Oh there's no issue on the family I know her family very well and they've accepted me with open arms and have always made me welcome, I'm not under any pressure at all to provide that's just something I want to do, IL happily visit on a 6 month social visa to learn the language and spend time together, but once a job is found I'd like to accept it and apply my kitas application later next year

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
veryambiguous
Top Bottom