firearms in Indonesia

bacondealer

hi gang, long time lurker first time poster.

I'm an avid firearms hobbiest and its something the Mrs and I enjoy together when living abroad. we're planning our return to indonesia and from what I've read it is possible for citizens to obtain a firearm license. has anyone seen how this works in practice? can my indonesian wife simply apply then we purchase an indonesian made handgun and rifle and be on our way? from what I've read if we obtain the right permit we can even concealed carry. curious to hear anyone's first or even secondhand experience.

snpark

Cager
Some other troll asked this few weeks back

Use the search function

Answer is "No"

HappyMan

Charter Member
Cager
You can legally purchase and use slingshots, blowguns, and bows. There is meant to be a draw weight limit on the bow, but I don't remember what it is. There might be hoop to jump through to increase that draw weight if you can suss out how you prove the bow is for training purposes.
(If anyone knows more about the bow regulations off the top of their head, I'd like to hear it, please.)

Get yourself a nice traditional longbow and learn to shoot like Legolas. Impress the ladies and terrify the squirrels.

snpark

Cager

Ruserious

many hobbiests legally conceal carry so it's not such an odd question or a troll as another poster rudely accused.

In very very few countries around the world and really there is only one where it is quite a common practice. Coincidentally that is the one with problems with mass shootings and lots of gun deaths. Im not one to preach having to convert fully to the local culture when you move to a country but this is one thing that should definitely be left behind.

Nimbus

Charter Member
Cager
There was a time (more than a decade ago) when legal ownership of firearms was doable. It wasn’t cheap, but it wasn’t impossible.

Today the regulations are rather strict, which in practical terms means you can’t get it without having a serious connection in the Polisi and/or a load of cash.

For starters civilian ownership is limited to certain jobs, like president directors, government ministers, government officials, board members, lawyers, and doctors. On top of various tests and paperwork, as a civilian you’re limited to 12 GA shotgun, 22LR rifle and small caliber pistols (.32, .25, and .22).

Even if you can somehow carry legally, I don’t recommend it. I carry every day in USA, but in Indonesia the risk outweighs the benefit. The chance of you becoming a victim of a life-threatening crime is extremely low. If you’re out walking in public you may encounter pick pockets, purse snatchers, and other petty criminals not worth shooting. Even cops in Indonesia today go the extra mile to minimize casualties by aiming for the legs. If you as a foreigner execute an Indonesian on the street in broad daylight, the legal hassle you’re gonna run into will make you wish that you never owned the damn mouse gun.

Having a black market gun is possible, but obviously it’s not wise.

Last edited:

snpark

Cager
There are also shooting clubs. My news feed is full of cewek rocking LV and a glock somewhere in Senayan

Nimbus

Charter Member
Cager
The oldest shooting range in Jakarta is in Senayan. Ironically the Lapangan Tembak is more famous for bakso than bullets.

Nimbus

Charter Member
Cager
I'm not sure whether I'm across all of this but shooting pigeons with bakso sounds like fun
That would be a waste of good bakso. Better shoot the birds with a pellet airgun, they’re decent when deep fried.

Fabius77

I heard some guys from abroad had some fun at the Senayan shooting range where they could fire Pindad rifles, IIRC even in full-auto mode.

Nimbus

Charter Member
Cager
Last I checked it was Rp 2.2 million for a pistol rent with 100 rounds. A submachinegun or a rifle would naturally cost more.

dafluff

Cager
There is a range in Bali too. The per-bullet cost is ridiculous, and if those prices were applied in the US, gun violence would be solved instantly.

bacondealer

In very very few countries around the world and really there is only one where it is quite a common practice. Coincidentally that is the one with problems with mass shootings and lots of gun deaths. Im not one to preach having to convert fully to the local culture when you move to a country but this is one thing that should definitely be left behind.
Yes, I think this image highlights precisely what the problem is.

Attachments

• 1606273098509.png
    1606273098509.png
    176.6 KB · Views: 36

bacondealer

I heard some guys from abroad had some fun at the Senayan shooting range where they could fire Pindad rifles, IIRC even in full-auto mode.
I was looking at Pindad hardware recently and see they produce some decent stuff. Looking forward to giving them a try so thanks for the tip.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anie
Top Bottom