Fair and peaceful campaigning?

I was hoping for a better performance from PSI, doesn't look like they will make the cut. Maybe in 2024...

I still think a clear standpoint on the LGBT case might have pushed them over the threshold. But perhaps it has just been (seen as) a springboard for the next generation politicians?

As @Dave70 alluded to, the question is whether this report is real. And what would have happened if it would have published months earlier and by local journalists instead.

Quite some unhappy candidates who did not get elected, even with their generous 'contributions' during the campaigning.

There are some nice examples on Sulawesi Utara (Golkar). But also in other places there have been negative reactions. Now the speech of Ahmad Hattari from Nasdem, who was angry since his gift of new carpets for the local mosque did not get rewarded with him being elected, was not well received by the people from Tidore:

It seems they threw the carpets in his front yard.

That article is interesting. Imagine if he had indeed won and then started off by arresting all the leaders of the Islamist troublemaker groups. Something Jokowi is too weak to do.

That article is interesting. Imagine if he had indeed won and then started off by arresting all the leaders of the Islamist troublemaker groups. Something Jokowi is too weak to do.

With the support of uncle Sam, his FIL did good job with PKI and innocent people accused as communist.
Hundreds thousands, could be millions people vanished. Their blood probably fertilized our garden 5 decades ago. Many of their descendants are still suffering until now.

If this happens again, I'm not surprised if Indonesia no longer exist in 2030 as he predicted

As the two previous reactions show, there are two sides of the medal with a totalitarian regime. Look at what's happening in the Philippines now...

Pasal tersebut berbunyi, 'barang siapa, dengan menyiarkan berita atau pemberitahuan bohong, dengan sengaja menerbitkan keonaran dikalangan rakyat, dihukum dengan hukuman penjara setinggi-tingginya sepuluh tahun.

That is the reference to article 14 of the UU Number 1 of 1946 by a communication expert from the University of Indonesia, Ade Armando.

He states in some articles that Prabowo communicating he has won with 62%, based on a real count in thousands of voting stations, is in fact misleading the masses and creating chaos in society. Punishable with a ten year prison term.

We are still not out of this. On the contrary, what will happen in May when all these people hear the real results?

As the two previous reactions show, there are two sides of the medal with a totalitarian regime. Look at what's happening in the Philippines now...
I prefer to look what had happened in Indonesia, what he and his FIL did.
Simply, will not toss this medal.

Quite some unhappy candidates who did not get elected, even with their generous 'contributions' during the campaigning.

There are some nice examples on Sulawesi Utara (Golkar). But also in other places there have been negative reactions. Now the speech of Ahmad Hattari from Nasdem, who was angry since his gift of new carpets for the local mosque did not get rewarded with him being elected, was not well received by the people from Tidore:

It seems they threw the carpets in his front yard.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I lost it when I saw people dragging the carpet out. Ahmad Hattari donated it to a neighboring village, and he said some less-than-nice things to the Friday congregation at the mosque because only 700 people voted for him. They tried to bring the carpet to his house, but were stopped by people from Ahmad's village. Stones were thrown in the exchange, but thankfully nobody was hurt.

I can hardly believe it, he should have known better than saying crap on hallowed ground. This is the kind of stuff you get lynched for.

I lost it when I saw people dragging the carpet out. Ahmad Hattari donated it to a neighboring village, and he said some less-than-nice things to the Friday congregation at the mosque because only 700 people voted for him. They tried to bring the carpet to his house, but were stopped by people from Ahmad's village. Stones were thrown in the exchange, but thankfully nobody was hurt.

I can hardly believe it, he should have known better than saying crap on hallowed ground. This is the kind of stuff you get lynched for.

A political campaign in Indonesia is almost always self funded, so the guy's frustration was understandable...

Someone told me once that even for the city level DPRD seat, they can spend upward of Rp 500jt. It goes higher exponentially from there. Many candidates dip deeply into their personal funds and/or sell assets to fund campaigns. Sandi spent around Rp 1.5T of his own money. Prabowo's brother funded his 2014 run, but this time was smart enough to led someone else foot the bill.

Losing candidates often fall into depression or other mental maladies, and there are even some facilities that cater to their mental health:

From the article:

Every political year, Padepokan Anti Galau opens special service for depressed candidates. At least 4 of them have already visited this year. They are depressed because they can't accept defeat, meanwhile they have spend a lot of capital in order to become legislators, says Ustaz Ujang Bustomi, the leader of the facility.

Last edited:
I lost it when I saw people dragging the carpet out....I can hardly believe it, he should have known better than saying crap on hallowed ground. This is the kind of stuff you get lynched for....

I guess you have to be a clueless white guy complaining about the call to prayer to incite a lynching.

A political campaign in Indonesia is almost always self funded, so the guy's frustration was understandable...

Someone told me once that even for the city level DPRD seat, they can spend upward of Rp 500jt. It goes higher exponentially from there. Many candidates dip deeply into their personal funds and/or sell assets to fund campaigns. Sandi spent around Rp 1.5T of his own money. Prabowo's brother funded his 2014 run, but this time was smart enough to led someone else foot the bill.

Losing candidates often fall into depression or other mental maladies, and there are even some facilities that cater to their mental health:

From the article:

Every political year, Padepokan Anti Galau opens special service for depressed candidates. At least 4 of them have already visited this year. They are depressed because they can't accept defeat, meanwhile they have spend a lot of capital in order to become legislators, says Ustaz Ujang Bustomi, the leader of the facility.
It is also understandable to be frustrated by super loud mosque speakers, but everybody knows it's not something you publicly gripe against.

Anyway, the reason corruption is not going away anytime soon is because every candidate is under pressure to gain a return on their 'investment'. If you spend $100K to be elected, you'd look for government projects that can get you that much money back.

In America when you become rich you want to be a politician, In Indonesia you want to be a politician to become rich.

Yeah, that's why all these people are so p!ssed off; they're gonna miss out on the flesh-pots of Egypt.

Some committees are more profitable than others btw.

Anyhow, approx. 80% of the eligible people have voted, that is 153 million people. That is a rather high amount.

So 62% of that is...

Ah, the latest rumor is that Fadli Zon would have lost a lot of votes. ?

The latest buzz words are "people power". Which is nothing more than misinform the people, make them go on the streets and have them demonstrate and create total chaos. That way the opponent will (hopefully) be forced to step down or we can invalidate the -sure as hell negative- voting results. Sad.

The latest buzz words are "people power". Which is nothing more than misinform the people, make them go on the streets and have them demonstrate and create total chaos. That way the opponent will (hopefully) be forced to step down or we can invalidate the -sure as hell negative- voting results. Sad.
The frustrating part is that the people of Indonesia already literally used their power on 17 April... to reelect Jokowi, and yet (at least part of) the 02 camp still wants to use (angry) "people power" to ensure that the results are overturned.

Clinton won the popular vote, but look who is President; Jokowi won the popular vote, but look who is . . . . . . Oh never mind.

Clinton won the popular vote, but look who is President; Jokowi won the popular vote, but look who is . . . . . . Oh never mind.
The difference is that winning the popular vote in America is like scoring the most runs in the World Series... The total number of games won is how the world series is determined; not the number of runs scored (if you win Game 1 by a score of 20-0, but then lose Games 2 - 5 by one scores of 0 - 1, you have scored the most overall runs but lost the series. Likewise, the popular vote has never been relevant in US Presidential elections; the number of electors is key.

REPUBLIK KERTANEGARA

Jl. Kertanegara No.4, RT.6/RW.1, Selong, Kby. Baru, Kota Jakarta Selatan, Daerah Khusus Ibukota Jakarta 12110, Indonesia

https://g.co/kgs/P51z1b

The difference is that winning the popular vote in America is like scoring the most runs in the World Series... The total number of games won is how the world series is determined; not the number of runs scored (if you win Game 1 by a score of 20-0, but then lose Games 2 - 5 by one scores of 0 - 1, you have scored the most overall runs but lost the series. Likewise, the popular vote has never been relevant in US Presidential elections; the number of electors is key.

My comment (Clinton won the popular vote, but look who is President; Jokowi won the popular vote, but look who is . . . . . . Oh never mind.) was made in jest, but thanks for the scholarly, as well as completely unnecessary, analogy. Perhaps you would care now to explain the Indonesian election process to Indonesians?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maria clara