Expired US driver's License

Daniel Gomez

My US driving license is expired for over 6 months. I have a ITAS because my wife is Indonesian. Can I get an International driving license ?

If I can, how long does it take?

I'm not into bribing.

The police asked for 2 million. I asked him if I can have a translator for my test. He said no.

R Cameron

Charter Member
Cager
An International Driving Permit is issued in your home country and is only valid as long as the license in your home country is valid. so you're out of luck there.

It seems you need to pursue local getting an Indonesia SIM. The proper cost should be far below 2 million, and that's unfortunate they seem unwilling to help with an english version or with a translator. Here is a lot more detail: https://www.expatindo.org/indonesian-drivers-license/

jstar

Mr. 10,000
Doesn't the possibility for extension after expiration depend on the US state? I remember a grace period of one year before having to do any test and in Texas it was even longer. If you can do it by mail and still have a US address, that could be a solution*.

* Temporary since if you live here (longer than a year) you need a local license anyway.

ChrisTex

Charter Member
Cager
Did you renew your license online or in person last time? If you did it in person, you can just renew it online and then have family or friends mail it over via fed ex.

Minuteman

Charter Member
Cager
It is easy to get an Indonesian license. Why not get one. You can use it in the states so long as you can show Indonesian residency.

IndoTom

Because of the COVID-19 issues I was able to renew my drivers license by mail. Normally I would need to visit the office in my old state of residence to renew it. You should check if you can do that as well. I used a Mailbox service so the new license was sent to a US address and then forwarded to me in Indonesia.

vocalneal

Cager
An International Driving Permit is issued in your home country and is only valid as long as the license in your home country is valid. so you're out of luck there.
I believe if you look, an IDP is only valid for 1 year?

William King

Charter Member
Cager
I believe if you look, an IDP is only valid for 1 year?
Does it depend on the issuing country? I also know/was told that driving on an IDP is only valid for the first 3 months if you are resident in Indonesia.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m17tgw
Top Bottom