Expired Passport - Valid KITAP

lifelongexpat

Cager
I know someone who's been here around 15 years. Married to a local lady and a KITAP holder. The issue is, his passport expired 7 months ago.

I'm assuming this is going to come and bite him in the backside sooner rather than later. However, he seems to think as long as his KITAP is valid he's fine.

Anyway, his wife has asked me to see what the implications could be. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Ermmm...this is not a good situation. You are supposed to keep both Passport and KITAP valid. He should look into renewing his passport ASAP.

Thanks dafluff. I had a feeling it was hardly an ideal situation but was looking to have it verified by the more experienced members.

Any idea if there could be any repercussions?

Of course nobody in RI would notice until he travels abroad or has to report at Immigration or renew his MERP.

And for the home country, an expired passport is practically never an issue. In the worst scenario, if he suddenly needs to travel home for an emergency, most embassies/consulates can provide a 'laissez passer' or emergency passport.

Thanks jstar. He's British and I know the Embassy does issue emergency passports. Just looking to find out if anything nasty could come of it as his wife is worried about fines/deportation etc.

It's not ideal but since he is staying here legally it's not such a big deal as he can renew his passport internally without leaving Indonesia and then once the new one arrives he travels with both, showing his kitap and entry stamp. Likewise on re-entry he just shows his current valid kitap and his new passport.

Legally he is fine since his kitap still valid but would suggest he urgently renew his expired passport

But yes in case of an emergency he can get a re-use passport to fly to home country

Or he could "lose" it and pretend he can't find it and hence didn't realise it was expired. But then you need a police letter to renew

Better to just apply for a new replacement one since the old one expired. That's the point.

But technically he hasn't done anything wrong per-se

Apart from being stupid to let it expire knowingly

Or he could "lose" it and pretend he can't find it and hence didn't realise it was expired

If he does that then he will also have to redo the merp and change the kitap to the new one rather than just carrying both. It would be a major extra pain.

With the various document requirements I wonder if presenting both passports would show a period without a passport which I imagine is some kind of offence . By slipping up on the renewal this person has found himself with a lot onerous toing and froing to have all the required official paperwork.

Not really. As other people have found out they usually accept a new passport with the kitap in the previous one. No one will be looking for or care about the passport expiry date of the old one and the "start" of the new one. Anyway UK passports are valid for 10years and 6 months if you look at the expiry date.

Ideally yes transfer merp etc asap but since it's annual just do it all together

Personally I don't see it being a huge problem.

Since it expired 7 months ago doesn't seem to be a huge problem or frequent traveller

Suggest he get a new passport asap though and update everything. Just to be safe.

In the UU 6/2011 it is stated one can not get an ITAP without a valid passport.

{Izin Tinggal Tetap sebagaimana dimaksud pada ayat (1) tidak diberikan kepada Orang Asing yang tidak memiliki paspor kebangsaan.}

Of course we would explain that granting of the permit as to 'to give' but I wouldn't be surprised if by officials here this would be interpreted as 'to have'.

Yes obviously he needs to renew his passport before he can renew his kitap etc

Of course we would explain that granting of the permit as to 'to give' but I wouldn't be surprised if by officials here this would be interpreted as 'to have'.
Yes obviously he needs to renew his passport before he can renew his kitap etc

I was more thinking about how officials would think if they see that the end and start date of two passports would not match. (I would not expect them to notice it but just for argument's sake.) Wouldn't they interpret the law as the KITAP being invalid?

was more thinking about how officials would think if they see that the end and start date of two passports would not match. (I would not expect them to notice it but just for argument's sake.) Wouldn't they interpret the law as the KITAP being invalid?

This was one of my initial concerns. Officials potentially seeing a massive gap between passport dates and kicking up a fuss.

I don't see it as a problem really. Since passport expiry is more of a domestic issue that occurred while he was legally inside Indonesia. And in reality if he had lost it and it expired before he realised but he still got a new one then technically no law broken? Any number of reasons for the dates to differ. Even kitap taking long time to process etc etc ?

I know someone who's been here around 15 years. Married to a local lady and a KITAP holder. The issue is, his passport expired 7 months ago.

I'm assuming this is going to come and bite him in the backside sooner rather than later. However, he seems to think as long as his KITAP is valid he's fine.

Anyway, his wife has asked me to see what the implications could be. Any feedback would be appreciated.
This is happening to me all the time, and it's really not a difficult thing to handle.
First he needs to renew his passport, which can be attached to the old one where the valid KITAP is.
Second he needs to go to imigrasi with both passports to ask for the transfer of the Kitap from old to new passport. There are so many complicated things here, but this is really an easy one !

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nightclubs
Back