expatindo.org website

Zavia

Charter Member
Cager
So... are we planning to do it up like other websites or maybe a wiki?

Hows the progress, do you need help, is there a gantt chart etc etc.

So... are we planning to do it up like other websites or maybe a wiki?

Hows the progress, do you need help, is there a gantt chart etc etc.

Haha...thanks for noticing and offering to help. Yeah, there are plans, no there is no gantt chart, we are just kinda dragging our feet and trying to find some time to work on it. Eventually the vision will be of having a collection of factual articles that people can refer to instead of asking similar questions over and over, along with a more dynamic section where we can have lifestyle or current event type articles such as restaurant reviews etc. Right now we are just collecting some articles so that we can open with about 20-30 of them.

I didnt expect just one reply on this topic. :S

Why not put up the drafts for the community to proofread and discuss about, increasing the quality n accuracy?

Make a sub forum for it, and individual threads for individual pages/topics of sorts. So when something changes anyone who knows early can post in the thread, maybe suggest the rephrasing and recitation, then the webmaster can update it in a timely fashion with the change log.

Like example:
How to Apply for Kitas without Agents

Step 1 - What you need

• get document a+b+c+d+e+f+g ready
  • 4 selfies with pink background
  • Lots of time
Step 2 - Where to go
  • go to abc building at jalan macet 33A
... etc etc
Then lets say it changed required document d to document f, so someone posts the relevant memo, admin/mod changes the first post, webmaster reconfirms it and changes website page.

Sorry Zavia, we have all been very busy lately. This whole Expat Indo thing was not planned at all (unlike some of our detractors are claiming) and kinda fell on us out of the blue. While we were able to push the forum part out the door quickly because it was the most urgent, the companion site is still in progress. So the reason you only got one reply on the topic is because nothing's happened with it since you asked.
:redface:

For your information, we have already done is set up a staging website where we are working on the layout, structure and graphics, while in parallel we are working on some articles, like Dafluff mentioned. None of us are 100% expert at this, so we are improvising a lot and learning as we go.

As to sending the drafts to the community first, I think this will be too difficult to coordinate and manage. We already have a difficult enough time coordinating among ourselves haha!

Nothing's set in stone, and this is me talking without consulting with the other mods, but the way it's probably gonna go is that we will write some articles that will be published on the companion site along with a new announcement thread/post here on the forum. Members will be able to make their comments for amends here on the forum if they wish to.

We will also feature interesting threads/posts from the forum on the companion site with the permission of the respective authors.

This is all very nebulous at this stage so don't take my word as gospel.

Just in case you haven't run across it, this self hosted, open source Wiki software seems really good. https://www.dokuwiki.org

The best part being that you don't need to install and maintain a database, the data is just stored in text files.

So the reason you only got one reply on the topic is because nothing's happened with it since you asked.
:redface:
I appreciate the candor, nothing to be ashamed of for volunteer work.
I wasnt so much asking for progress reports, but more like what u guys have planned. Good to know whats happening n all that.

Don't give up hope on the gospel of El_Goretto, ur not dead yet. :D

Why not put up the drafts for the community to proofread and discuss about, increasing the quality n accuracy?

Something like that is already in place, after a fashion. You may have noticed that we have already solicited content from members that can be used as reference material. There is already a mechanism to keep this info readily available within this forum, for example here.

Over time we will continue to add to these stickied directories of information; we expect them to be a helpful resource for the companion website. I haven't vetted/added any new items in a few weeks, but that's because I've been preoccupied with a lot of other real-life tasks. I expect to identify and add a lot more material as time goes by and we build up a larger collection of crowd-sourced info.

Anyway, if you (and everyone else reading this!) are eager to contribute, by all means, post useful information in this forum, as a number of posters (bad_azz and fastpitch17, for example) have already done. (Just be sure, of course, that you verify the correctness of anything you write and offer citations/links whenever possible, along with dates that reflect when your material was current.)

If you see something that should be stickied that hasn't been, feel free to point it out to me. I may not get to it immediately, but I will make a note of material that should be addressed.

Here's a question for El G and the other originators of this site - has there been any kickback from the other site owners and or its members ?? Threats spiteful comments etc.

Here's a question for El G and the other originators of this site - has there been any kickback from the other site owners and or its members ?? Threats spiteful comments etc.

Apart from some trolls spreading disinformation over there with the approval of its owner, no, nothing that we know of.

Apart from some trolls spreading disinformation over there with the approval of its owner, no, nothing that we know of.
In fact I would even say that we should be thankful to both the owner and the troll. They have greatly helped us to make our point and justify the creation of Expat Indo Forum.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stats
Back