Expat English teacher: Legally work for two different schools?

Amethyst

Hello all,
Recently I was offered two job opportunities for teaching English— one at a university and one at a tutoring center. I’m interested in working part-time in both places, but I’m not sure if it’s legal or not. Both places also want to ensure that I’m working legally and would not accept under-the-table work. Online, I’ve found that expats in certain professions are now legally allowed to work for two organizations as long as the job title is the same. Is this true? Does anyone have information as to whether this new law applies to expat English teachers? Thank you

Hello all,
Recently I was offered two job opportunities for teaching English— one at a university and one at a tutoring center. I’m interested in working part-time in both places, but I’m not sure if it’s legal or not. Both places also want to ensure that I’m working legally and would not accept under-the-table work. Online, I’ve found that expats in certain professions are now legally allowed to work for two organizations as long as the job title is the same. Is this true? Does anyone have information as to whether this new law applies to expat English teachers? Thank you

A company needs an IMTA to employ foreigners legally. The IMTA is attached to a specific company, for a specific person, and is not interchangeable.

As far as I know I have not heard a case where an IMTA is issued to 2 different companies, for the same person. Also I'm pretty sure it is not issued for part time work, but there may be exceptions to that.

No you can't and I wouldn't even try to do it. The penalties would be severe and it would be very easy for either school to find out

Also, I’m in Indonesia on a spouse kitas at this time.

My first answer, was no, absolutely not. (for the reasons of an IMTA only being issued for one company for full time work only.

But I understand if you are on a spouse KITAS, then perhaps you can work as you do not need an IMTA. Mind you, most schools I know do not know how to process then and may refuse or complain it's too difficult.

I also do not know of a single person who on a spouse visa who has secured work in a school as such, so therefore, being a test case in court may not be my idea of good fun...

That would only apply if you formally don’t work for a company, William. The moment they hire you, there will be a contract. So your first line of thought seems the right one.

Thanks for the feedback. If I worked informally at one place (coming in to teach a few times a week as a private contractor, for example) is that legal on a spouse visa? Or would that require an IMTA?

Thanks for the feedback. If I worked informally at one place (coming in to teach a few times a week as a private contractor, for example) is that legal on a spouse visa? Or would that require an IMTA?
To my knowledge there is no such arrangement available for teaching informally or as private contractor, unless somehow you run a teaching school. In my experience teaching informally means teaching without a work permit. Definately a no-no!

Can't be done with teaching.
I know several teachers working on a spouse visa with an IMTA and it is straightforward for schools to process online, as long as the correct credentials are all in place and they have some form of insurance (can be health or life)
I know a few Mandarin teachers on spouse visas that were working through an agent and part-time at a school. They thought it was ok because they were not officially contracted by the school. They were caught by immigration, the agent was fined (150mil I think) and they were told that the school must process an IMTA for them to work there.

Also it is important to understand the IMTA processing usually requires a degree in a related subject, teaching credentials and 5 years experience in the same position. I believe for teaching it needs to be at the same level, so a teacher with only primary experience can't work in a university.

Last edited:
Also it is important to understand the IMTA processing usually requires a degree in a related subject, teaching credentials and 5 years experience in the same position. I believe for teaching it needs to be at the same level, so a teacher with only primary experience can't work in a university.

Correct, though it is always, not usually.

Primary teachers must have a B.Ed or equivalent. (plus 5 years teaching experience) and be of the ages 26-58

Secondary teachers must have a degree in the subject to be taught, plus a teaching qualification such as a M.Ed or a PGCE. and 5 years experience and be of the ages 26-58

The 5 years experience must be after the teaching qualification, but does not have to be continuous.

The same position refers to how Indonesians break up their schooling.

TK - Kindergarten.
SD - Primary
SMP - Middle School
SMA - HIgh School
and I forget the classification for Higher Ed.

Each is considered different, so you need to be qualified and experienced for that level. Which makes it tricky if a teacher has 3 years experience high school and 3 years middle school, that will not count either!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819