EPO/ERP How-To Anyone?

washeudee

Hi guys.

Newbie here to the forum but I used to follow Atlantis and co at the old forum. Must admit great revamp/new forum, am very impressed and so happy to see mountains of info that is available to everyone.

Now I just wanted to ask if anyone has step-by-step instructions or experiences with how to do the EPO or ERP.

My story is a little bit funny but probably all not that uncommon. I’m on my 4th to 5th spouse sponsored KITAS and usually I just get the calo to organise everything for me because I can’t be bothered with all the paperwork, going back and forth to Kantor Imigrasi etc. I always thought the process to getting a KITAP was to do a KITAS 5 times but now from reading the forum I realise that’s not the case for spouses that have been married for over 2 years. Anyways that is another story for another time.

This time around however trying to extend my KITAS the lovely pejabat at Kantor Imigrasi Kelas II Bekasi said that it would not be possible because there are no more blank pages in my passport. No problem I’ll just get a new passport right? But the problem is I’m heading off with the wife and kids back to Perth for a whole month at the start of December so definitely won’t be able to pull off a new passport in time and process the KITAS extension.

Checked the return flights and would you believe it we come back 1 day after my current KITAS is due to expire (what luck!) So basically I won’t be able to lodge it in before the expired date unless I return earlier by myself but I don’t really see that as an option because my poor wife would have to deal with 2 small kids on the return leg by herself. Anyways new game plan. After reading how easy it actually is to organise your own VITAS/KITAS (thanks expatindo.org), I have taken inspiration and will give it a shot and save money.

Basically my questions are:

1. Does anyone have any step-by-step instructions or know how to organise an EPO/ERP?
2. Should I get an EPO done before I head back to Oz or organise and ERP whilst back in Oz? Am leaning more towards the EPO because I’m not sure how long and ERP would take to organise from overseas because I want to hit the ground running with my new VITAS/KITAS.
3. Also whilst I have your attention, is it actually possible to apply for VITAS from overseas? After reading the new way to do it online, I’m thinking why not?

My new game plan is looking more like:

1. Apply for EPO
2. Apply for new passport with priority when I get back to Oz.
3. When I have the passport, apply for VITAS if it is possible to do from overseas.
4. Get the VITAS and fly back to Indo to do the KITAS proses.
5. Once I have the KITAS probably try to convert to KITAP. Might wait a few month or a year to do so.

Sorry if I rambled on here guys just wanted to get some help or your thoughts.

Cheers guys

fastpitch17

Charter Member
Cager
Maybe you need to figure out your priorities and consider rescheduling or rearranging you travel plans. Just saying.

washeudee

Maybe you need to figure out your priorities and consider rescheduling or rearranging you travel plans. Just saying.
Thought about that mate. But we already bought promo tickets for us and the kids in advance so no refund no date changes there.

fastpitch17

Charter Member
Cager
Thought about that mate. But we already bought promo tickets for us and the kids in advance so no refund no date changes there.
Just like immigration. No refunds or date changes. The thing is, they expect you to be aware that you had no pages left in your PP and without pages, they will give you nothing. They also expect you to keep up to date on when things need to be done, at least started. You have no pages left but are traveling, expect airport problems when there is nowhere to put the stamps. Immigration really will not care if you have a change of travel plans but you may. I guess you could just start all over with a Sosbud visa and convert into a KITAS 1.

washeudee

Just like immigration. No refunds or date changes. The thing is, they expect you to be aware that you had no pages left in your PP and without pages, they will give you nothing. They also expect you to keep up to date on when things need to be done, at least started. You have no pages left but are traveling, expect airport problems when there is nowhere to put the stamps. Immigration really will not care if you have a change of travel plans but you may. I guess you could just start all over with a Sosbud visa and convert into a KITAS 1.
I do have pages to put stamps on its just I don’t have full clean pages, that is because different immigrations just like to skip through and put their stamps wherever they want. I obviously didn’t anticipate that they wouldn’t process the KITAS extension because of the full blank pages which is a bit of an old thing since they don’t stick KITAS on there anyway and its electronic now. I was hoping to get away with it one last time before I get a new passport.

Thanks for your advice. Do you have anything on how to do an EPO/ERP?

jstar

Mr. 10,000
Since your KITAS is (obviously) recent, the chances are the MERP is already included. Now that is automatic (but you still need to pay for it). Check the stamp in your passport. Your spouse (sponsor) can apply for the MERP, it takes 3 working days.

For the EPO, let your sponsor write a request letter, fill in a Perdim 27 (=form) if I remember correctly, and take more or less everything you used for the initial ITAS request. Normally you need to leave the country within 7 days so plan accordingly.

Do you have a SKTT? If not, it could create some issues.

NB: Thinking about it, having a SKTT could also complicate matters a bit. Officially you would be required to cancel and apply for a new one. If you don't, your ID would theoretically not be linked to your current KITAS anymore. If that would ever show and could have consequences, I don't know.

Is there really no fast track for a new passport? Many countries offer that (for an additional cost of course.)

Last edited:

dafluff

Cager
Basically my questions are:

1. Does anyone have any step-by-step instructions or know how to organise an EPO/ERP?
2. Should I get an EPO done before I head back to Oz or organise and ERP whilst back in Oz? Am leaning more towards the EPO because I’m not sure how long and ERP would take to organise from overseas because I want to hit the ground running with my new VITAS/KITAS.
3. Also whilst I have your attention, is it actually possible to apply for VITAS from overseas? After reading the new way to do it online, I’m thinking why not?
1. Concur with @jstar above. Make sure you are out of the country by the date the EPO says you should be.

2. Not sure what organize and ERP in OZ means here? You should have an exit reentry permit already included with your KITAS. This doesn't really matter since you will be out of the country until after your KITAS and ERP expires.

3. Yes, you absolutely can. It's basically the same online process, and for the VITAS sticker you choose an Indonesian embassy/consulate near you. However, I think trying to do it in one month may be pushing it too close, and leaves you no margin for error (Please note that most embassies/consulates will require you to be citizen or resident of the country you are applying from.)

jstar

Mr. 10,000
2. Not sure what organize and ERP in OZ means here?
On 2.: He probably read that somewhere on an agent's website that they can cancel the KITAS even when someone left the country without EPO and is abroad; they offer that service for which they state they need to apply for an ERP. (Hmm, ERP? While the person was able to leave the country?)

Last edited:

washeudee

Since your KITAS is (obviously) recent, the chances are the MERP is already included. Now that is automatic (but you still need to pay for it). Check the stamp in your passport. Your spouse (sponsor) can apply for the MERP, it takes 3 working days.

For the EPO, let your sponsor write a request letter, fill in a Perdim 27 (=form) if I remember correctly, and take more or less everything you used for the initial ITAS request. Normally you need to leave the country within 7 days so plan accordingly.

Do you have a SKTT? If not, it could create some issues.

NB: Thinking about it, having a SKTT could also complicate matters a bit. Officially you would be required to cancel and apply for a new one. If you don't, your ID would theoretically not be linked to your current KITAS anymore. If that would ever show and could have consequences, I don't know.

Is there really no fast track for a new passport? Many countries offer that (for an additional cost of course.)
Thanks Jstar I will get to work with that. As far as the SKTT is concerned, the last one expired in 2017, so I don't think I have a current one. Here's hoping that it won't be a problem.

There is a fast track but for Australia, it is only available in Australia and UK. The guy at the Embassy said he could issue me with an emergency passport but they wouldn't put a KITAS on that because it's only valid for 4 months and just designed to get someone out of the country.

washeudee

1. Concur with @jstar above. Make sure you are out of the country by the date the EPO says you should be.

2. Not sure what organize and ERP in OZ means here? You should have an exit reentry permit already included with your KITAS. This doesn't really matter since you will be out of the country until after your KITAS and ERP expires.

3. Yes, you absolutely can. It's basically the same online process, and for the VITAS sticker you choose an Indonesian embassy/consulate near you. However, I think trying to do it in one month may be pushing it too close, and leaves you no margin for error (Please note that most embassies/consulates will require you to be citizen or resident of the country you are applying from.)
1. Thanks dafluff. Will definitely be out of the country by then. Just wondering when exactly to apply for the EPO. Should I go in for it now and tell them the date or wait exactly a week before my flight.

2. Yes upon further research @jstar was right, I did read it off a couple of agents websites as a way to organise an ERP if I forgot to do the EPO before I left Indo. Now that I think about it, not really sure how that would work out exactly.

3. Glad to hear this. Do you really think a month is pushing it too close? I plan to get a replacement priority passport the next day when I arrive and it should take 2 business days. Then get the ball rolling from there. I thought that the VITAS online application would only take a few days or even less to approve, then if I get the telex sent it should be instant, go to the embassy - do their paperwork and pay and wait 5 days for the actual VITAS. Please tell me if I am over or underestimating these waiting times, interesting to know. If all else fails and I don't get it done on time, I guess I'll just head back on a tourist visa and do it from there.

What I am a little bit worried about is this thread - https://lapor.go.id/laporan/detil/mohon-penjelasan-terkait-kendala-penolakan-visa
Basically guy organised an EPO for his wife and then straight away applying for the VITAS but gets knocked back after he's paid the 100k. Not crash hot on the translation (got to ask the mrs) but think maybe it has something to do with his local immigration not submitting the EPO to HQ quickly and so it's not showing on their system and that's why his wife is getting knocked back on her VITAS application.
Would there be like a cooling off period or something where I would need to wait a bit or do you reckon just go for it?

washeudee

On 2.: He probably read that somewhere on an agent's website that they can cancel the KITAS even when someone left the country without EPO and is abroad; they offer that service for which they state they need to apply for an ERP. (Hmm, ERP? While the person was able to leave the country?)
yes @jstar my bad

washeudee

Update @jstar. After further research what I actually meant was ERP tidak kembali. Which I am still trying to wrap my head around. I think I understand that it will be processed when I am out of the country. But not sure what it means when I try to come back in on a tourist visa

jstar

Mr. 10,000
The last time I heard about "ERP tidak kembali" was approx. 7 years ago.

A person who left without canceling his KITAS, had it 'arranged' at a KBRI (Indonesian embassy/consulate abroad) and they used that nomenclature.

But in general they always force people to create an EPO in Indonesia. The whole thing would also be very weird (EPO= Exit Permit Only, ERP= Exit Re-entry Permit) since ERP and tidak kembali are mutually exclusive.

I had a look at Immigration Tangerang and they still use it. But if you look at their procedure, you realize it's in fact the process from an EPO:

jstar

Mr. 10,000
There are quite some issues with the new Immigration website, people are struggling to obtain the VITAS. So you might want to plan for enough time (and perhaps a KBRI visit) to make sure you will get it on time.

For the EPO it's the other way around; as close as possible to your departure date is better.

jstar

Mr. 10,000
What I am a little bit worried about is this thread - https://lapor.go.id/laporan/detil/mohon-penjelasan-terkait-kendala-penolakan-visa
Basically guy organised an EPO for his wife and then straight away applying for the VITAS but gets knocked back after he's paid the 100k. Not crash hot on the translation (got to ask the mrs) but think maybe it has something to do with his local immigration not submitting the EPO to HQ quickly and so it's not showing on their system and that's why his wife is getting knocked back on her VITAS application.
Yes, I think you're right; it seems the EPO was simply not processed in the system.

Could it be because his wife never left Indonesia? Perhaps he wanted to save the money for a trip and tried to apply for the VITAS within the 7 day period so she could stay.

dafluff

Cager
3. Glad to hear this. Do you really think a month is pushing it too close? I plan to get a replacement priority passport the next day when I arrive and it should take 2 business days. Then get the ball rolling from there. I thought that the VITAS online application would only take a few days or even less to approve, then if I get the telex sent it should be instant, go to the embassy - do their paperwork and pay and wait 5 days for the actual VITAS. Please tell me if I am over or underestimating these waiting times, interesting to know. If all else fails and I don't get it done on time, I guess I'll just head back on a tourist visa and do it from there.
Your timeline is really best case scenario in my opinion. There could be be rejections, resubmissions, computer problems etc.

MieTekTek

Just adding my 2 rupiah here, hopefully it helps.

1. I attached an image which is the list of documents that you need to supply to KanIM for the EPO plus template of the 2 letters that you need to prepare.

2. The EPO will take 3 working days to process.

3. And, this is important to get your timeline right. On collection of the EPO, you must leave the country within 3 days, collection date inclusive. Note, not 3 working days.

Means, if you collect on Friday, you must leave the country by Sunday.

Lastly, you're on your 5th KITAS, so likely this does not apply in your case. In my case, it does. Among the list of requirements, your spouse (in the case of spouse sponsorship) need to be registered for NPWP (revenue tax). Seems that it's a new addition as it wasn't a requirement when I did my address change in August. It ended up with me paying 135k rupiah for the allowance I gave my wife for household expenses. You're welcome, Kantor Pajak.

Hope this post is in time for you.

Caveat: This is accurate for Batam, as of today. KanIM in other area may have different requirements/practice.

Attachments

jstar

Mr. 10,000
Great. I guess the 3+3 days can be interpreted as the ‘within 7 days’ from other Immigration offices...

MieTekTek

Could be, I guess. The guy at KanIM Batam is very kind to arrange my collection date to fall on the 4th working day after I informed him of my intended departure date from Batam.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Martin41
Top Bottom