Eerie....

These are proof many Indonesians need to read more science journals so as to understand reality and the ridiculousness in believing such things exist.

Last edited:
Well if SBY got entangled in a black mist or something it must be true, after all he was the President so again it must be true

This morning our 14 year old told us that she knows several people who say that when Roosters crow, they're talking to angels..... who am I to disagree?

The glaring eyes are due to the flash used to take the picture, nothing unusual there.

The comments LOL...

There is also an issue, Elon Musk is funding a team of scientists to prove whether we live in a holographic universe or not . But apart from that the website above is not from Indonesian page, some random guy put random cameras for fun,in the forest, and some things were captured.

Must be the work of Big Foot or possibly Small Brain.

Here is a true Indonesian ghost story, a friend of mine took a young lady home, he had to go to the bathroom, as he opened the bathroom door, the bedroom door opened, with that the girl leapt out of bed shouting, Hantu, she opened the bedroom window almost jumping out, still shouting , Hantu, he hadn't been in indonesia long, so he had no idea what was going on, the girl would not be placated, so he called a Taxi and sent her home, after he told this story the next morning,another friend said he took his girl friend to Bali, during the flight the girl went to the toilet, when she came back she was absolutely terrified, it appears as she flushed the toilet and opened the door her hair stood on end, due to the toilet vacuum, again this girl would not have it was the toilet flush, but a Hantu,on the return trip she wouldn't go anywhere near the toilet, we had a laugh but it is odd the deep belief Indonesians have in ghosts

Make that some Indonesians, just like some members of most every cultural group.

It's my experience far more people in Indonesia are inclined to believe in ghosts than in other parts of the world. Perhaps it stems from their faith.

Jinn (Arabic: الجن‎‎, al-jinn), also romanized as djinn or anglicized as genies (with the more broad meaning of demons),[SUP][1][/SUP] are supernatural creatures in early Arabian and later Islamic mythology and theology. An individual member of the jinn is known as a jinni, djinni, or genie (الجني, al-jinnī). They are mentioned frequently in the Quran (the 72nd sura is titled Sūrat al-Jinn) and other Islamic texts. The Quran says that the jinn were created from a smokeless and "scorching fire",[SUP][2][/SUP] but are also physical in nature, being able to interact in a tactile manner with people and objects and likewise be acted upon. The jinn, humans, and angels make up the three known sapient creations of God. Like human beings, the jinn can be good, evil, or neutrally benevolent and hence have free will like humans.[SUP][3][/SUP] The shaytan jinn are akin to demons in Christian tradition and are classified into three groups:[SUP][4] Wiki

[/SUP]

Recent events have demonstrated that a sizable proportion of the American population will believe just about anything.

Make that some Indonesians, just like some members of most every cultural group.

I don't know. Saying "some" implies that it's just a small proportion. I was disabused of that theory when our architect told us a story about how he came across a were-chicken while camping with friends. I mean, it was after dark and chickens usually roost after dark, so . . . what else could it possibly have been?

A chicken.

The answer, of course, is that it was just a chicken. If supposedly middle-class, educated architects believe in this kind of stuff then I think it's safe to say that the overwhelming majority of Indonesians do too.

When I was a kid, Norfolk folks were terrified of Black dogs, the belief being that Satan disguised himself as a black dog to take people's souls, I came from Durham so wasn't aware of this superstition, so I would always be surprised when my little gang of tough guys would run away at the site of a stray dog, I used to think it was something to do with rabies, but that had been eliminated well before the war, perhaps a hang over to that time when rabies was prevalent

I had the impression that this thread was about deja vu and, as I had nothing to say, refrained comment.....until I read this open letter to the Saudi King in today's Jakarta Post.

I've redacted some of the letter to be concise and relevant as a lot of content was just fluffing up this King...whose immediate forefathers were tribesmen who killed enemies and kin with abandon...and now being revered like friggin' saints.
I just cannot fathom how religion has become so perverse...surely it wasn't intended to be so.

"Please let me introduce you to a special lady connected to our countries. Her name is Rusmini Wati binti Nakrim. The 31-yearold is from Indramayu, 209 kilometers from Jakarta. Her parents are agricultural laborers. Her husband is a porter at a rice mill. Rusmini strives to relieve her families’ poverty by working in Saudi Arabia as a housekeeper, who departed in 2009.
Rusmini worked for Abdul Aziz Muh Al Zanidi. For two years, her total wages were Rp 1.3 million or 365.71 riyal — meaning her monthly wage was only Rp 54.167 or 15.24 riyal. Finally, Rusmini wanted to return to Indonesia. However, the employer refused her request and reported Rusmini to police on charges of
casting a spell over her female employer.

Yet on July 1, 2012, Rusmini was sentenced to death and was fined 1 million riyal or Rp 3.5 billion. Alhamdulillah, in January 2015, upon the King’s mercy, Rusmini was pardoned from the death sentence. However, her sentence was commuted to eight years’ imprisonment. In September 2016, the fine was commuted to four years imprisonment.
Therefore, she has to undergo 12 years of imprisonment and flogging. Rusmini has served half of her sentence and has been
flogged 1,200 times.
Perhaps I don’t understand about the legal system in Saudi Arabia. However, Rusmini’s family and I are sure that Rusmini did not cast a spell over her employer. The King’s abrogation of the death sentence implies the accusations were unproven.
We thank you for the abrogation of the death sentence. However, 12 years of imprisonment and the flogging for things she did not do is unjust.
I believe King Salman would be unable to tolerate Rusmini’s sufferings. I beg for your mercy to release Rusmini and to send her home. Hopefully, her release would become a milestone in Indonesia-Saudi Arabia bilateral relations. Both countries have committed to build economic cooperation based on humanity and justice, mutual respect and solidarity.
RIEKE DIAH PITALOKA MEMBER, INDONESIAN MIGRANT WORKER SUPERVISORY TEAM HOUSE REPRESENTATIVES OF JAKARTA"

I don't know. Saying "some" implies that it's just a small proportion....If supposedly middle-class, educated architects believe in this kind of stuff then I think it's safe to say that the overwhelming majority of Indonesians do too.

So ya, sound reasonable: I met one guy who was screwed up, so, of course, most everyone of the same nationality must also be similarly deranged. Case closed.

So ya, sound reasonable: I met one guy who was screwed up, so, of course, most everyone of the same nationality must also be similarly deranged. Case closed.

So ya, feel free to make your own estimation based on your own experience.

In my estimation, your estimations are not will supported.

Estimation based on one own experience is now, scientific?

Of course not. That's the point. Anecdotal is not particularly reliable.

Right, but this is a forum for expats (and sundries) in Indonesia, not a forum for anthropologists. Context is important. Are you going to make such comments after every anecdote? It's telling that you didn't make your own estimation. Why not?

EDIT: Aduh. Almost forgot. No bickering allowed. I won't comment again.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819